SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

I would bet 90% of you guys on this site go to maybe one or two game a year. Pathetic support from your alumni  and fan base is what has made UND football what it is today. 

I live in the Twin Cities and have season tickets.  I was at all of the games except for the last one when I was in Brazil.  Too long of a commute from there.

What I'm seeing in that piece of history is how ones dynasty can fall into the hand of their rival in a matter of years not decades.

25 years down the road when UND wins something meaningful in the playoffs, you will tell everyone I told you So! You have been saying the same thing  over and over and over again. NDSU just keeps winning.

You know what the difference between NDSU and UND is? NDSU has a 3-8 season, and bounces back the next year with a season including a win over a Big 12 FBS team and a playoff quarterfinal run ending in an OT loss to the eventual national champion. UND has a 3-8 season, and 3-8 type seasons continue for a decade. 

NDSU is going to have a down year at some point. It just happens to even the best of programs. What makes programs great is their ability to respond  to that and turn it around quickly, as NDSU has proven to do in recent history given in the last 50 years, they have had 3 sub .500 seasons and won 12 national championships. 

I live in the Twin Cities and have season tickets.  I was at all of the games except for the last one when I was in Brazil.  Too long of a commute from there.

I really respect that. I am sorry to lump you in with the majority. 

Too many UND alumni I know could give a flying f less about the football team. The same argument comes up every time, at least in my experiences, as to why they don't go to games. They think the FCS is a JV league and their team isn't worth watching. I think that is a pathetic attitude. I don't care if you go to an NAIA, D3,  or D2 school, you should support your university, regardless of whether or not they are playing the best of the best every weekend. Funny thing is, I hardly remember any UND alums having this type of attitude when UND was in D2.  

Alabama is 47-10-2 all-time against Ole Miss. Was Ole Miss' expectation this year to win the SEC and be one of the four finalists for the national championship? You bet it was.

The Crimson Tide is 23-14-1 against Florida all-time. I can assure you, Gator coaches, players, and fans expect to compete for national football championships the way that Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU do.

Some programs demand success. Others hope for it. If Ole Miss goes 8-4 every year their coach will never get fired. They may even build the guy a statue. Can you say the same about Bama, Michigan, or ND?

Looks like exactly how I described him. Mediocre today.

If  you call mediocre a 6-6- 230 pound, first year starting quarterback who throws for  3,111 yards (most in NDSU history) 25 touchdown passes to 10 interceptions on a 63.7% completion percentage, rushes for 642 yards and 6 TD's (second in both categories for NDSU this year), leads his team to two come from behind game winning drives in the playoffs, wins the national championship game basically single handed with his play, while earning the FCS National Championship game MVP, and replaced an NDSU legend and most success FCS quarterback of all time, I want a mediocre quarterback like Carson Wentz every year on my team.

Clearly you don't watch FCS football often to realize what type of a talent he is at this level. It is extremely rare. 

What sport does the average bandwagon UND fan follow??? #rhetorical #uphillbattle #classic

Was a season ticket holder for 12 years. Gave em up once my daughter started playing college puck and my son high school puck. Didn't have time to go 350 miles round trip to watch the Sioux anymore so had to give them up. Been a huge Sioux hockey fan since the mid 70's. Just don't get why some people get their undies in a bunch if their are some of us that follow both schools. I'm a North Dakota fan.

Was a season ticket holder for 12 years. Gave em up once my daughter started playing college puck and my son high school puck. Didn't have time to go 350 miles round trip to watch the Sioux anymore so had to give them up. Been a huge Sioux hockey fan since the mid 70's. Just don't get why some people get their undies in a bunch if their are some of us that follow both schools. I'm a North Dakota fan.

I am not a huge hockey fan, but when I do watch hockey, I cheer for UND. When UND women's basketball made the NCAA tourney, I went down to the bar with two UND grads to watch the game and cheer for UND basketball. 

I don't hate UND as much as people like to claim I do. As a matter of fact, I almost went to UND but decided against it in order to stay closer to home.  I hate UND fans who despise NDSU because they are good at football and try to belittle what NDSU has accomplished while not supporting their own university. 

If you call mediocre a 6-6- 230 pound, first year starting quarterback who throws for 3,111 yards (most in NDSU history) 25 touchdown passes to 10 interceptions on a 63.7% completion percentage, rushes for 642 yards and 6 TD's (second in both categories for NDSU this year), leads his team to two come from behind game winning drives in the playoffs, wins the national championship game basically single handed with his play, while earning the FCS National Championship game MVP, and replaced an NDSU legend and most success FCS quarterback of all time, I want a mediocre quarterback like Carson Wentz every year on my team.

Clearly you don't watch FCS football often to realize what type of a talent he is at this level. It is extremely rare. [/white]

Fumbles. Multiple.

I'm guessing you are one of the guys who thinks every NDSU player who had a good season deserves all conference or all America. Nothing rare except his size.

I am not a huge hockey fan, but when I do watch hockey, I cheer for UND. When UND women's basketball made the NCAA tourney, I went down to the bar with two UND grads to watch the game and cheer for UND basketball. 

I don't hate UND as much as people like to claim I do. As a matter of fact, I almost went to UND but decided against it in order to stay closer to home.  I hate UND fans who despise NDSU because they are good at football and try to belittle what NDSU has accomplished while not supporting their own university.

I am in a similar boat, went to UND, big hockey fan, never cared for football, despise the over the top hate filled fans on both sides that think their version of smack talk is appropriate.

Sadly, I tend to agree with this.  It is unfortuante, but it seems to me that a there is a good contingent of North Dakota fans that would prefer to see its two arch rivals, NDSU & Minnesota fail, than they care to see UND succeed. 

Take for example this statement:

I'm sorry, but in my eyes, making the playoffs to the national tournament is MORE important than some early regular season non-conference game.  It is like saying going 2-9 would be a successful season as long as one of the wins was against you know who.  Looking at the playoffs as a consolation prize is something I don't understand.

North Dakota fans need to set their bar a bit higher.

And congrats to NDSU.  4 straight is remarkable. 

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you, I could have worded it differently.   I'd rather have the playoffs than a win against WY.    I guess I was thinking playoffs were the more attainable goal.   My main point was we better start doing something soon, anything just to show improvement.   Going from 3-8 to 5-7 doesn't constitute much of an improvement IMO.

I'm guessing you are butthurt for whatever reason. Went through this thread and all you can come with is the 2 fumbles he had. Only one was lost. Hey but don't mention the good things the kid did. Apparently that doesn't fit your agenda.

He had a fumble lost, as in singular, during the game. Did you see how many plays he extended with his legs, tackles he shed and completed passes afterwards, or the game winning drive that he completed? Did you happen to see the fact that he was MVP of the game? Clearly, you did not watch the same game yesterday that I did. 

My grandpa gave me a piece of advice a year before he died. "Never argue with an idiot. They will just beat you with all their knowledge and experience." As such I am going to end this argument right now.

I am guessing UND would have benefited greatly this season from the mediocre quarterback Carson Wentz. 

• Upvote 1

Yep? Making the same point I have for years. The athletic dept has a culture issue and a $100 Mil shrine to hockey to prove it. It's all good for hockey fans, but does nothing for any other sports. Buthockey...

Maybe bubba can right the ship competitively, but there's no doubt what the #1 sport is at either campus.

Yep? Making the same point I have for years. The athletic dept has a culture issue and a $100 Mil shrine to hockey to prove it. It's all good for hockey fans, but does nothing for any other sports. Buthockey...

Maybe bubba can right the ship competitively, but there's no doubt what the #1 sport is at either campus.

If I may ask, why did you decide to make it your life's work to point out that hockey is the most important sport at UND?  You've been making the same point for years.....why are you so passionate about it?  It's not your school, you're not interested in UND's success.  

The truth is you're just another insecure bison rube bragging on a UND site.   

#buttloser

A small group gathers at BWW (another company with a UND graduate at the top by the way) and somehow the story is stretched that GF is becoming an FU town - really? Don't most Universities have one sport that is considered the cornerstone - at FU it's FCS football, at UND it's hockey. Doesn't mean the other sports don't get support, but the numbers usually point to the cornerstone.  When there is a home football game and home hockey game on the same day UND gets between 17,000 - 20,000 fans in the stands (obviously lots of overlap) but that is still a lot of tickets sold in one day. When I get to GF for a game with my family they are amazed at how everyone in town is wearing UND/Sioux clothing. Many mid-level college towns wish they had the support from their community like UND has. 

• Upvote 3

A small group gathers at BWW (another company with a UND graduate at the top by the way) and somehow the story is stretched that GF is becoming an FU town - really?

Using that same logic, I hereby proclaim Bloomington MN as the heart of "Sioux Hockey" based on crowds I've seen on Saturdays at Joe Senser's.

He had a fumble lost, as in singular, during the game. Did you see how many plays he extended with his legs, tackles he shed and completed passes afterwards, or the game winning drive that he completed? Did you happen to see the fact that he was MVP of the game? Clearly, you did not watch the same game yesterday that I did.

My grandpa gave me a piece of advice a year before he died. "Never argue with an idiot. They will just beat you with all their knowledge and experience." As such I am going to end this argument right now.

I am guessing UND would have benefited greatly this season from the mediocre quarterback Carson Wentz.

You're arguing with another ndsu fan about your own team's QB and then decide to take an unnecessary shot at UND in the process?

The NDAC fans on this thread, while mainly behaving like jackasses, are bringing up some hard truths.  UND's athletic department and I'd argue the administration of our university is dysfunctional.  The ag school has had the success they've had because they've made football a priority at their university and their willing to commit whatever resources necessary to make it successful.  They have a football budget that's in the top 3 for FCS.  Their coaching salaries are also in the top 3.  UND fans on this site were patting ourselves on the back for getting to 4th in the Big Sky after making Schweigert give us  a discount on his salary since it was his dream job.  It's insane to think we can be successful at this level for any extended period of time when our administration has this mindset.  

UND does go all out in it's support for the hockey program.  I'd argue this doesn't get us near the bang for the buck that the ag school gets from investing in football.  Over the last 7-8 years NDSU has seen their university increase by leaps and bounds in notoriety while UND's has largely stagnated.  This has happened despite the fact that the overall quality of education provided by NDSU continues to be poor at best.  The fan base for Bison football is now state-wide.  The fan base for UND hockey will never be so, as the sport is irrelevant across wide swaths of the population and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.  The popularity of college football increases every year while college hockey's, if anything, is in the decline.

UND is really at a crossroads with it's athletic department.  They can continue on the path they've set and then wonder why on-campus enrollment continues to drop and large sections of the alumni base no longer feel any connection to the university or they can make the changes necessary to shift emphasis away from hockey to the traditional money sports of football and to a lesser extent, college basketball.  Like it or not, athletics is the best marketing tool a university has and college football is the biggest draw in college athletics.  it only makes sense that a university that focuses on college hockey, to the detriment of their other sports, isn't going to experience the growth that their counterparts will experience.

That being said I don't think the administration we have presently with Kelly and Faison is at all capable of even recognizing these issues.  The two have proven themselves incompetent and will need to be replaced as soon as possible for this university to take the necessary steps forward.

I was at the game with my family.... So I'm guessing we watched the same game unless you got confused and flipped on some high school all America game

The NDAC fans on this thread, while mainly behaving like jackasses, are bringing up some hard truths. UND's athletic department and I'd argue the administration of our university is dysfunctional. The ag school has had the success they've had because they've made football a priority at their university and their willing to commit whatever resources necessary to make it successful. They have a football budget that's in the top 3 for FCS. Their coaching salaries are also in the top 3. UND fans on this site were patting ourselves on the back for getting to 4th in the Big Sky after making Schweigert give us a discount on his salary since it was his dream job. It's insane to think we can be successful at this level for any extended period of time when our administration has this mindset.

UND does go all out in it's support for the hockey program. I'd argue this doesn't get us near the bang for the buck that the ag school gets from investing in football. Over the last 7-8 years NDSU has seen their university increase by leaps and bounds in notoriety while UND's has largely stagnated. This has happened despite the fact that the overall quality of education provided by NDSU continues to be poor at best. The fan base for Bison football is now state-wide. The fan base for UND hockey will never be so, as the sport is irrelevant across wide swaths of the population and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. The popularity of college football increases every year while college hockey's, if anything, is in the decline.

UND is really at a crossroads with it's athletic department. They can continue on the path they've set and then wonder why on-campus enrollment continues to drop and large sections of the alumni base no longer feel any connection to the university or they can make the changes necessary to shift emphasis away from hockey to the traditional money sports of football and to a lesser extent, college basketball. Like it or not, athletics is the best marketing tool a university has and college football is the biggest draw in college athletics. it only makes sense that a university that focuses on college hockey, to the detriment of their other sports, isn't going to experience the growth that their counterparts will experience.

That being said I don't think the administration we have presently with Kelly and Faison is at all capable of even recognizing these issues. The two have proven themselves incompetent and will need to be replaced as soon as possible for this university to take the necessary steps forward.

Agreed...UND needs to treat all of its sports as DI programs.

To be fair Faison and Kelley are not the first two UND admins to lack vision. Even ol Roger Thomas was too comfortable with where we were in D2. We need some passion and vision in the admin offices to take it to the next level. Bubba is a good step in the right direction. Maybe he will be our next AD if he has success with football? Either way effort needs to be put forth to improve the perception of UND athletics and in turn UND.

To be fair Faison and Kelley are not the first two UND admins to lack vision. Even ol Roger Thomas was too comfortable with where we were in D2. We need some passion and vision in the admin offices to take it to the next level. Bubba is a good step in the right direction. Maybe he will be our next AD if he has success with football? Either way effort needs to be put forth to improve the perception of UND athletics and in turn UND.

That's a fair point.  As bad as Faison and Kelley have been, Kupchella and Roger Thomas were worse.  Roger Thomas was a great football coach, but by all accounts was a terrible athletic director.  He and Kupchella basically ceded control of the athletic department to REA after Ralph's donation.  That was essentially the beginning of UND more or less de-emphasizing every other sport on campus. 

The NDAC fans on this thread, while mainly behaving like jackasses, are bringing up some hard truths. UND's athletic department and I'd argue the administration of our university is dysfunctional. The ag school has had the success they've had because they've made football a priority at their university and their willing to commit whatever resources necessary to make it successful. They have a football budget that's in the top 3 for FCS. Their coaching salaries are also in the top 3. UND fans on this site were patting ourselves on the back for getting to 4th in the Big Sky after making Schweigert give us a discount on his salary since it was his dream job. It's insane to think we can be successful at this level for any extended period of time when our administration has this mindset.

UND does go all out in it's support for the hockey program. I'd argue this doesn't get us near the bang for the buck that the ag school gets from investing in football. Over the last 7-8 years NDSU has seen their university increase by leaps and bounds in notoriety while UND's has largely stagnated. This has happened despite the fact that the overall quality of education provided by NDSU continues to be poor at best. The fan base for Bison football is now state-wide. The fan base for UND hockey will never be so, as the sport is irrelevant across wide swaths of the population and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. The popularity of college football increases every year while college hockey's, if anything, is in the decline.

UND is really at a crossroads with it's athletic department. They can continue on the path they've set and then wonder why on-campus enrollment continues to drop and large sections of the alumni base no longer feel any connection to the university or they can make the changes necessary to shift emphasis away from hockey to the traditional money sports of football and to a lesser extent, college basketball. Like it or not, athletics is the best marketing tool a university has and college football is the biggest draw in college athletics. it only makes sense that a university that focuses on college hockey, to the detriment of their other sports, isn't going to experience the growth that their counterparts will experience.

That being said I don't think the administration we have presently with Kelly and Faison is at all capable of even recognizing these issues. The two have proven themselves incompetent and will need to be replaced as soon as possible for this university to take the necessary steps forward.

Great points. The recruiting experience really shows off UND's lack of commitment to football vs. other FCS schools. So much more can be done to show off what UND has to offer, and the fixes are not super expensive. Then when a recruit attends a hockey game the difference in funding becomes even more glaring.