SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

I admit I pegged NDSU to not make it through round 1 with barely a 7 win season. I didn't think Wentz was a Jensen 2.0, since he hasn't started a game, add a new coach and boy NDSU looked less than its 2013 team. Boy I was wrong they look pretty solid, and will have a great chance for #4. Good luck against UNH/ISU.

Quality of FCS is a joke right now. Most of the perennial powers have left for FBS.

Now I'm not a big Bison fan but I respect what they have done as a program. Can't deny their success. Methodical in how they take care of their opponents. Crockett is a beast. Emmanuel is a beast. Wentz would of looked good in a UND jersey and anyone who calls him marginal doesn't know football. The dude has all the tools. Hope to see Illinois St. beat UNH today. Think them and the Bison would make for a great championship game.

Before this Wentz thing turns into an all-out pissing match let's keep things in perspective a little bit. There's usually only one FCS QB drafted most years, and they have to have great numbers for that to happen, last year I think Garappolo was the only one with over 5000 yards and the year before that was Sorenson who was taken right at the end. At the FCS level it's very hard to get a look as a QB unless you are nationally known or have put up stats for a few years, playing behind Jensen and being on a run-first team isn't going to help his cause, but winning it this year would help.

He does have the tools and the size to get into a training camp, it's too bad he wasn't able to get another year of playing time as a sophomore but with Jensen winning championships it wasn't an option. He could have used another year to get comfortable running the offense, from the games I saw him play this year he improved quite a bit from the beginning of the year, you just can't simulate game-type conditions until you're actually out there. I think next year will be a good indication of what he can do, with Crockett and a bunch of other seniors hitting the road he might be leaned on a little heavier to win games, which should help his cause trying to land a spot at the next level.

Good luck to the kid and the Bison in Frisco.

• Upvote 3

Your squad may have that many transfers next year between FBS and JUCO's the way Bubba's recruiting season is going.

Yeah, well if Bubba pulls off a Sam Houston State and UND makes it to the FCS semi-finals in his second season with all those transfers, you won't hear many complaints.

Before this Wentz thing turns into an all-out pissing match let's keep things in perspective a little bit. There's usually only one FCS QB drafted most years, and they have to have great numbers for that to happen, last year I think Garappolo was the only one with over 5000 yards and the year before that was Sorenson who was taken right at the end. At the FCS level it's very hard to get a look as a QB unless you are nationally known or have put up stats for a few years, playing behind Jensen and being on a run-first team isn't going to help his cause, but winning it this year would help.

He does have the tools and the size to get into a training camp, it's too bad he wasn't able to get another year of playing time as a sophomore but with Jensen winning championships it wasn't an option. He could have used another year to get comfortable running the offense, from the games I saw him play this year he improved quite a bit from the beginning of the year, you just can't simulate game-type conditions until you're actually out there. I think next year will be a good indication of what he can do, with Crockett and a bunch of other seniors hitting the road he might be leaned on a little heavier to win games, which should help his cause trying to land a spot at the next level.

Good luck to the kid and the Bison in Frisco.

They lose Crockett and Vraa on offense this year. They have 4 of their 5 lineman back and quite possibly their best lineman will be back after not playing this year (Zach Johnson). Their offense will be just as good as this year. Now they may have to score more points next year, which will add some pressure to Wentz, but their offense will be fine.  

I've said NDSU's problem next year will be losing the starting safeties in the Tampa Two.

Losing three LBs (OK, two, given one is done already due to injury) and the DE just compounds it. 

PS - No disrespect intended to either, but Frazier and the Moorhead kid are not John Crockett and the NDSU offense hinges on establishing the power run game.  

Wentz is a big kid and has the tools, but having the tools....and using the tools are two different things.  He is in a run first offense, which should really boost his completion percentage because teams are expecting the run so when he does throw he should be able to pick them apart.  He could put it all together and have a great year next year, but he definitely needs to improve a lot before sitting on the bench on the NFL.  I've only watched a little of him, some say he's not that accurate at times?  I don't think you can really teach accuracy can you?  I'm not a football coach or QB expert or anything, I'm sure mechanics can be improved...but it kind of seems like you either have accuracy or you don't?  I'll let one of the football guru's here elaborate on that, however we could probably ask Tim Tebow.  He does apparently have the tools though, so we will see if he puts it all together.  If he improves even more next year I'm sure he'll get a shot at some training camps because of his size etc., I'll wish him luck.

What a great thread. The 2011 Bison Alumni and Bison (Lt.) Dan get their talking points from More Human(n) than Human(n) lakesbison and scurry here like good little rats and profess their loyalties, along with a couple other minions. But "UND is not a rival". OK.

One NFL scout comes to Fargo to look at Kyle Emanuel and makes a comment to Klieman regarding Carson Wentz and that becomes "all the scouts", turning this thread into ND Girls High School Hockey 2.0.

Great win by NDSU last night in a game that was delayed due to a high school basketball game in Illinois, in December, running long. That is a harsh dose of perspective. Nonetheless, what an unprecedented run the bison are on. Not sure what App. State did in years sandwiching their three peat, and I won't look it up. But this has been pretty impressive. As a UND fan, I have thought there is no way they can win this again and I have to hear about it until next season. For three years. That in itself is getting old. I hope Coach Bubba and his bosses are paying attention.

All that is left to complete this tired thread is a link to a Jeff Kolpack article declaring last night's game yet another "statement" game, which is turning into the most overused description out there. Even the sportswriters are getting bored. Here you go:http://www.inforum.com/sports/bison/3639013-kolpack-bison-defense-bounces-back-statement-game

Espn doesnt cut out of a program until its over. Doesnt matter if its Fcs or Nfl. But, HS bball on espn over fcs is kinda pathetic for Fcs

Probably some sour grapes with UND fans. He did get recruited by them but went the Bison way instead. Looking like a smart choice.

what if the ndac lose on the 10th and bubba pulls a nc out of thin air next year??? plus a und degree is a worth more in the long run...

what if the ndac lose on the 10th and bubba pulls a nc out of thin air next year??? plus a und degree is a worth more in the long run...

Meh, pretty sure both schools pieces of paper are pretty similar in value.

Should be a fun game to watch. This was the matchup I thought seemed the best. Settles the conference and national title.

Did you watch them today? They looked like SH*t for 3 qtrs. They are going to need a much better effort than that.

Played like crap against a team who had not lost an FCS game all year, had won 15 straight at home, and idk how important the travel is, but they played on the west coast last week.... And still won.

If they play in Texas like that, they will get beat down. But I am guessing they'll play better. Few weeks here to rest up. I'm expecting a good game.

I'll put it this way. The guy doesn't torch FCS. He is big fast and has an arm. Things you can't teach. But he doesn't pick apart defenses. He lights up defenses... Sometimes... When they stack the box.

Smart guy. Good athlete. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you are going to be an NFL quarterback. Its an extremely difficult thing to accomplish. He is not Flacco, Romo, Warner, or to a MAC-extent, Roethlisberger.

He is an okay quarterback on a team that is pretty good. That's what he is. Nothing wrong with that. Has UND had both football and hockey players who are solid who don't make the pros? Yep.

I'm more than happy to make a bet with anyone, twenty bucks, that he will not start game in the NFL.

So if a guy doesn't start in the NFL he sucks in college?  That's just rich. You need to stick to your hockey team and out of football logic.

Also, a QB needs WR's that can get seperation before they can star picking apart defenses. He does pretty good for a guy who's started 14 games of whatever.