SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

Do you have Nielsen numbers to support this? I think it's pure conjecture.

Just looked it up. Last year's college national championship drew in 717k viewers, which was a huge increase over the prior year and one of the largest in several years. The quarterfinal game against CC drew approximately 1.5 million fans.

They do, it's called division 1 basketball and FBS football.

Whoops, forgot about NBA D League

I wonder how a football minor leaque that pays players would effect FBS football? Maybe NCAA will go this route to defeat the football uprising that is going to knee cap them shortly... interesting times

I wonder how a football minor leaque that pays players would effect FBS football? Maybe NCAA will go this route to defeat the football uprising that is going to knee cap them shortly... interesting times

Probably fail if they wanted to compete with FBS. People are attached to the teams not the players.

Plus the elite coaches make more than what a minor league can afford. Saban/Meyer make as much or more than many NFL coaches.

Just looked it up. Last year's college national championship drew in 717k viewers, which was a huge increase over the prior year and one of the largest in several years. The quarterfinal game against CC drew approximately 1.5 million fans.

Thanks.  Not surprising. 

So they go to minors out of HS, little league, juniors? I am only familiar with the hockey career path, please enlighten me.

I thought it was college, then minors, (from rookie ball up to AAA may take a while), then pros. I don't think there is junior ball. Can anyone help us out here.

But not as many, 36% to 2% that is a HUGE gap.

But does the NHL have the same type of entrenched minor league system that MLB has?

And does the 2% number count the guys who do to college before entering the minor leagues or is it that only 2% of MLB players ever went/played in college?

But does the NHL have the same type of entrenched minor league system that MLB has?

And does the 2% number count the guys who do to college before entering the minor leagues or is it that only 2% of MLB players ever went/played in college?

Don't know I didn't post the numbers.

Probably fail if they wanted to compete with FBS. People are attached to the teams not the players.

Plus the elite coaches make more than what a minor league can afford. Saban/Meyer make as much or more than many NFL coaches.

Yeah your probably right, kinda surprising the NFL doesn't look at a minor league system to get even more of the football dollars

Start an NFL-B league, even run it like the Olympics and have relegation spot, maybe the Vikings could complete.

This proves football is more popular in this country than football.  Thanks for the news flash!! 

Yeah your probably right, kinda surprising the NFL doesn't look at a minor league system to get even more of the football dollars

Start an NFL-B league, even run it like the Olympics and have relegation spot, maybe the Vikings could complete.

They tried other "pro" leagues USFL, WLAF, XFL (a total joke), and it didn't take off although the World League did better and kept NFL games in America unlike now where more and more games are going to England. A minor NFL league hopefully could do better.

Why would it? It has one now, subsidized with public funds, and without the headaches of direct ownership. It's called "the NCAA". 

http://www.businessinsider.com/odds-college-athletes-become-professionals-2012-2

Here's the link where I got the 2% number. The way I understand it is a little more than 2% of ncaa baseball players end up making it to the mlb.

Ok after clicking on a link within this link I learned I was wrong with ith the 2% number. According to the link 12% of NCAA baseball players make it to the pros. Never mind.

http://www.businessinsider.com/odds-college-athletes-become-professionals-2012-2

Here's the link where I got the 2% number. The way I understand it is a little more than 2% of ncaa baseball players end up making it to the mlb.

Ok after clicking on a link within this link I learned I was wrong with ith the 2% number. According to the link 12% of NCAA baseball players make it to the pros. Never mind.

I misread your point anyway. Whoops

money?

Like he said... No headaches, etc. Look at the amount the football factories in the power 5 spend on football.

NFL has a free labor development source. They get to watch these guys for three years before putting any sort of investment into them.

Can't imagine they'd ever make enough money to consider it.

Like he said... No headaches, etc. Look at the amount the football factories in the power 5 spend on football.

NFL has a free labor development source. They get to watch these guys for three years before putting any sort of investment into them.

Can't imagine they'd ever make enough money to consider it.

Yup. The NCAA Football economic* model (only) works because of donors (specifically, tax deductible donations to the schools earmarked for football) and the subsidies from the school for athletics. 

An NFL developmental league would have neither of those. 

*OK, OK, ... the entire NCAA athletics economic model with rare exceptions. 

This proves football is more popular in this country than football.  Thanks for the news flash!! 

No, it shows that more people watched NDSU in that particular game than watched last years' Frozen Four Final. Which does tend to support the argument that FCS Football is more popular than NCAA Hockey. It says little or nothing about the relative popularity of the sports at any other level. Although it certainly is true that football is more popular in this country than hockey.