SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

Over the last 4 years NDSU football has been a much bigger deal than UND hockey by the measures that count -- nationwide and regional media exposure. In my opinion, with NDSU on Game Day twice and multiple regular season and playoff appearances on national TV, it's not even close. Add the NCAA Men's basketball tournament to the mix and NDSU has lapped UND.

Multiple regular season games on "national" TV, which one is that? ESPN 3? MeTV?, Valley News Live? UND has been on Fox College Sports, FSN North, CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports Network, Midco SN (seen in more homes than VNL), ESPNU, so please how many regular season games and what "national channel"?

What difference does it make? Hockey is a big deal to some folks and not to others. Who cares? FCS FB is a bid deal to some folks and not to others. Who cares? Neither are a big deal to most people. FBS, NFL, NHL, mean nothing to the very vast majority of people in the world. Who cares? If any of these sports are such a big deal that you would get upset cuz someone else doesn't think you are cool or your status in life is better cuz your hockey team wins a national title or FCS team wins 4 titles, than you are a sorry ass SOB and need to get a frickin life. Have fun with it and have fun with your family and friends but in the long run if it is any more important to you than that as a fan then your priorities are screwed up. This thread is entertaining to a point but then one has to feel sorry for folks who didn't play and have to live vicariously through the success of others. This same commentary could go on the fire Hak thread too I guess.

• Upvote 3

Multiple regular season games on "national" TV, which one is that? ESPN 3? MeTV?, Valley News Live? UND has been on Fox College Sports, FSN North, CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports Network, Midco SN (seen in more homes than VNL), ESPNU, so please how many regular season games and what "national channel"?

Clearly you weren't watching the Iowa State or Kansas State games on Fox One.

What difference does it make? Hockey is a big deal to some folks and not to others. Who cares? FCS FB is a bid deal to some folks and not to others. Who cares? Neither are a big deal to most people. FBS, NFL, NHL, mean nothing to the very vast majority of people in the world. Who cares? If any of these sports are such a big deal that you would get upset cuz someone else doesn't think you are cool or your status in life is better cuz your hockey team wins a national title or FCS team wins 4 titles, than you are a sorry ass SOB and need to get a frickin life. Have fun with it and have fun with your family and friends but in the long run if it is any more important to you than that as a fan then your priorities are screwed up. This thread is entertaining to a point but then one has to feel sorry for folks who didn't play and have to live vicariously through the success of others. This same commentary could go on the fire Hak thread too I guess.

You do realize the nature of this message board don't you? If that's your attitude what in the world are you doing posting here at all? You have 1486 posts on this board. Wouldn't your time have been better spent doing other things?

You do realize the nature of this message board don't you? If that's your attitude what in the world are you doing posting here at all? You have 1486 posts on this board. Wouldn't your time have been better spent doing other things?

Note to bison fan on sioux message board- why do you continually come here to defend ndsu's honor if they already have pronounced their relevance with their national exposure?

Ask the "man on the street" in the major media markets and they don't know the difference between UND and NDSU any more than they know the difference between NDSU and SNHU. 

Actually, more may have heard of SNHU than NDSU or UND. 

Ask the "man on the street" in the major media markets and they don't know the difference between UND and NDSU any more than they know the difference between NDSU and SNHU.

But th bison had 2 games on fox sports one the past 2 years!

Here is what I would consider national games for NDSU.

1.) 2010 Quarterfinals- ESPN2

2.) 2011 Semifinals- ESPNU

3.) 2011 National Championship- ESPN2

4.) 2012 Semifinals- ESPN2

5.) 2012 National Championship- ESPN2

6.) 2013 Season opener against Kansas State- Fox Sports 1

7.) 2013 ESPN Gameday Appearance (not a game but more watched that than any other national televised game except KSU)

8.) 2013 Quarterfinal- ESPN

9.) 2013 Semifinal- ESPN2

10.) 2013 National Championship- ESPN2

11.) 2014 Season opener against Iowa State- Fox Sports 1

12.) 2014 ESPN Gameday Appearance

13.) 2014 Quarterfinals- ESPN

14.) 2014 Semifinals- ESPN2

15.) 2014 National Championship Game- ESPN2

I am willing to bet the vast majority of the FBS teams, including many power 5 teams, have not had as many nationally televised games/gameday appearances in the past 5 years as NDSU has.

Don't fool yourself. People now know NDSU very well. Every time I travel I wear an NDSU sweatshirt or T shirt and I always get someone in the airport that says something to me.

If you want to throw basketball into the mix, the 3 NCAA tournament games NDSU has played in during the past few years made people very well aware of NDSU as well. There has been multiple ESPN games played in the past few years as well. I am pretty sure the game last year against Notre Dame was on ESPNU. The Summit League championship game last year was on ESPN2 and the Summit League championship game in 2009  and 2012 was also on ESPN2. I also think in 2012, NDSU played against Akron in a regular season game that was on ESPN2. I can't remember further back than that, but I am almost positive a few of the games played in the 2007-2009 era, Wisconsin rings a bell, were also on ESPN.

Sir, I need you to come with me please...

I was at the Carrier Dome last year to watch a Syracuse basketball game and I wore an NDSU T shirt. I had a few people say go Bison to me as I passed in the hall. The guy I sat next to saw my shirt and started up a conversation about ESPN Gameday and what an awesome representation it was by the NDSU fan base. He was from NYC.

Don't fool yourself. People now know NDSU very well. Every time I travel I wear an NDSU sweatshirt or T shirt and I always get someone in the airport that says something to me..

. Hey you, step away from that garbage can.
  • Upvote 2

I was at the Carrier Dome last year to watch a Syracuse basketball game and I wore an NDSU T shirt. I had a few people say go Bison to me as I passed in the hall. The guy I sat next saw my shirt and started up a conversation about ESPN Gameday and what an awesome representation it was by the NDSU fan base. He was from NYC.

Are you for serious?  A Syracuse fan really said 'Go Bison' to you and everything?

Don't fool yourself. People now know NDSU very well. Every time I travel I wear an NDSU sweatshirt or T shirt and I always get someone in the airport that says something to me.

"You seem like a pretty sharp guy...I have my own business consulting firm here locally and am looking for a few key people to help expand my practice..."

I was at the Carrier Dome last year to watch a Syracuse basketball game and I wore an NDSU T shirt. I had a few people say go Bison to me as I passed in the hall. The guy I sat next saw my shirt and started up a conversation about ESPN Gameday and what an awesome representation it was by the NDSU fan base. He was from NYC.

cool-story-bro_o_2285745.jpg

Are you for serious? A Syracuse fan really said 'Go Bison' to you and everything?

I thought it was neat to get recognition from people that I would have figured to be the type to not know who NDSU is let alone that North Dakota even exists.

Carrier Dome is an absolute shithole. They do serve beer during games though.

Most fans nationally don't pay a great deal of attention to FCS, but they know the story of NDSU and the success they have had.

It is just like D3. I don't follow it and couldn't name a great deal of teams, other than the regional schools, but I sure as hell know who Mount Union and Wisconsin Whitewater are, due to their success, as well as most of the country.

Certainly true of some people. But, primarily because of NDSU, it's much less true than it was a few years ago.

Here is what I would consider national games for NDSU.

1.) 2010 Quarterfinals- ESPN2

2.) 2011 Semifinals- ESPNU

3.) 2011 National Championship- ESPN2

4.) 2012 Semifinals- ESPN2

5.) 2012 National Championship- ESPN2

6.) 2013 Season opener against Kansas State- Fox Sports 1

7.) 2013 ESPN Gameday Appearance (not a game but more watched that than any other national televised game except KSU)

8.) 2013 Quarterfinal- ESPN

9.) 2013 Semifinal- ESPN2

10.) 2013 National Championship- ESPN2

11.) 2014 Season opener against Iowa State- Fox Sports 1

12.) 2014 ESPN Gameday Appearance

13.) 2014 Quarterfinals- ESPN

14.) 2014 Semifinals- ESPN2

15.) 2014 National Championship Game- ESPN2

I am willing to bet the vast majority of the FBS teams, including many power 5 teams, have not had as many nationally televised games/gameday appearances in the past 5 years as NDSU has.

If you want to throw basketball into the mix, the 3 NCAA tournament games NDSU has played in during the past few years made people very well aware of NDSU as well. There has been multiple ESPN games played in the past few years as well. I am pretty sure the game last year against Notre Dame was on ESPNU. The Summit League championship game last year was on ESPN2 and the Summit League championship game in 2009  and 2012 was also on ESPN2. I also think in 2012, NDSU played against Akron in a regular season game that was on ESPN2. I can't remember further back than that, but I am almost positive a few of the games played in the 2007-2009 era, Wisconsin rings a bell, were also on ESPN.

You missed the words...REGULAR SEASON. I know reading comprehension is not a strong point at Moo U, but I will forgive you.  On your list I see 2, just 2 games of "nationally televised games", and they both consist of FBS teams. UND was just on ESPN U for men's basketball and FOX Sports North for women's basketball (regular season games). On the post I did I named stations that had UND regular season games on, not postseason. The rant by Nosidel was NDSU had multiple regular season and post season games on National TV, that it wasn't even close in the last 4 years. Do we need to list how many NDSU games were on anything but local tv and the net (no ESPN3) in the last 4 years compared to UND athletics? Men's basketball had 7 games (and i include Midco SN since its seen in ND, SD, MN, and WI), this season so far, 4 women's basketball games this season so far, 17 men's hockey games, 2 women's hockey game, 8 volleyball games, 6 football games. Not a bad 2013-14 season so far.

You missed the words...REGULAR SEASON. I know reading comprehension is not a strong point at Moo U, but I will forgive you.  On your list I see 2, just 2 games of "nationally televised games", and they both consist of FBS teams. UND was just on ESPN U for men's basketball and FOX Sports North for women's basketball (regular season games). On the post I did I named stations that had UND regular season games on, not postseason. The rant by Nosidel was NDSU had multiple regular season and post season games on National TV, that it wasn't even close in the last 4 years. Do we need to list how many NDSU games were on anything but local tv and the net (no ESPN3) in the last 4 years compared to UND athletics? Men's basketball had 7 games (and i include Midco SN since its seen in ND, SD, MN, and WI), this season so far, 4 women's basketball games this season so far, 17 men's hockey games, 2 women's hockey game, 8 volleyball games, 6 football games. Not a bad 2013-14 season so far.

Seriously??? You're suggesting that Midco is national TV?

You missed the words...REGULAR SEASON. I know reading comprehension is not a strong point at Moo U, but I will forgive you. On your list I see 2, just 2 games of "nationally televised games", and they both consist of FBS teams. UND was just on ESPN U for men's basketball and FOX Sports North for women's basketball (regular season games). On the post I did I named stations that had UND regular season games on, not postseason. The rant by Nosidel was NDSU had multiple regular season and post season games on National TV, that it wasn't even close in the last 4 years. Do we need to list how many NDSU games were on anything but local tv and the net (no ESPN3) in the last 4 years compared to UND athletics? Men's basketball had 7 games (and i include Midco SN since its seen in ND, SD, MN, and WI), this season so far, 4 women's basketball games this season so far, 17 men's hockey games, 2 women's hockey game, 8 volleyball games, 6 football games. Not a bad 2013-14 season so far.

Don't forget the und hockey games that tsn has picked up!

Seriously??? You're suggesting that Midco is national TV?

You don't like Midco, okay let me re-adjust my post for the 2013-14 season so far:  5 men's basketball games, 2 women's basketball games, 7 volleyball games, 2 football games, 5 mens hockey games, and 1 women's hockey game. No local tv, no Midco SN for your pleasure, and no internet tv.

I read the regular season comment. I think it is irrelevant. Midco is a joke and I didn't even begin to name the Midco games NDSU had because it is largely irrelevant. Their production. Is worse than the new high school channel they have for ND high school games.

15 appearances over the past 5 years for NDSU football is significant.

As far as your hockey comment goes, the quarterfinal game NDSU played in this year against Coastal Carolina had more people watching than any hockey national championship game in the last decade. I think it is pretty safe to say hockey is a joke.