SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO - FRIDAY GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

UNO was the better team in my opinion. Lucky to get a point.

^^^^This.

Our guys looked like too many have families in GF and took teammates home for a massive dinner Thursday, followed by pie and late night sandwiches.  

Omaha looked more like Dean fed them at the salad bar and left 'em hungry enough to eat points for dinner.  

We dodged a loss, plain and simple.  I counted 4 pipes on basically open net Omaha shots.

I'm thinking the Seniors need to ramp it up a couple notches tonight and bury that puck early and often.  These three points matter, a bunch.

3 of the last 6 goals we've conceded have come off UND defenders. We're due for a little puck luck.

Agree with some unfortunate puck luck but there was lots of standing and watching on that shift.

The game turned IMO after UND puked up the lead 30+ seconds after breaking the ice.

Maybe tonight is where Murphy gets a shot and plays w Nick and LJ with Colton dropping to Gaarder's line. Pooly then back to D w Mattson sitting.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we played all that bad last night and by no means did Omaha dominate us last night.  They outshot us by like 5 shots and they were throwing the puck at the net every time they crossed the blue line.  There were times in the third that UNO actually looked decent but during the first two periods they looked either star struck or bad, one of the two.  When we started moving our feet we were obviously head and shoulders above them.  Their goalie played very well.  Scoring chances is not a recognized stat but we had so many during the first and early second, just couldn't capitalize.  I would say that we will come out and crush them tonight but UNO seemed to get better as the game went along last night.

Agree with some unfortunate puck luck but there was lots of standing and watching on that shift.

The game turned IMO after UND puked up the lead 30+ seconds after breaking the ice.

Maybe tonight is where Murphy gets a shot and plays w Nick and LJ with Colton dropping to Gaarder's line. Pooly then back to D w Mattson sitting.

I'm starting to concede, Mattson needs to sit.  That second goal was all his fault and there were other times during the game where he attempted to make fancy passes only for him to giveaway the puck..

^^^^This.

Our guys looked like too many have families in GF and took teammates home for a massive dinner Thursday, followed by pie and late night sandwiches.  

Omaha looked more like Dean fed them at the salad bar and left 'em hungry enough to eat points for dinner.  

We dodged a loss, plain and simple.  I counted 4 pipes on basically open net Omaha shots.

I'm thinking the Seniors need to ramp it up a couple notches tonight and bury that puck early and often.  These three points matter, a bunch.

Omaha hit 4 pipes? I saw 1 for Omaha and 1 for UND. UND got caught standing around in the 2nd after taking the lead and late in the 3rd but there were also periods were UND was the dominant team I think a tie was probably the rightful result tonight. Hoping the puck luck turns in UND's favor today and we don't give up any goals off our own defensemen tonight.

Not the type of game I expected....very little flow. UNDs 2nd period was 17 minutes of standing and watching lead by the Schmaltz brothers. The repeated dumb and lazy plays that are frequent with this team are mind numbing. BTW UNO skill wise isnt close to even being top 4 in the NCHC. Wasn't impressed.

With 14 family attending the game my oldest daughter and some others had seats next to some non dressed UND players. Chyzyk's arm wasn't in a sling.

Expect a better game and win from UND tonight.

I'm glad someone else recognizes that UNO is overrated.  I seriously thought that was one of the worst teams we've played this year.  I couldn't tell a difference between them and CC.  Their top line was barely noticeable.  Their third line was better than their first and their first has done all the damage this year.  We had to have dominated puck possession as well.  Our defenders had the puck the entire game. We just had a few bad breaks and a no movement from our forwards.

Oh….and our PP looks so bad.

Dean knows how to motivate

Periods

Deano has got a squad that is overachieving right now........reality will set before February.

Providence, Miami and SCSU have much more talent then UNO. When Mesa starts to go south so will UNO.

I really like this team, especially when they play with the passion that carried them into the frozen four last year, but holy crap they stand around a lot, and when they do bad things almost always happen.  I thought after Bemidji State that the lesson would be imprinted, but noooooo.  This group can't afford to take shifts off ever and it is happening way too much.  

100% mattsons fault

Not sure I would agree with that statement. That shift was a disaster. IMO  #8 should have taken out UNO Dman instead of flying zone.

UNO was the better team tonight however I was expecting to see a more skilled team. I think UND will be much better tonight.

If you had no history (where they were drafted) with any of the dmen playing last night for UND and had to give a fair assessment #24 would be sitting out tonights game. #20. #6 and #5 were probably your better dmen last night. Some of the other dmen were lucky that their turnovers didn't result in UNO goals. #2 is unbelievably good on PK but I don't think he had a great game.

Not sure I would agree with that statement. That shift was a disaster. IMO  #8 should have taken out UNO Dman instead of flying zone.

UNO was the better team tonight however I was expecting to see a more skilled team. I think UND will be much better tonight.

If you had no history (where they were drafted) with any of the dmen playing last night for UND and had to give a fair assessment #24 would be sitting out tonights game. #20. #6 and #5 were probably your better dmen last night. Some of the other dmen were lucky that their turnovers didn't result in UNO goals. #2 is unbelievably good on PK but I don't think he had a great game.

You could be right, haven't went back and watched. However he had more than enoug time to settle down and dump the puck. He acted too quickly and sauced it off the glass right to their defender. Veteran players should know better. I have backed him for a bit but didn't think he played very well last night. However, to your point, there were several players that didn't play sharp last night.

UND needs a man posted up at the top of the crease in the face of Massa all night long. There were several rebounds given up during the game but never seems like UND ever has anybody in front to stick those in the net. Massa is rarely out of position and makes some of those difficult saves look easy. If he cant see it he cant save it. Gotta use the D with shots from the point and crash the net

UNO dominated the last 5 minutes of regulation while UND dominated the OT. Shoot outs on any level suck and need to ho away. This game should just be a tie IMO.

I'll stick to what I have said about this in the past.  Dump the shootouts and go with a 4 x 4, 10 minute OT period.  That would eliminate a lot of ties.  And I really don't care if other leagues do the same thing or not.  The shootout is not universal in NCAA hockey, so this shouldn't have to be either.

I'll stick to what I have said about this in the past. Dump the shootouts and go with a 4 x 4, 10 minute OT period. That would eliminate a lot of ties. And I really don't care if other leagues do the same thing or not. The shootout is not universal in NCAA hockey, so this shouldn't have to be either.

I would love to see this however every other league does 5 minute OTs so essentially we'd be given 5 minutes more to decide games that have pairwise implications. There's no way it would fly.

I would love to see this however every other league does 5 minute OTs so essentially we'd be given 5 minutes more to decide games that have pairwise implications. There's no way it would fly.

Easy.  Just like the fact that a shootout win doesn't have pairwise implications, they could easily say that if the game is won in the first 5 minutes of OT, then it's a Win.  If it's won in the last 5 minutes, then it goes down as a tie and the win is for league standings only