SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

Being a fan, along with a teammaker, is all I can do. Maybe if UND had more fans, your team would be more successful on the field. Having fans like NDSU has helped this team tremendously by having what might be the best home field advantage in the FCS.

You guys try to tear down anything NDSU does using whatever crazy logic you can come up with, including now this playoff road argument. Again, until your team does something, don't puff your chest acting like NDSU has something to prove.

I guess I'm not sure what the job description of a "teammaker" is, but I'm sure you will have no problem telling us all how good you are at it.  I've played in front of loud crowds at UND and not loud crowds, and it's funny, not once did any of the fans come down and help us with the game.  I've been apart of teams that won games and lost games in front of all different types of crowds, when you're playing the game, something you have no experience doing, the crowd really becomes a non factor once the game starts.  Sure a loud crowd can cause a team to take a timeout here and there to get organized, but other than that, crowd noise never really made a huge difference, if these recent teams of NDSU didn't have loud fans, I'm sure they would still have been as successful as they have been, because they were good football teams, not because their fans are "awesome".

Don't lump me in with "guys" tearing down NDSU and the road playoff argument.  I've never done that or gave any insight into the road playoff records, if you're mad at someone for doing it, take it up with them, or get over it because what does it matter anyways.

I've never "puffed" my chest out about UND, not my thing, I am though proud to be a Fighting Sioux and will never be ashamed of it, no matter how successful the team has been recently.  But if UND fans want to do that on a UND message board, you're probably the last person anyone would take advice from on what to do and not to do on a message board.

UND did make the hypothetical playoffs.

That thought process was started on this site by some after the convincing win over Stoneybrook and their vaunted D....which is currently the #6 defense in the NFL.

I guess I'm not sure what the job description of a "teammaker" is, but I'm sure you will have no problem telling us all how good you are at it. I've played in front of loud crowds at UND and not loud crowds, and it's funny, not once did any of the fans come down and help us with the game. I've been apart of teams that won games and lost games in front of all different types of crowds, when you're playing the game, something you have no experience doing, the crowd really becomes a non factor once the game starts. Sure a loud crowd can cause a team to take a timeout here and there to get organized, but other than that, crowd noise never really made a huge difference, if these recent teams of NDSU didn't have loud fans, I'm sure they would still have been as successful as they have been, because they were good football teams, not because their fans are "awesome".

Don't lump me in with "guys" tearing down NDSU and the road playoff argument. I've never done that or gave any insight into the road playoff records, if you're mad at someone for doing it, take it up with them, or get over it because what does it matter anyways.

I've never "puffed" my chest out about UND, not my thing, I am though proud to be a Fighting Sioux and will never be ashamed of it, no matter how successful the team has been recently. But if UND fans want to do that on a UND message board, you're probably the last person anyone would take advice from on what to do and not to do on a message board.

That is good that you played at UND....Wish I had the opportunity to play college athletics.

For the record, I don't hate UND. I have never openly rooted against them to loose ever unless they are playing NDSU or them winning have a bearing on NDSU making the post season.

Being a fan, along with a teammaker, is all I can do. Maybe if UND had more fans, your team would be more successful on the field. Having fans like NDSU has helped this team tremendously by having what might be the best home field advantage in the FCS.

You guys try to tear down anything NDSU does using whatever crazy logic you can come up with, including now this playoff road argument. Again, until your team does something, don't puff your chest acting like NDSU has something to prove.

How does more fans make you more successful? How many did NDSU have at their first FCS playoff game at home? How many fans attended their 3-8 season of 2009? Fans is only a part of a winning atmosphere, but the 11 men on the field are the ones that put points in the board.

I think fan support does/can be a factor in games. su fan support at games do help. winning playoff games in the fargodome is a challenge - partly because of the atmosphere. give su credit for this. trouble is some of the fanbase can be over the top. nobody who posts here though

How does more fans make you more successful? How many did NDSU have at their first FCS playoff game at home? How many fans attended their 3-8 season of 2009? Fans is only a part of a winning atmosphere, but the 11 men on the field are the ones that put points in the board.

The 3-8 season NDSU averaged around 16,515 if I am not mistaken. One of the best in the FCS.

First playoff game, which was over Thanksgiving, was 12,500 if memory serves me correct.

Call it what you want, but NDSU fans show up and support NDSU, even during bad seasons. During the worst season in 50 years, NDSU averaged 16,515 fans...more fans then have ever attended a single home UND football game.

True fans at NDSU. Not band wagon jumpers like UND.

How do fans help? When you have 19k people screaming and hitting decibel levels in the 100's, you are going to make it very difficult for the opposing offense to operate. You see a lot of teams come into the dome and the noise overwhelms them.

The 3-8 season NDSU averaged around 16,515 if I am not mistaken. One of the best in the FCS.

First playoff game, which was over Thanksgiving, was 12,500 if memory serves me correct.

Call it what you want, but NDSU fans show up and support NDSU, even during bad seasons. During the worst season in 50 years, NDSU averaged 16,515 fans...more fans then have ever attended a single home UND football game.

True fans at NDSU. Not band wagon jumpers like UND.

What was the average during the DII era when NDSU was canning coaches? Don't say NDSU doesn't have bandwagon fans.

How do fans help? When you have 19k people screaming and hitting decibel levels in the 100's, you are going to make it very difficult for the opposing offense to operate. You see a lot of teams come into the dome and the noise overwhelms them.

Unless you are UND in the Fargodome then the noise in the dome is just cheers from UND fans

What was the average during the DII era when NDSU was canning coaches? Don't say NDSU doesn't have bandwagon fans.

Around 12k.

NDSU has been D1 now for over a decade. You are really really reaching. Even when it only was 12k average attendance and D2, we still weren't showing up with only 6k at home games, like UND had this year. It is pathetic for a so called flagship university. Jesus, there are more than 6k NDSU fans in attendance during some of our ROAD games.

Around 12k.

NDSU has been D1 now for over a decade. You are really really reaching. Even when it only was 12k average attendance and D2, we still weren't showing up with only 6k at home games, like UND had this year. It is pathetic for a so called flagship university. Jesus, there are more than 6k NDSU fans in attendance during some of our ROAD games.

Football isn't our #1 sport hockey is, why weren't you selling out the dome in the 90's and 2000's like you have been in the 2010's? When the REA was built in 2001 we have had more sellouts without it taking a NC to do it.

Football isn't our #1 sport hockey is, why weren't you selling out the dome in the 90's and 2000's like you have been in the 2010's? When the REA was built in 2001 we have had more sellouts without it taking a NC to do it.

FCS has added a lot to fan satisfaction versus watching us play NAIA schools.

Correct me if I am wrong but hockey is played in the winter and for the majority of the season, those two sports do not overlap and should not interfere with fan attendance. Again, it is pathetic that a flagship university is only have 6-7k fans show up for a game in October.

Good try though to bring up hockey. I know you try to do it as much as possible to bridge the gap in an argument.

Correct me if I am wrong but hockey is played in the winter and for the majority of the season, those two sports do not overlap and should not interfere with fan attendance. Again, it is pathetic that a flagship university is only have 6-7k fans show up for a game in October.

Good try though to bring up hockey. I know you try to do it as much as possible to bridge the gap in an argument.

And it's patheitc for you to think there are no bandwagon fans at NDSU, when you could've gotten football tickets at Stop N Go.

Darell,

Nice talking to you, as always. I know you will be sitting at home tonight with your pillow, watching NDSU play football, and praying to god they get beat.

Have to get back on the road so I can go support my university tonight. Take care.

Yep you will surely support your school by posting on the UND message board.

Eh,  I know of people that don't call themselves NDSU fans, who attend NDSU games as it gives them a football game to see as that is pretty much what Fargo has, as well as other schools alumni, and people who go to MSU-Morehead.

One of the major problems with UND is the Alerus Center, where I don't feel it is terrible, alot of people don't like it for football, I don't see that as a valid excuse. The problem that really arises is the fact that it is off-campus, and majority of the students in dorms do not have cars, so they would have to take a shuttle to the game, and even though I don't live on campus, I never was aware of the schedule or pickup locations of the shuttle. 

The attendance did start dropping after the hockey season started, and yes hockey did start 1st weekend of October, so nice try saying its a winter sport that wasn't started yet.

If you don't believe hockey is the main sport here or that what people care about you have never been on campus here even for a moment. Most houses on campus have hockey flags, window decals, etc. Students will stand outside before 8am for a 7:37 game in freezing temperatures. There is a massive waiting list(last I heard) for season tickets. I believe each game had 800 non-season single tickets released per policy(besides holiday games, where students tickets are sold to general public), and they are ussually sold out quickly. Almost of the students talk about hockey, and there are alot of students that came from schools in the Cities where hockey was their main sports, and football wasn't huge there. 

Even the people who I talked to that were here before 2001 said the reason they went to the football games mainly was something to do before the hockey game right next door that night.

• Upvote 1