SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting advantage.

Siouxperfan7

Let's face it, for a school in eastern ND, your primary area for recruiting (outside of ND) will be MN, WI, IA, SD, IL, NE. I'm not sure how you expect to have major recruiting success vs. SDSU, USD, UNI and other teams that sit and play in that recruiting area. A result of playing in the BSC will be having some struggles with recruiting those states vs. teams playing closer than you play. Of course, recruiting CO, UT, CA, WA, OR ect. . . is no picnic for a team sitting in eastern ND either.

Something to think about.

Some kids may like the idea of road trips to the coast, or playing games in the mountains, versus going to Macomb or Youngstown.

• Upvote 3

Hmmm a bus ride to Macomb or a flight to Missoula - which stadium/game day atmosphere is more appealing? Okay we get it you think that if FU offers it's a done deal- we're happy for you. See you later. Don't call us we'll call you. 

It certainly hurts us, no one will argue that, and I feel us just making the playoffs compared to their titles isn't going to do much for us either.   To really make a splash, we need to actually win a couple playoff games and at some point, get a signature D1 win.   Right now, we have to start making the playoffs and hoping we make a run and then improve from there.   I can't imagine Bubba can get the best in the land right now, but we can work up to it.   It beats me how NDSU got so good so fast?   Mussman had his problems, but we were just getting smoked for a few years.

You make a good point.  With the expanded playoff field, if you aren't one of the top 24 teams in FCS you are doing it wrong.

Idaho st. would argue with you. They seem to be doing something right and weren't i. The committees top 24

They scheduled 2 FBS games, a game vs something called Simon Fraser, and finished with 4 losses.  If the UND admin set the football program up to fail like that we would be calling for Faison's head (more than some here already are).  Or, there's also no law against doing what some other FCS schools have done-win a game vs an FBS opponent.

They most certainly did do it wrong.

Let's face it, for a school in eastern ND, your primary area for recruiting (outside of ND) will be MN, WI, IA, SD, IL, NE.    I'm not sure how you expect to have major recruiting success vs. SDSU, USD, UNI and other teams that sit and play in that recruiting area.  A result of playing in the BSC will be having some struggles with recruiting those states vs. teams playing closer than you play.   Of course, recruiting  CO, UT, CA, WA, OR ect. . .  is no picnic for a team sitting in eastern ND either.

So you are leaving us a triangle between Grand Forks, International Falls, and Walhalla.  Then throw in Canada, Alaska, the north pole, and maybe Iceland and that's the only places NDSU will allow us to recruit?  Thanks Turd, I mean Herd.  The broad moronic brush of NDSU fans is nauseating.

Al Gore and the Wright Brothers..........something to think about.  (Al Gore invented the internet)

In spite of the MVFC being the strongest conference this year there is still something about the Big Sky that kids connect with.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that UND is the only school at the FCS level that has a chartered plane for their football team to every away game.  So as much as our friends to the south want to rip on the Big Sky for the amount of travel, that is a pretty significant perk. 

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that UND is the only school at the FCS level that has a chartered plane for their football team to every away game.  So as much as our friends to the south want to rip on the Big Sky for the amount of travel, that is a pretty significant perk. 

(This is where those 'friends' from the south point out that the closest conference away game in the BSC is 800 or more miles. ... Wait for it ... ) 

They scheduled 2 FBS games, a game vs something called Simon Fraser, and finished with 4 losses.  If the UND admin set the football program up to fail like that we would be calling for Faison's head (more than some here already are).  Or, there's also no law against doing what some other FCS schools have done-win a game vs an FBS opponent.

They most certainly did do it wrong.

They turned around from a bottom dweller in the conference to being in playoff discussion.  Since the NCAA changed the rule that D2 games now count for playoff consideration, you can't argue against Simon Fraser, there biggest fault was scheduling two D2 games.  You could just as easily substitute Incarnate Word in there, get your W and call it good as an FCS win.  As far as scheduling 2 FBS games, more than just Idaho did it this year. 

However from the standpoint of turning a program around, getting to 7 wins and showing the improvement they did certainly won't hurt anything.

UND has gone away. SDSU and UNI out recruit you in addition to NDSU.

In addition, the fact that UND plays in the big sky will continue to hurt them in recruiting.

What word would I use to describe this arrogant and asinine post?  I think I would call it.......

OVERCONFIDENCE!!!

The ultimate enemy of all success.

We return you to regularly scheduled bickering. :p

They turned around from a bottom dweller in the conference to being in playoff discussion.  Since the NCAA changed the rule that D2 games now count for playoff consideration, you can't argue against Simon Fraser, there biggest fault was scheduling two D2 games.  You could just as easily substitute Incarnate Word in there, get your W and call it good as an FCS win.  As far as scheduling 2 FBS games, more than just Idaho did it this year. 

However from the standpoint of turning a program around, getting to 7 wins and showing the improvement they did certainly won't hurt anything.

Don't misunderstand, I have tremendous respect for what their coaching staff and players did on the field this year, and I think they were good enough to make the field.

You saw the schedule.  To see the teams they would need to beat to make the field really put them in a bad spot to make the playoffs.  Their administration failed them.

Do you guys think UM is the only FBS school that recruits Minnesota or something ? Every Big 10 school recruits Minnesota. If UM missed out on guys like Billy Turner, so did Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State etc.

A lot of these guys that went to NDSU and went on to play in the NFL were not even close to the same quality player their senior year as freshman. NDSU does a better job of developing players than perhaps any college program in the nation. Who knows. Billy Turner could have went to Minnesota, sat behind more talented players, never developed under coach Kramer and Fuchs, started his senior year and been half the player he was at Minnesota as he was at NDSU.

Someone mentioned Paul Cornick. Paul was a walk on at NDSU for christ sakes. NDSU could have even missed out by not offering a scholarship. Again, clearly he was not Big 10 talent coming into his freshman year. NDSU developed him into an NFL player.

Only guy on this run that was a Big 10 player out of high school was Crockett. He had every Big 10 school after him, but his grades were atrocious due to being homeless.

Up until these last few years, I never saw NDSU winning recruiting battles over quality FBS teams. Last year, QB recruit picked NDSU over a full ride at Rutgers. This year it appears Ben Ellefson is staying at NDSU rather than going to Purdue. They have been getting better at recruiting, not worse. When it comes to ND, these young kids are growing up watching NDSU on Saturdays, watching NDSU on ESPN etc. NDSU will dominate recruiting in ND and western Minnesota for years to come.

Billy Turner was a Big 10 player straight out of high school, the guy started as a true freshman. The coaches were amazed they got him, any Bison fans that try to convince themselves otherwise are fooling themselves. No chance Kill lets him leave the state, Billy was a classic example of Brewster not being able to evaluate talent that doesn't have four or five stars next to his name. If he lived in Wisconsin or Iowa, those coaches don't let him leave the state. 

Kill has been doing a solid job at keeping these players, Ben Lauer would be one example. 

They like the idea of playing touch football, aka Big Sky football. Hardly any tackling goes on in the Big Sky and most players are done with football come Thanksgiving.

Which is why Bubba is putting in running offense and attacking defense systems.  Which will make us different from the other BSC teams.

Nice try troll, please play again.

They like the idea of playing touch football, aka Big Sky football. Hardly any tackling goes on in the Big Sky and most players are done with football come Thanksgiving.

Because of that, UND will be winning that conference within a few years. I see UND having a winning conference record as soon as next year. IMO, given the resources and facilities, the only schools UND should have to really compete with in the BSC are the Montana's and EWU.

Notre Dame gets the best FB players in the cities.

Especially when they go to Cretin although that may be changing as Ohio State got the top player from Minnesota this year and Notre Dame was after him and he did go to Cretin. Oregon is the school right now that is having some success in Minnesota getting probably the #2 player in this years class and the top player in next years class has already committed there as well. They have also offered the #2 player in next years class as has Ohio State and Michigan State but it might be tough for those schools to beat out the Gophers for him as his dad played there and I believe his grandpa was AD at Minnesota for a while and the kid said they've had season tickets and been going to games since he was 8. 

Billy Turner was a Big 10 player straight out of high school, the guy started as a true freshman. The coaches were amazed they got him, any Bison fans that try to convince themselves otherwise are fooling themselves. No chance Kill lets him leave the state, Billy was a classic example of Brewster not being able to evaluate talent that doesn't have four or five stars next to his name. If he lived in Wisconsin or Iowa, those coaches don't let him leave the state. 

Kill has been doing a solid job at keeping these players, Ben Lauer would be one example. 

Gasp for air!!!

You mean the Bison didn't mold Turner from a lump of crap into an NFL player!!

Current players all said he was the best athlete on the team....could throw the ball 70 yards was one interesting tidbit.

Thanks for your honest and very reliable post.