SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting advantage.

Siouxperfan7

IRA & TJAMZ: THE PERSONAL MESSAGE CENTER WOULD BE A BETTER AVENUE TO CONTINUE YOUR CONVERSATION. IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ON TOPIC TO THE THREAD.

SIOUXSPORTS.COM MODERATING TEAM

Wouldn't it be easier to just delete the troll posts from ndsu fans (or ban them) who come here for the sole purpose of stirring up trouble?

It seems rather insulting to blame UND fans for responding. And yes.... I guess we could all just ignore the troll posts.... But then, we would have a lovely site filled with horseshiite posts from bison fans with no rebuttals. See the problem here?

Please consider tweaking your moderation policies.

Thank you.

Probably time to lock this bitch up...  I cringed the first day I saw it posted, knowing it was destined to turn into the usual pi$$ing match within 5 minutes.  Sucks to come here looking for legit UND football news/thoughts/discussion & be inundated with the same sh*t day after day from the mighty bisens fans.

Here is the way I see it.

SU currently has a recruiting advantage due to:

• when they went D1 first they had more money to offer - I know of at one high profile recruit who told UND he would come if they could match the full ride that SU offered but they couldn't so he went to SU
  • During our transition SU had the advantage of having something to play for (playoffs) when we didn't - I know of another high end player who told UND that he was choosing SU for that reason.
  • Their recent success is a big advantage currently

It will take time to overcome this situation but believe that we will like we did in the past and ended up the series winning 10 of the last 13. 

• Upvote 1

http://medical-schools.findthebest.com/l/110/University-of-North-Dakota-School-of-Medicine-and-Health-Sciences

Research Smart Rank: 110 out of 157 (Below Average)

Primary Care Smart Rank: 148 out of 157 (Damn near the worst)

MCAT Score: 29 out of 45 (3 points below average)

Overall Rank: 124 out of 157 (well below average and in the bottom 1/3)

I have strong ties to the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences and the state of North Dakota, so I'm actually able to understand the importance of this medical school, unlike the basic academics that arise from NDSU.

North Dakota is a rural state; that's just how it is.

Therefore, rural medicine is the top priority. Also, given the oil boom in the western part of the state, the influx of people and the rising state population, and the poor physician to patient ratio, the necessity of the ONLY medical school in the state of North Dakota is high.

Yes, the UNDSMHS is not highly ranked in many categories, but it is highly reputable in those that matter. For instance, it is tied for the 2nd best rural medicine program in the nation!

Source: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/rural-medicine-rankings

By no means is the UNDSMHS the "worst" medical school in the country, as stated by some NDSU trolls. If NDSU graduates can't look through their green and yellow goggles and see the state importance of UND and their medical program, then I guess my occasional criticism of NDSU's educational quality seems justified.

• Upvote 2

Yes, the UNDSMHS is not highly ranked in many categories, but it is highly reputable in those that matter. For instance, it is tied for the 2nd best rural medicine program in the nation!

And it's highly ranked in family practice. 

http://www.med.und.edu/news/2014/05/und-receives-top-ranking-by-american-academy-of-family-physicians.cfm

Well, I started as a candistriper before man landed on the moon, spring of 1969. I have been in health care since and

38 years as a registered nurse. Every grad of UND's medical school I have worked with was an EXCELLENY hands-on

diagnostic doctor, all exemplary, totally (and proud of their alma mater). I can not count the number of doctors

who I have come in contact with. The BEST, BEST, Family Practice Physician I have ever worked with was from UND Medical School. Did he have the Harvard AST scores? NA when he went to school. Did he have the top MCAT score? NA when he went to school. That data does not show common sense and commitment, only grades. It takes much more than a GPA to

practice medicine.

So is this thread recruiting football players, medical school applicants, or both?

Wouldn't it be easier to just delete the troll posts from ndsu fans (or ban them) who come here for the sole purpose of stirring up trouble?

It seems rather insulting to blame UND fans for responding. And yes.... I guess we could all just ignore the troll posts.... But then, we would have a lovely site filled with horseshiite posts from bison fans with no rebuttals. See the problem here?

Thank you.

^^^^^this

• 1 month later...

So that blogger from Minot is alleging that certain schools in the state are using public money to pad their recruiting/scholarships budgets for athletics. Very interesting.

Huge surprise.... :silly:

Brief summary: It has to do with the matching program the state set up for grants where for every $2 dollars raised privately and donated to one of the higher ed schools, the state would match with $1.  Six different donors contributed a combined $300K to NDSU that was earmarked for athletic scholarships and the state matched it with another $150K (Dickinson State and Minot State each had 2 donors who contributed $80K and $90K respectively and received half that in matching).  The purpose of the grants were to be used for projects dedicated exclusively to the advancement of academics as specifically stated by the legislation that approved the grants.  Football/Athletic scholarships wouldn't seem to fall into that category.

I'll just save the trolls some time and respond for them: Nothing to see here....move along....what's the big deal....Wrigely passed on Zinc's question on it...etc

Thank you.

Couldn't agree more - please be more active with the trolls - we have some here (not you Ira) that just can't help but take the bait time after time

• Upvote 1

This question needs to be answered by the legislature. There can't be grey area on this.

My opinion, it's a pretty big stretch to say this helps bolster academics in any way.

Athletic success equals big time positive publicity for the school and more kids want to go there. It kinda bolsters academics by getting more students.

Athletic success equals big time positive publicity for the school and more kids want to go there. It kinda bolsters academics by getting more students.

Kinda most definitely doesn't fit the legislations exact wording of "exclusively to the advancement of academics".  And getting more students doesn't necessarily bolster academics either despite what Joe Chapman thought when he was working on bankrupting NDSU.

Agree with homer.  The legislature needs to clarify this.

Was that the intent when this bill was passed. The same argument could be made for facilities but the state wants nothing to do with that.

I think your reaching.