SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen4sioux

#buttregularseasonrecord

who remembers regular seasons records?

I don't

I remember nattys

You want the coach fired if the team gives up a goal.

So in gfhockey's world, fire the coach if the team doesn't go undefeated and doesn't have a shutout every game.

Rich Comley was almost run out of East Lansing after four or five years with Michigan State? In his fourth year he got second place in the conference and lost in the NCAA quarterfinals. Must be high standards in East Lansing.

I have some friends who are 30+ year season ticket holders at NMU and know a couple of former Spartan players - yes, I know what I'm talking about. Ron Mason won three CCHA regular season titles and three playoff titles in his last five years at East Lansing. The Spartans won at least 27 games in each of those five years and won more than 30 in two of those five years. Sparty also made 5 trips to the NCAA tournament and went to 2 Frozen Fours during that time frame.

By contrast, Comley's first three years garnered win totals of 23, 23, and 20, respectively, resulting in 4th, 3rd, and 6th place CCHA regular season finishes, and 0 tournament titles. MSU missed the NCAA tournament in 2 of his first 3 seasons at the helm. The 05-06 team rebounded to win the CCHA playoffs and made it as far as the NCAA tournament quarterfinals, which likely saved Comley's job and set the stage for the 06-07 title team.

Ron Mason and Rick Comley go back a looooong ways and no doubt, Mason certainly did not want to fire his long-time friend. I was at an NMU/MSU series in Marquette several hears ago and Comley receved a standing ovation both nights in pre-game introductions. He is still treated like a hero in the town for starting up the hockey program at the school. A Yooper hockey legend.

I have some friends who are 30+ year season ticket holders at NMU and know a couple of former Spartan players - yes, I know what I'm talking about. Ron Mason won three CCHA regular season titles and two playoff titles in his last five years at East Lansing. The Spartans won at least 27 games in each of those five years and won more than 30 three of those five years. Sparty also had 5 trips to the NCAA tournament and 2 Frozen Fours at the end of Mason's tenure.

By contrast, Comley's first three years garnered win totals of 23, 23, and 20, respectively, 4th, 3rd, and 6th place CCHA regular season finishes, and 0 tournament titles. MSU missed the NCAA tournament in 2 of his first 3 seasons at the helm. The 05-06 team rebounded to win the CCHA playoffs and advance to the NCAA quarterfinals, which likely saved Comley's job and set the stage for the 06-07 title team.

Ron Mason and Rick Comley go back a looooong ways and no doubt, Mason certainly did not want to fire his long-time friend. I was at an NMU/MSU series several hears ago and Comley receved a standing ovation both nights in pre-game introductions. He is still treated like a hero in Marquette for starting up the hockey program at the school.

Looking back at Rick Comley's record his last few years at NMU. One would ever wonder why Michigan State would have even hired him in the first place.

Guess I know why.

Looking back at Rick Comley's record his last few years at NMU. One would ever wonder why Michigan State would have even hired him in the first place.

Guess I know why.

Comley played for Mason at Lake Superior State and took over that program after Mason moved on. Rumor was that Mason wanted to retire several years before he actually did, but Comley turned down Mason's job offer. When offered the job a second time, Comley decided to take it.

The Hak supporters properly point out the success of the team in his time and his .600 W PCT and that's great. If Jones, Brewster and even Bubba did that with several trips to the playoffs/Big Dance they'd be here for life.

But this is UND HOCKEY. The standard is higher and every year that we don't get a title it's as though we accept anything less than a title. No one expects to win one every year, and we do give a guy a chance and 10 years is more than fair.

Plus how many coaches, even pro, wouldn't want to try coaching here? We would get applicants from all over the hockey world.

• Upvote 1

The Hak supporters properly point out the success of the team in his time and his .600 W PCT and that's great. If Jones, Brewster and even Bubba did that with several trips to the playoffs/Big Dance they'd be here for life.

But this is UND HOCKEY. The standard is higher and every year that we don't get a title it's as though we accept anything less than a title. No one expects to win one every year, and we do give a guy a chance and 10 years is more than fair.

Plus how many coaches, even pro, wouldn't want to try coaching here? We would get applicants from all over the hockey world.

Those are all imaginary applicants until you can identify someone who would come (can't count York, for example, or Lucia) and who is likely to do better. Who is that person, in your mind?

You literally say the same things over and over and over.