SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO - FRIDAY GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

To clarify my take on tonight, UND looked pretty good, except for that shift after the 1st goal.  And, my point tonight is....UND needs to have a dominant home record, and that is NOT happening so far this year.

In the NCHC, I don't think anyone is going to have a "dominant home record".  But having such a tough schedule will pay off come NCAA tournament time.

Times where we dominated tonight but times where we got real sloppy and kinda lazy with the puck as well. I thought the team was noticeably more physical tonight than in previous games and really thought Poolman stepped up his physical play and really liked the way he played up front. Omaha is a decent team with a few skilled guys and hot right now especially relying on a goalie who is playing very well right now but I don't think they end up an NCAA team or top 4 in the NCHC this season as I really don't think Massa will be able to continue to put up the type of numbers he is. I'm not sure who the refs were but they were absolutely awful and I hope we don't ever see these guys again after this weekend. They seemed like they were trying to bow down to Blais letting Omaha do whatever they wanted to and hitting UND with some pretty weak calls and even when they did call something on Omaha they pulled some BS embellishment call out of nowhere to make sure UND didn't get too much of an advantage. I would guess we see another very physical game from the start tomorrow night and might see some things boil over but either way I think the Sioux come back with a more consistent game tomorrow and get a 2 or 3 goal win.

In the NCHC, I don't think anyone is going to have a "dominant home record".  But having such a tough schedule will pay off come NCAA tournament time.

I respect your opinion always.  But, in my take, UND has to take a lot more pride in their Friday night performances at home.  It has been a weak point to date, and without a strong home record, UND will not have the right pairwise ranking to go far, IMO.

And the "casual fan" would probably love to decide basketball games with a slam dunk contest or baseball games with a home-run hitting contest. But that doesn't change the fact that they are exhibitions of individual talent being used to decide the outcome of a team game. And that is why the shootout has no place in hockey.

You are preaching to the choir, fs4l...

• Upvote 1

I respect your opinion always.  But, in my take, UND has to take a lot more pride in their Friday night performances at home.  It has been a weak point to date, and without a strong home record, UND will not have the right pairwise ranking to go far, IMO.

Yeah, I am getting tired of the split personality thing at home.  We have two road sweeps this year, do we even have ONE at home?  I don't think so.

Yeah, I am getting tired of the split personality thing at home. We have two road sweeps this year, do we even have ONE at home? I don't think so.

To be fair, the home vs road competition has been quite lopsided so far. Everyone has beaten Wisconsin & CC this year.

Anyone think J. Schmaltz has been sloppy/lazy in his own zone this year? I'm wondering where that dominant skater/stickhandler was I loved watching last year.

He looked terrible tonite. Stood around with the puck repeatedly, backed out of the zone when with a little effort he could have held the puck in the zone and just looked like he didn't want to be on the ice. Sit him for a game and get his attention.

UNO was the better team in my opinion. Lucky to get a point.

Much better team tonite. Sioux passing was terrible and lack of hustle was scary.

Omaha is 4th in the Pairwise.

UND is 12th in the Pairwise.

The Pairwise is actually used to select NCAA tournament teams.

The polls are not. So doesn't that make the polls irrelevant?

Why do we continue to put the polls ranking next to the teams on the tv? You'd think UND was the better team, but according to the thing that ACTUALLY selects NCAA teams they are actually reversed. Doesn't his create confusion?

He looked terrible tonite. Stood around with the puck repeatedly, backed out of the zone when with a little effort he could have held the puck in the zone and just looked like he didn't want to be on the ice. Sit him for a game and get his attention

I'd seriously consider sitting him. He has looked as complacent as ever. I love what he brings to the table but I'm not seeing it yet this year.

Omaha is 4th in the Pairwise.

UND is 12th in the Pairwise.

The Pairwise is actually used to select NCAA tournament teams.

The polls are not. So doesn't that make the polls irrelevant?

Why do we continue to put the polls ranking next to the teams on the tv? You'd think UND was the better team, but according to the thing that helps select NCAA teams they are actually reversed. Doesn't his create confusion?

Pairwise is extremedy volatile this time of year. Talk to me in January when it starts to collect a big enough sample size.

I'd seriously consider sitting him. He has looked as complacent as ever. I love what he brings to the table but I'm not seeing it yet this year.

Trying to figure out if it is just because he is a first rounder and under the microscope, but man it seems like he has his moments. What do the experts say?

He looked terrible tonite. Stood around with the puck repeatedly, backed out of the zone when with a little effort he could have held the puck in the zone and just looked like he didn't want to be on the ice. Sit him for a game and get his attention.

I was at the game and I couldn't agree more.  Looked like a far cry from a 1st rounder.

Not the type of game I expected....very little flow. UNDs 2nd period was 17 minutes of standing and watching lead by the Schmaltz brothers. The repeated dumb and lazy plays that are frequent with this team are mind numbing. BTW UNO skill wise isnt close to even being top 4 in the NCHC. Wasn't impressed.

With 14 family attending the game my oldest daughter and some others had seats next to some non dressed UND players. Chyzyk's arm wasn't in a sling.

Expect a better game and win from UND tonight.

• Upvote 1

3 of the last 6 goals we've conceded have come off UND defenders.    We're due for a little puck luck. 

I'd love to see Poolman playing defense tonight.    The question would then be which other defenseman gets moved up front to cover his spot .... Mattson? (I can't see Schmaltz getting moved there, despite his recent weak play.)    

There was also a message sent by coaching staff in dropping Mattson from the top powerplay unit in favor of Poolman.    Would love to see Stecher in that spot.   I thought Stecher had another solid game.

And Ausmus still reminds me of James Patrick at the same age.   Terrific lateral quickness ... I liked that he played with a chip on his shoulder, especially during the early part of the game last night.