SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

I'm sorry but 2,000 fans at a hockey game in St. Cloud isn't impressive at all when compared to 17,000 fans at a football game in Texas.  The two sports are incomparable.  There are a lot of alumni and, more importantly, prospective students that would have a great deal more interest in watching high quality football or basketball as opposed to high quality hockey.  There is a reason the NHL is solidly fourth among the four major sports and realistically more like 5th or 6th in terms of TV ratings and market share behind the PGA and NASCAR.  Heck, on most nights in a lot of markets in this country you're more likely to find an MLS or Premier League soccer game on your television as opposed to an NHL game.  College hockey doesn't even register.  It's a non-event.

Bold statement is very wrong!

You can't compare a regular season game to a national title game. Plus as mentioned in that post you're referring to, stated SCSU hockey arena only holds 5 to 6,000 fans, so how could one possibly fit 17,000 in there? 

There are way too many simple minded statements made on here that people make without thinking what they're even saying through. Unbelievable 

• Upvote 1

Bold statement is very wrong!

You can't compare a regular season game to a national title game. Plus as mentioned in that post you're referring to, stated SCSU hockey arena only holds 5 to 6,000 fans, so how could one possibly fit 17,000 in there? 

There are way too many simple minded statements made on here that people make without thinking what they're even saying through. Unbelievable 

The bolded statement is most certainly not wrong. Regardless of the circumstances of the game, NDSU bringing 17,000 football fans to a game 1,000 miles away IS way more impressive than UND bringing 2,000 fans to a game 250 miles away. None of the points you made change that.

You seem to be saying that UND would have brought 17K fans to that game IF it had been a playoff game and IF the arena was big enough to hold that many. Maybe you're right maybe you're wrong. Either way you can't take credit for things that didn't actually happen.

I agree it's not just a UND issue.  At least placing emphasis on basketball is financially justifiable.  Hockey is a niche sport with a declining fan base.  Also, I'm sure Kansas was re-thinking their emphasis a few years back when it looked like the Big 12 was going to implode over football and Kansas was going to be left behind.  Football drives the bus in college athletics.   Even Duke doesn't have any pull in the ACC if they're opposed to conference moves that benefit football at the expense of basketball and they're the premier basketball program in the country.

I would have to disagree with your bold statement...hockey as a whole is actually gaining popularity in America...

Maybe you're right maybe you're wrong. Either way you can't take credit for things that didn't actually happen.

But you taking a moral victory on an apples to oranges comparison is OK?  Anyone can skew any combination of numbers to make the point they want to.

• Upvote 1

In the past 7 years 36% of NHL debuts have come from college hockey. Only 2% of ncaa baseball players make it to mlb. Not a very good comparison.

Was the purpose of your post to compare 2 completely different statistics, or were you trying to make a comparison between the 36% and the 2%?  If you were trying to make a comparison, you failed.  One is the percent of professional athletes that came from their respective college sport, whereas the other is the percent of college athletes that make it professional in that sport.  I realize these may sound similar, but take a couple seconds to think about it and you'll realize they aren't at all the same.  If you want to compare MLB with the 36% statistic, you would need to look up the percent of MLB players that came from college baseball (which I'm assuming is significantly higher than 2%). Or, if you were trying to compare with the 2% statistic, you need to find the percentage of college hockey players that make it to the NHL, which I'm sure is significantly lower than the 36% (I doubt 36% of college hocky players make it to the NHL).

I would not have guessed that, how does a baseball player make the big league?

Read the stat again.  They are completely unrelated.

But not as many, 36% to 2% that is a HUGE gap.

The bolded statement is most certainly not wrong. Regardless of the circumstances of the game, NDSU bringing 17,000 football fans to a game 1,000 miles away IS way more impressive than UND bringing 2,000 fans to a game 250 miles away. None of the points you made change that.

You seem to be saying that UND would have brought 17K fans to that game IF it had been a playoff game and IF the arena was big enough to hold that many. Maybe you're right maybe you're wrong. Either way you can't take credit for things that didn't actually happen.

But your comparison is wrong and that is what I am pointing out...you're comparing a national championship game to a regular season game. IF UND hockey team makes the National Championship game, i'm sure there will be a comparable amount of UND fans at that game as there are FU fans in Frisco. I'm simply pointing out how wrong you are to compare 2,000 to 17,000 when thats not what anyone but yourself was doing

No, it shows that more people watched NDSU in that particular game than watched last years' Frozen Four Final. Which does tend to support the argument that FCS Football is more popular than NCAA Hockey. It says little or nothing about the relative popularity of the sports at any other level. Although it certainly is true that football is more popular in this country than hockey.

No, it shows more people watch college football on TV than college hockey.  And you are giving NDSU way too much credit for why people tuned in.  You think 1.5 million people woke up Saturday morning and said "Gee, I better make sure I turn on the NDSU Coastal Carolina quarterfinal football game at 11:00 am."  Football is more popular than hockey, thus more people watch it. 

The bolded statement is most certainly not wrong. Regardless of the circumstances of the game, NDSU bringing 17,000 football fans to a game 1,000 miles away IS way more impressive than UND bringing 2,000 fans to a game 250 miles away. None of the points you made change that.

You seem to be saying that UND would have brought 17K fans to that game IF it had been a playoff game and IF the arena was big enough to hold that many. Maybe you're right maybe you're wrong. Either way you can't take credit for things that didn't actually happen.

How many fans did ndsu bring down to the game in vermillion this year? You do realize und brings about 10,000 fans to the past final 5/frozen face off which is just a conference tournament. I don't believe bringing 17,000 to their next national title game would be too far fetched.

But your comparison is wrong and that is what I am pointing out...you're comparing a national championship game to a regular season game. IF UND hockey team makes the National Championship game, i'm sure there will be a comparable amount of UND fans at that game as there are FU fans in Frisco. I'm simply pointing out how wrong you are to compare 2,000 to 17,000 when thats not what anyone but yourself was doing

I don't think you'd find very many people who would say that 17K traveling 1,000 miles for a sporting event is not more impressive than 2,000 traveling 250 miles. That's what he said and he was not wrong.

I don't think you'd find very many people who would say that 17K traveling 1,000 miles for a sporting event is not more impressive than 2,000 traveling 250 miles. That's what he said and he was not wrong.

They're both pretty darn impressive given the differences in the magnitude of the games and size of the venues involved. Both schools should be proud. 

• Upvote 1

How many fans did ndsu bring down to the game in vermillion this year? You do realize und brings about 10,000 fans to the past final 5/frozen face off which is just a conference tournament. I don't believe bringing 17,000 to their next national title game would be too far fetched.

Again, UND bringing 10K to St Paul is not as impressive as NDSU bringing 17K to Dallas. In any case, you're trying to change the argument. You were the one that was wrong not Bison Alumni2011.   

In the past 7 years 36% of NHL debuts have come from college hockey. Only 2% of ncaa baseball players make it to mlb. Not a very good comparison.

You can't use two different measures and compare them like that. You'll either have to find what % of ncaa hockey players actually make it in the NHL or what % of MLB debuts are ncaa guys. Very different measures.

Was the purpose of your post to compare 2 completely different statistics, or were you trying to make a comparison between the 36% and the 2%? If you were trying to make a comparison, you failed. One is the percent of professional athletes that came from their respective college sport, whereas the other is the percent of college athletes that make it professional in that sport. I realize these may sound similar, but take a couple seconds to think about it and you'll realize they aren't at all the same. If you want to compare MLB with the 36% statistic, you would need to look up the percent of MLB players that came from college baseball (which I'm assuming is significantly higher than 2%). Or, if you were trying to compare with the 2% statistic, you need to find the percentage of college hockey players that make it to the NHL, which I'm sure is significantly lower than the 36% (I doubt 36% of college hocky players make it to the NHL).

Read the stat again. They are completely unrelated.

Ok boonie boy how about this one?

Ndsu football - 9 guys in the nfl this year - 60 ncaa scholarships - 15%

Und hockey - 13 guys in the NHL this year - 18 ncaa scholarships - 72%

You can't use two different measures and compare them like that. You'll either have to find what % of ncaa hockey players actually make it on the NHL or what % of MLB debuts are ncaa guys. Very different measures.

I know. I didn't think a bizun fan would be able to figure that one out haha

No, it shows more people watch college football on TV than college hockey.  And you are giving NDSU way too much credit for why people tuned in.  You think 1.5 million people woke up Saturday morning and said "Gee, I better make sure I turn on the NDSU Coastal Carolina quarterfinal football game at 11:00 am."  Football is more popular than hockey, thus more people watch it. 

No, you're reading more into it than what's really there. While it is true that college football is more popular than college hockey, unless you've surveyed the viewers of the Coastal - NDSU game, you have no idea whether they are general college football fans, fans of FCS football, or fans of one of the schools involved or how many there were in each category. All we know is that more people watched that game than watched the NCAA frozen four final. In fact, twice as many.

I have no idea wtf is going on in this thread.

It appears to be an exercise in determining a mathematical model to decide whose penis is smaller, based on variables including but not limited to:

Fans, miles traveled, regular season home attendance, regular season away attendance, post season attendance, minor league player percentages, professional league player percentages, FBS popularity, professional salaries, Nielsen ratings, sagarin ratings, local tv appearances, regional tv appearances, national tv appearances, arena sizes, and last but not least: shoe sizes.

I would hold off the not so close. I want to to know the answer for sure, but I counted on this site: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/number-of-nfl-players-by-college/2014/ 352 FCS players were on NFL rosters for this season. The number is a little lower than it was at the beginning of the season. In 2012 there were just over 300 who played NCAA D1 hockey http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/21792005/college-hockey-players-increasing-in-number-importance-in-nhl%3Cspan%20class . Im sure that number is a little higher now this season. Also have to keep in mind NFL rosters are much bigger but just wanted to provide numbers. If anybody has the current NHL numbers thatd be great.

Why the f#%$ would you waste your time looking up information such as this and post it on your rivals site? 

Ok boonie boy how about this one?

Ndsu football - 9 guys in the nfl this year - 60 ncaa scholarships - 15%

Und hockey - 13 guys in the NHL this year - 18 ncaa scholarships - 72%

250-some schools playing division one football. Diluted big time. Lot more competition. If there were 250-some D1 hockey programs... Something tells me... That just maybe... It may have an effect.

Both schools should be pretty happy about those numbers.