SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

The stupidity of some in the ND Legislature is stunning.   Actually I find myself wondering if it is stupidity,  out of control egos,  or a combination of both.  After the people told the Legislature to go to hell by voting down the dissolution of the SBOHE,  I had hoped that they would reign in the stupidity of  micro-managing Higher Education. 

v Yes, and FCS/Div 1-AA football is a non-event to the average college football rube nation-wide. And that's not to belittle NDSU's 4 straight lower tier title wins, it's just a fact. So, same-same I guess.

FCS football gets a lot more national coverage than college hockey, though. How many FCS games on ESPN? Now how many college hockey games? How about sports shows? FCS football shows up on those highlights, especially if they upset a FBS squad, a lot more than college hockey. That fact remains, whether you like it or not, that hockey is extremely unpopular in America when looking at things relatively.

FCS football gets a lot more national coverage than college hockey, though. How many FCS games on ESPN? Now how many college hockey games? How about sports shows? FCS football shows up on those highlights, especially if they upset a FBS squad, a lot more than college hockey. That fact remains, whether you like it or not, that hockey is extremely unpopular in America when looking at things relatively.

Not disagreeing with anything you posted above but this big picture analysis of yours currently has no direct impact on UND FB...or MBB.  Why?  Because both sports are "extremely unpopular" with a lot of UND fans and supporters right now as is evident by poor attendence over the past few years.  Put winners on the field and court, beat a FBS team in FB or a big time program in MBB and some of these issues will change...and change quickly.  If UND beats NDSU next September, any guess what that will do for the attendence of the next UND home game? 

Hockey might be unpopular in America but it isn't in ND, MN or at UND.

FCS football is also extremely unpopular in America when looking at things relatively. So as GD said - same/same.

Instead of trying to tear hockey and its significance down, build football up. This is already being done- bubba is righting the ship. As Oxbow said, win some big games, make the playoffs, and the people and $$$ will come.

The problem is that if a few influential pin heads speak on the floor in favor of the bill it could sway more votes than the committee recommendation.  We seem to have a couple of idiots in positions of power down there.

Exactly why I think it will pass.  The sponsors of the bill are all some of the better known legislators. 

Designations on these types of bills mean nothing.  The more controversial or more media focused bills change all the time from committee to floor as far as "Pass" or "Don't Pass"

The stupidity of some in the ND Legislature is stunning.   Actually I find myself wondering if it is stupidity,  out of control egos,  or a combination of both.  After the people told the Legislature to go to hell by voting down the dissolution of the SBOHE,  I had hoped that they would reign in the stupidity of  micro-managing Higher Education. 

Exactly why we limit them to 80 days every other year.

Exactly why I think it will pass.  The sponsors of the bill are all some of the better known legislators. 

Designations on these types of bills mean nothing.  The more controversial or more media focused bills change all the time from committee to floor as far as "Pass" or "Don't Pass"

Serious question: What if UND just flat out ignores it and (rightfully) decides they know what's best for themselves?  Guessing Mr. Louser (who is on Minot State's Board of Regents) has very little information on the actual impact to UND.  While the SBoHE has problems of its own, the State Legislature continues to make it very clear why they shouldn't have unlimited power over the state's universities.

Serious question: What if UND just flat out ignores it and (rightfully) decides they know what's best for themselves?  Guessing Mr. Louser (who is on Minot State's Board of Regents) has very little information on the actual impact to UND.  While the SBoHE has problems of its own, the State Legislature continues to make it very clear why they shouldn't have unlimited power over the state's universities.

Honestly don't know.  Since it is a law our state institutions are bound to abide by it.  I would imagine it could result in firings.

Honestly don't know.  Since it is a law our state institutions are bound to abide by it.  I would imagine it could result in firings.

It would never happen, but if that is the case, I would love to see them openly defy it just for the entertainment and see how far off the charts the pucker factor coming from Bismarck would be.

• Upvote 1

You make a valid point.

But The way I see how college hockey vs fcs football has an impact on fans throughout North America can be judged by pro salaries from former players in both sports. At und college hockey alumni or making a lot more of an impact than former football players are. Compare und hockey NHL salaries to ndsu football nfl salaries and it's not even close. If you are trying to say that fcs football makes a bigger impact to most sporting fans nationwide, then why are the former college hockey players reimbursed at such a higher level? This money is ultimately coming from the impact the athlete makes to their fan base.

I'm not trying to rip on fcs football. But 1 out of every 3 nhl'ers come from ncaa d1. What percentage of nfl'ers come from fcs? It's not even close and professional athletes relevance is shown by the money they make. If you look at it this way, ncaa d1 hockey is much more relevant in North America than fcs football is.

You make a valid point. The way I see how college hockey vs fcs football has an impact on fans throughout North America can be judged by pro salaries from former players in both sports. At und college hockey alumni or making a lot more of an impact than former football players are. Compare und hockey NHL salaries to ndsu football nfl salaries and it's not even close. If you are trying to say that fcs football makes a bigger impact to most sporting fans nationwide, then why are the former college hockey players reimbursed at such a higher level? This money is ultimately coming from the impact the athlete makes to their fan base.

That is just an absurd non-sequitur point.  

There is at best a weak relationship between professional athlete's salaries and the popularity of their sport at the college level. Consider this for instance: major league baseball players make more money, on average, than NFL players and yet college baseball is no where near as popular as college football. Also, NBA players have by far the highest average salaries among American team sports. Should we conclude that the basketball is far more popular at the college level than football based on that? Of course not.

That is just an absurd non-sequitur point.

There is at best a weak relationship between professional athlete's salaries and the popularity of their sport at the college level. Consider this for instance: major league baseball players make more money, on average, than NFL players and yet college baseball is no where near as popular as college football. Also, NBA players have by far the highest average salaries among American team sports. Should we conclude that the basketball is far more popular at the college level than football based on that? Of course not.

There is more football players per team so salaries need be be spread out more. So what? 1 out of 3 NHL players come from ncaa d1 hockey. What percentage of nfl athletes come from fcs?

There is more football players per team so salaries need be be spread out more. So what? 1 out of 3 NHL players come from ncaa d1 hockey. What percentage of nfl athletes come from fcs?

Now you want to change the argument. But again your argument is a non-sequitur. There is absolutely no relationship between the number of FCS players in the NFL and the popularity of FCS football. Same goes for college hockey players in the NHL.

If you want to demonstrate that college hockey is more popular than FCS football you'll have to do it with attendance numbers, TV ratings, dollars spent by fans...etc. for just those two sports.

Watching college hockey at the Ralph is closer to watching an NHL game (UND averaged higher attendance than the New York Islanders a few years ago and the "NHL talent" is sometimes there) than watching FCS ball compared to the NFL. And thats why UND hockey is the closest thing North Dakota has to a pro team.

Not saying college hockey is more popular than FCS football. Probably about equal. Maybe with the slight edge in the northern part of the country leaning toward college hockey. Neither one has a large following. Beating big ten schools and having college gameday twice certainly gives that school more recognition than anything college hockey could. Therefore FCS has a higher potential to put a school on the map.

Watching college hockey at the Ralph is closer to watching an NHL game (UND averaged higher attendance than the New York Islanders a few years ago and the "NHL talent" is sometimes there) than watching FCS ball compared to the NFL. And thats why UND hockey is the closest thing North Dakota has to a pro team.

Not saying college hockey is more popular than FCS football. Probably about equal. Maybe with the slight edge in the northern part of the country leaning toward college hockey. Neither one has a large following. Beating big ten schools and having college gameday twice certainly gives that school more recognition than anything college hockey could. Therefore FCS has a higher potential to put a school on the map.

Now we're back to the old big fish in a small pond argument. There are more DI Hockey players in the NHL than there are FCS players in the NFL, but the NFL is an order of magnitude bigger and more popular league. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

At any rate, by traditional measures of popularity, FCS Football and college hockey are roughly equivalent. But, NDSU's current run in football combined with its recent success in the NCAA basketball tournament has, in my opinion, brought it a great deal more exposure than anything UND's athletic department has going. All you have to do is walk around Dallas wearing NDSU gear to see the effect of it.

But The way I see how college hockey vs fcs football has an impact on fans throughout North America can be judged by pro salaries from former players in both sports. At und college hockey alumni or making a lot more of an impact than former football players are. Compare und hockey NHL salaries to ndsu football nfl salaries and it's not even close. If you are trying to say that fcs football makes a bigger impact to most sporting fans nationwide, then why are the former college hockey players reimbursed at such a higher level? This money is ultimately coming from the impact the athlete makes to their fan base.

That doesn't matter, as dlsiouxfan has already proven that MOST UND hockey players only play for one or two years :silly:

Now we're back to the old big fish in a small pond argument. There are more DI Hockey players in the NHL than there are FCS players in the NFL, but the NFL is an order of magnitude bigger and more popular league. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

At any rate, by traditional measures of popularity, FCS Football and college hockey are roughly equivalent. But, NDSU's current run in football combined with its recent success in the NCAA basketball tournament has, in my opinion, brought it a great deal more exposure than anything UND's athletic department has going. All you have to do is walk around Dallas wearing NDSU gear to see the effect of it.

I would hold off the not so close. I want to to know the answer for sure, but I counted on this site: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/number-of-nfl-players-by-college/2014/ 352 FCS players were on NFL rosters for this season. The number is a little lower than it was at the beginning of the season. In 2012 there were just over 300 who played NCAA D1 hockey http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/21792005/college-hockey-players-increasing-in-number-importance-in-nhl%3Cspan%20class . Im sure that number is a little higher now this season. Also have to keep in mind NFL rosters are much bigger but just wanted to provide numbers. If anybody has the current NHL numbers thatd be great.

Did Union visit the White House last year??

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/members/yale/20140803_White_House_Visit

Couldn't find specific reference to Union last year but it took me 5 seconds to find that the 2013 winners Yale got their visit. I'm guessing if Yale was invited that Union got an invite the following year. The issue with FU not visiting the White House might be that they have too many players who show up on police reports  :whistling:

• Upvote 1

I would hold off the not so close. I want to to know the answer for sure, but I counted on this site: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/number-of-nfl-players-by-college/2014/ 352 FCS players were on NFL rosters for this season. The number is a little lower than it was at the beginning of the season. In 2012 there were just over 300 who played NCAA D1 hockey http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/21792005/college-hockey-players-increasing-in-number-importance-in-nhl%3Cspan%20class . Im sure that number is a little higher now this season. Also have to keep in mind NFL rosters are much bigger but just wanted to provide numbers. If anybody has the current NHL numbers thatd be great.

Surprised there ar that many in the nfl from fcs. But we are still talking 43% ncaa d1 hockey to 21% fcs football. I don't really care. The only reason I even brought this up is because we have und fans here belittling the hockey program.

Surprised there ar that many in the nfl from fcs. But we are still talking 43% ncaa d1 hockey to 21% fcs football. I don't really care. The only reason I even brought this up is because we have und fans here belittling the hockey program.

You have a whole lot more UND fans belittling the football program.

Belittling the hockey program? The hockey program is great but the emphasis placed on it by the UND athletic department creates challenges in terms of funding football and basketball. To believe that is not the case is downright ignorant. Can UND football succeed as a DI program? Absolutely, but the UND athletic department needs to change their current direction.