SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Sacramento St.

bincitysioux

Jones needs to go he has no clue how to coach. Among other things his teams are selfish and cannot rebound (and have no idea how to box out).  This is not a one year issue, it has been an ongoing issue every year with many, many players.

This game was tied with 1:05 to go and UND had the ball.  Proper game management would not have allowed Sac State to have the last possession going for the win.  UND used up almost the entire shot clock to get off a poor percentage attempt (by a player who is out of control too often).

Until he is replaced UND has no chance of being anything more than a .500 team.

• Upvote 2

They just ball

I'll admit I don't watch as much of this team as most of you but I did watch most of the game tonight. The team has really some good parts but the parts are not close to equalling a cohesive whole.

"Just ball" isn't too far off.

Poor rebounding really is nothing more than lack of effort and willingness to compete.

I'll admit I don't watch as much of this team as most of you but I did watch most of the gametonight. The team has really some good parts but the parts are not close to equalling a cohesive whole.

That's a pretty good summation. Honestly tonight was as good as I've seen them play this year. Other than the rebounding (again), they were pretty good in most of the areas where they are normally deficient. Make one more layup, make one more three, or get one more rebound and the outcome is different.

As Bill Belichick would say, we're on to Portland St.

With Shanks in the middle, Hooker and Crandall at guard positions, and with the commits UND has got coming in, UND will got to the NCAAs within three years.  Almost certainly not this year, but there are some real building blocks on this team that we didn't have before.  Yeah, Huff & Co made it to the finals of the Big Sky the last couple of years, but it never felt like the dance was inevitable.  With the talent aboard and coming aboard, it is now inevitable - with coaching - that Shank's class will see the NCAA's.

With Shanks in the middle, Hooker and Crandall at guard positions, and with the commits UND has got coming in, UND will got to the NCAAs within three years. Almost certainly not this year, but there are some real building blocks on this team that we didn't have before. Yeah, Huff & Co made it to the finals of the Big Sky the last couple of years, but it never felt like the dance was inevitable. With the talent aboard and coming aboard, it is now inevitable - with coaching - that Shank's class will see the NCAA's.

Key piece of your post is "with coaching." I'm afraid that hasn't been a trademark of coach Jones in his time at UND. I'd love for him to prove me wrong. I do agree that Shanks, Hooker, and Crandall have potential to be good players and could get us to the top of the Big Sky, now let's see if that potential can be developed.

its not the coaching that is getting us killed on the boards its the 3 point guard lineup that is killing us...what is so wrong with two point guards (kind of like last year with webb and anderson) and josiah at the three, nash at the four and shanks at the five...so hooker, terrell, coleman, nash and shanks...so six five, six eight, and seven foot at the three four and five....

With Shanks in the middle, Hooker and Crandall at guard positions, and with the commits UND has got coming in, UND will got to the NCAAs within three years. With the talent aboard and coming aboard, it is now inevitable - with coaching....

Wow, 2017 or 2018 is shaping up to be a big year for UND sports...newest member of FBS football, beating NDSU in women's volleyball by scores of 25-5 in all 3 sets, and now, a trip to the NCAA tournament in men's basketball! I can't wait!

• Upvote 3

Wow, 2017 or 2018 is shaping up to be a big year for UND sports...newest member of FBS football, beating NDSU in women's volleyball by scores of 25-5 in all 3 sets, and now, a trip to the NCAA tournament in men's basketball! I can't wait!

I hope his crystal ball has a Packer's win in it for this Sunday too.

UND cannot realistically be expected to beat the #5 team in the Big Sky when they are the #9 team.  Let's be real.

Portland State is picked #5/#7 in the two polls so UND can't be expected to win that one either.  There should be some more doormats coming up here that UND can contend with.  

Why did Jones not call a timeout after Sac made that basket?

Pretty sure you can't advance the ball with a timeout.  You are still going to get a halfcourt shot at best and you're give the defense a little more time to set up along with making sure the guy inbounding the ball is guarded.  Not sure UND gets a better shot off taking a timeout.  I'm more surprised about not pressing for a 2 for 1 when UND got possession with 52 seconds left.

That was disappointing.  Had the projected #4 team beat and couldn't close it out.

I will disagree with a previous post. Granted anything can happen but with 2.5 seconds left after a timeout, it is very possible to get better shot than a half court fling. You can call a timeout and then make a pass towards half court and immediately call another timeout. After that 2nd timeout it is very possible to get a much better shot. It happens all the time in basketball. No guarantees what is going to be the result, but clock management last night was terrible. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do think we had 2 timeouts left.

Pretty sure you can't advance the ball with a timeout.  You are still going to get a halfcourt shot at best and you're give the defense a little more time to set up along with making sure the guy inbounding the ball is guarded.  Not sure UND gets a better shot off taking a timeout.  I'm more surprised about not pressing for a 2 for 1 when UND got possession with 52 seconds left.

That was disappointing.  Had the projected #4 team beat and couldn't close it out.

Agreed.  Time management at the end of the game was awful. However, the biggest key to the loss was all the missed layups we had.  So many easy buckets in the first half that didn't go in.  This is a game that we had and let slip away. 

That being said, I was impressed with the defense.  We held Sac St. well below their average in points.  If they can figure out the offense, we shouldn't be too bad.

Also, very impressed with Shanks.  He deffinitely has potential.  Played great defensively blocking/altering shots.  And he can make free throws!!  Excited to see how good he can get.  Get some meat on those bones and he could be a dominant force for us down in the post.  Something this team has not had in a long time.