SiouxSports.com Forum

Seriously NCHC, 4 obvious blown calls?

siouxnami

Referring to me about bitching or in general?...Who's we?? I was watching with buddies and we all say it was a bad non call and that UND benefited with the goal. No doubt like TH mentioned and many others as well watching the game.

In general, not you specifically...

"We" meaning UND fans, again, in general...

Now, about that winter hat...

Is anyone firing off complaints to the NCHC today after the Pattyn no-call in the UND crease that led to a Sioux breakout and the Stecher goal?

I didn't think so...

Was also watching game and mentioned to my son who was watching the game with me, that Ithought they missed an interference or hook on that play.

With it being a part-time gig, it isn't like there was a whole shelf of new tools to choose from.  Not a chance the league could afford to put a full roster of referees and linesman on the payroll and train them the way people want it done.  The idea of trying to be a feeder system is intriguing, but again, I think you are going to run into the same issues.

With that attitude it is not much wonder nothing has changed.    It certainly didn't have to be the same lunatics running the asylum.

With that attitude it is not much wonder nothing has changed. It certainly didn't have to be the same lunatics running the asylum.

That type of attitude has been lingering with und's athletic department since the transition to d1-football(moving in the right direction now hopefully) and basketball. Coincidence that Und was the catalyst of the new conference?

At what point does the hammer come down and we refuse to accept mediocrity?

What's your solution then?

Solutions were available to the league two years ago but instead it hired from within the same pool to oversee the officiating.   They could have hired a retired professional official who wasn't all huggy touchy feely with your Sheperds, Andersons etc.   There is still no accountability so please share with us why you think we had to be left with the same old stain on the game.   

Solutions were available to the league two years ago but instead it hired from within the same pool to oversee the officiating.   They could have hired a retired professional official who wasn't all huggy touchy feely with your Sheperds, Andersons etc.   There is still no accountability so please share with us why you think we had to be left with the same old stain on the game.   

I completely understand the frustration, but it seems that every conference in country has an officiating problem--at least the fans constantly complain about it.   If that is true (and I admit I can't prove it), then improving matters would have required some major changes, not just by NCHC but throughout college hockey.   That is a complicated matter and probably expensive.   Necessary, perhaps, but far more complicated than just giving some refs the boot.  

At least that's the way it looks to me.   And I'm never wrong, you know. 

I completely understand the frustration, but it seems that every conference in country has an officiating problem--at least the fans constantly complain about it.   If that is true (and I admit I can't prove it), then improving matters would have required some major changes, not just by NCHC but throughout college hockey.   That is a complicated matter and probably expensive.   Necessary, perhaps, but far more complicated than just giving some refs the boot.  

Having a retired NHL official in charge when all of the leagues restructured would not have been that expensive.  They have pensions already and most of them probably would have welcomed the opportunity to stay involved in the game.  More importantly they could hold the old duds accountable and teach the up and comers the right way to officiate.

Having a retired NHL official in charge when all of the leagues restructured would not have been that expensive.  They have pensions already and most of them probably would have welcomed the opportunity to stay involved in the game.  More importantly they could hold the old duds accountable and teach the up and comers the right way to officiate.

They hold a training camp every year before the season, which the B1G has started to do for their ref's.

I keep hearing the excuse that there's so few officials that were stuck with the crud. 

The NCHC held a camp for officials before the season.

The NCAA used to run with a (one) referee and two linesmen on the ice. I'm advocating going to that on the ice and a live "eye in the sky".

And I'd like to see USA Hockey, the IIHL, and the NHL create a developmental program for officials. You find the good ones from the lower ranks, and move them ON MERIT AND SKILL through HS, juniors, the NCAA, the AHL, and finally the best end up in the NHL. We claim officials are professionals; why not run them up to the pro ranks the same way the pro players get there.

The NCAA used to run with a (one) referee and two linesmen on the ice. I'm advocating going to that on the ice and a live "eye in the sky".

And I'd like to see USA Hockey, the IIHL, and the NHL create a developmental program for officials. You find the good ones from the lower ranks, and move them ON MERIT AND SKILL through HS, juniors, the NCAA, the AHL, and finally the best end up in the NHL. We claim officials are professionals; why not run them up to the pro ranks the same way the pro players get there.

Going that way is a fine idea but the kids get burned out.  You have kids that do it a couple of years and then say i'm done getting yelled at by drunk Canadians or coaches that whine on every call.  middle of janruary i was reffing a tournament were the hibbing coach whined and whined and whined until one of the local refs finally gave into him and 5 and gamed the opposing team's best player for a "hit from behind" that could have only happened if the kid gave up the puck stop turn around and hit the guy behind him

I volunteer to teach this class next season. 

That system does exist. College hockey just doesn't participate in it.

Phantom calls and missed slashes happen every game and are not really worth mentioning.  #4, a replay review where the puck is without question well over the line and play has not been stopped ... well, that's as bad as I've seen.  It is no sin they didn't see it live.  The guy was in perfect position but his view was obscured.  Video review gives them the chance to correct an honest error, and I can't see the point of even having a review if this is the outcome.

This is why getting rid of goal judges was a bad idea and one I hope they fix.

This is why getting rid of goal judges was a bad idea .

You don't need a goal judge behind the net in today's college hockey world. We just need to have adequate video angles. This is much better than someone sitting behind the net. They're not going to see every angle either. 

• Upvote 1

You don't need a goal judge behind the net in today's college hockey world. We just need to have adequate video angles. This is much better than someone sitting behind the net. They're not going to see ever angle either. 

I just don't believe that you can replace human eyes with electronic eyes and get the same results.  Using both humans and computers would be the best path to take.

You don't need a goal judge behind the net in today's college hockey world. We just need to have adequate video angles. This is much better than someone sitting behind the net. They're not going to see ever angle either. 

Goal judges make mistakes just like regular refs.  In most arenas that still have goal judges, just for the heck of it, they are boosters of the school who are given a nice seat to watch the game.