SiouxSports.com Forum

Seriously NCHC, 4 obvious blown calls?

siouxnami

The reversal of a seemingly clean CC game-tying goal with just under ten minutes to play in the third period ultimately affects the other teams in the conference, not just CC and Miami.

By winning last night, Miami picked up 3 additional points, moving them into a first place tie. A loss or a tie last night and it would be a two-way tie for first. Bad officiating in a game affects more than just the two teams on the ice-it can affect the outcome of the conference standings.

I just don't want to see teams-whoever they may be-win or lose as a result of mistakes made of this magnitude by officials. End of rant.

I've already given my suggestion for a solution: http://boardsroom.blogspot.com

I was at the game and texting with a couple people who were watching on TV and telling me how they could see all the mugging going on in front of the DU net that wasn't being called. Maybe if the officials had to see how their product was being viewed by the world they'd start to make the calls.

Caggiula was hooked and hit in the head/neck with a stick when he scored. How do you not call that?

Then again, what's wrong with a three, four, or five goal lead?

When you go up by two goals you:

a) Assume it's enough and go defensive shell mode

b) Play to get the next goal, and the next, and the next, and the next. So what if you make the other team/coach look bad.

Sounds like a lot of money, what are the current salaries?

Linesmen 350.00 per game

Referee 500.00 per game.

Roughly....

Remember this. All of the linesmen and referees have regular full-time jobs during the week. This is not their only source of income. Like stated above in other comments, you'll have to pay for the "high grade" officials.

If you compare their pay to a NCAA DI basketball referee.... You'd be shocked. Basketball referees make between 1,000.00-3,500.00 per game.

Hockey officials are are becoming a rare breed... And great hockey officials are becoming even more rare.

And this is why the NCHC needs to become a development resource for officials.

The USHL does it with USA Hockey. Officials are rated and graded, developed, and the best are advanced to the next levels. The best of the best rise up the ranks and appear in the NHL and international competitions. There's no reason the NCHC and college hockey in general shouldn't be a development platform for officials.

College officials seems to have lifetime tenure with no fear of repercussion or worry of replacement.

Wow he officiates 315 (110000/350) games per year, busy guy especially with another full time job,  hmmm   something does not seem right here'

College officials are part time, they also have full time jobs.  I believe that the official Vegas is talking about works in the NHL.  They are full time officials and don't have another full time job.  He would work the 82 game season plus any playoff games he would be assigned.  He makes more than $350/game, he makes $110-115,000 per year.  The salaries of $150-250,000 are probably average to high average of what NHL officials make per year.

The $350-500 per game number would be what college officials make.  They probably work 30-50 games per year depending on schedules.  40 games at $350 per game is $14,000, a little bit less than the $150,000 for a full time linesman in the NHL.

So if the league doubled the pay to 1000 per game could the quality of officials be improved and could the league afford it?

My guess is that you wouldn't attract a lot of more qualified officials.  You either have to compete with the professional leagues, or try to develop officials like tSic suggested.  Otherwise you are competing for the same group of part time officials.  And most of them need to work within their own regional area as much as possible because of travel time and dealing with their regular jobs.

As far as whether the league could afford it, they could probably afford the $1,000 per game by making some other budget changes but it would probably be difficult to compete with the professional leagues.

I think everyone might be missing something here.

Before this weekend I intended to start a thread discussing the extreme officiating tilt which seems to occur against us in EVERY Denver Sseries. I have posted multiple times over the last 10 years commenting on how poor the calls were against the Sioux in these Denver serieses.

I cannot recall the last time I was inclined to voice my concerns with respect to one sided reffing in games against anyone else. (Maybe back in the day in games against the gophers but I honestly don't recall ever doing so).

In contrast, I cannot remember a series against Denver where I wasn't apaulled to the point of being driven to say something about it on here.

So then vs Denver always, vs everyone else never?? Hmmm? Is it just me??

When you go up by two goals you:

a) Assume it's enough and go defensive shell mode

b) Play to get the next goal, and the next, and the next, and the next. So what if you make the other team/coach look bad.

It's obvious UND prefers "A"...problem is " A" didn't work Saturday and hasn't work in a majority of games the past few seasons.

Personally I like "B".........

I really wish Schlossman, or someone else at the Herald would do a piece that takes the NCHC officials to task over this weekends series. I attended both games and couldn't believe the very, very poor level of officiating. Most of the issues I had have already been addressed in this thread, but I would like someone from the mainstream media go after Adams and co. to have some accountability. No offense to Goon, but maybe there would be a better chance to get a reaction from the league if something came from the printed media. I hope the Herald is listening. Denver plays CC this weekend so it would be beneficial to all teams in the hunt for the Penrose if Moore was suspended for at least one game.

I am certainly a homer but watching the saturday game in particular really got me fired up. I rarely yell at the tv, but saturday night i found myself yelling at the tv multiple times. It is extremely rare that officiating actually affects the end result but an argument can be made that this happened here. 

It's obvious UND prefers "A"...problem is " A" didn't work Saturday and hasn't work in a majority of games the past few seasons.

Personally I like "B".........

Isn't Hakstol's record when leading going into the 3rd period impeccable? Can't remember the stat but I seem to recall his teams being very good at finishing games.

Also, let's not pretend like our defense played terrible. Zane let in a goal from the half-wall and one from below the goal line.  I thought our defense played very well in the 3rd period. Zane let in 2 bad goals by his standards and we had a good goal waved off. Realistically this game should have been a 5-2 or 5-3 win at worst.  All of the above things combined vs. a good top 10 Denver team will result in giving up a 2 goal lead. I don't think our issue was going into a "defensive shell".

• Upvote 1

I really wish Schlossman, or someone else at the Herald would do a piece that takes the NCHC officials to task over this weekends series. I attended both games and couldn't believe the very, very poor level of officiating. Most of the issues I had have already been addressed in this thread, but I would like someone from the mainstream media go after Adams and co. to have some accountability. No offense to Goon, but maybe there would be a better chance to get a reaction from the league if something came from the printed media. I hope the Herald is listening. Denver plays CC this weekend so it would be beneficial to all teams in the hunt for the Penrose if Moore was suspended for at least one game.

^^^^^^^^THIS, call these a**holes out in the media!!!!!

• Upvote 2

I agree with Inheaventheresnobeer guy. The 3rd period collapse was kind of the perfect storm. They came out a little flat for the first 3-4 minutes, Denver took advantage and Zane gave up a couple of soft goals. Add to this the incompetence of the officiating crew and we escaped with a tie. Let's also give a little credit to Denver. They are a solid hockey team that took full advantage of our lapses in play and referees that let them mug our players. I don't blame them with all the muggings they got away with. If the officials are not going to penalize them, why wouldn't they do it when down on the scoreboard. Which leads me to my final point, the officials in this league officiate the scoreboard. You see it every week, especially in games that are separated by a goal or two. It is very frustrating!!

^^^^^^^^THIS, call these a**holes out in the media!!!!!

Unfortunately the status quo has been they don't like to offend league officials, from the top down. Maybe they figure they won't get a good interview in the future. It's sad, but they (local media, TV, radio, and newspaper) have a hard time asking any controversial questions to league officials and even university coaching staff. It's been this way since I can remember (early 80's) so I guess it has been passed on from media personnel to their replacements. That said, we do have quality media personnel that cover the game, they just don't like to get out of their comfort zone by asking tough questions and doing controversial pieces. Goon does a good job with this, but he doesn't get the coverage that the mainstream media get!

Unfortunately the status quo has been they don't like to offend league officials, from the top down. Maybe they figure they won't get a good interview in the future. It's sad, but they (local media, TV, radio, and newspaper) have a hard time asking any controversial questions to league officials and even university coaching staff. It's been this way since I can remember (early 80's) so I guess it has been passed on from media personnel to their replacements. That said, we do have quality media personnel that cover the game, they just don't like to get out of their comfort zone by asking tough questions and doing controversial pieces. Goon does a good job with this, but he doesn't get the coverage that the mainstream media get!

So another words refs can screw teams over and get away with it, that will solve alot

One thing I like out of this whole situation, is that I haven't heard the same complaining about officiating from the coaches and the players.  It is fine for us to rehash all of the poor calls, but it is unhealthy for the players and coaches to get caught up in all of this, as there were still circumstances where they could have changed the outcome beyond the poor officiating.  Keep the players accountable going forward, and good things can happen.  You are most likely going to get a few bad calls here and there in the NCAA tournament, but this seemed to be a perfect storm of bad calls.  Hopefully the way they reacted will put them in good shape going forward, by controlling what they can control.  

If "I intended to blow the whistle" is a legitimate excuse for a referee to waive off a goal, why isn't it an excuse to call a retroactive penalty? 

"I intended to blow the whistle and call that hook on the Caggiula goal, so I'm calling it now as we go into OT." 

I probably shouldn't be giving them ideas. 

Would the media dare to rock the boat, hard to report on anything if you are denied access.  It has been brought up several times that no one will ask Coach Hakstol the hard questions, is it the same environment when the league or league officials are faced with hard questions?  It won't be the first time we have to beat the refs too, but if Moore had caused another incident or does in the future, would the league be libel for not taking the manner seriously enough?  Of course pursuing this avenue can back fire, does Prpich have any kids coming up?

I agree with Inheaventheresnobeer guy. The 3rd period collapse was kind of the perfect storm. They came out a little flat for the first 3-4 minutes, Denver took advantage and Zane gave up a couple of soft goals. Add to this the incompetence of the officiating crew and we escaped with a tie. Let's also give a little credit to Denver. They are a solid hockey team that took full advantage of our lapses in play and referees that let them mug our players. I don't blame them with all the muggings they got away with. If the officials are not going to penalize them, why wouldn't they do it when down on the scoreboard. Which leads me to my final point, the officials in this league officiate the scoreboard. You see it every week, especially in games that are separated by a goal or two. It is very frustrating!!

Great post.  Officiating was terrible last weekend, but even on a better weekend it is still poor.  You are correct the officials officiate to the scoreboard or number of penalties assessed to each team.  Regardless, the make total penalties equal by the end of the game in most cases.

I have addressed officiating in the past http://thehockeywriters.com/time-for-college-hockey-to-use-video-review-on-major-penalties/,

http://thehockeywriters.com/ncaa-hockey-needs-review-process-game-misconducts/ and

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2014/1/28/5352762/ncaa-hockey-time-to-punish-the-players-that-embellish