SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance for Saturday

Risky

David,

I think you are missing the point... Especially the part about the students.  They feel like they are just put off to the side... I have literally heard this from many of them myself.  Additionally I played in the early 2000's and they didn't sell reserved spots when the al first opened... In fact I know of many parents who would get up extra early to get a "good" spot for tailgating... And quite frankly, they were ousted in favor of a huge tent.  They are members of the Champions Club too... Oh and about the $50 spots... Sure... There would be backlash... From the people who don't show up consistently or during the cold months. But they are just the fair-weather fans anyway... What about the people who show up every home game? Wouldn't you want to make sure they are excited and want to come tailgate? Instead of again feeling like they are just out in the middle of nowhere with 10-20 spots in-between them and the next people there?  

I have been to quite a few "Big Time" college football games and I can always remember paying for parking... But I don't remember ever having to deal with a reserved spot for tailgating... 

Just my .02 

is it too much to ask the alerus (the city mind you) to just back off a little on the commy mind set out there....how about free parking, free anywhere tailgating, and letting people have some fun without the alerus mafia coming down asking you to leave or giving out minors like their candy?  

We ended up quite far back in the tailgate lots for various reasons this year but I'm absolutely in favor of the reserved spots.  While we are one of the first groups there, it is nice to know our spots will be there for us and for others to know where we will be located when they show up later.  I will agree that it is a little frustrating to see a fair amount of empty spots around us, but the weather hasn't been exactly ideal outside of the first game (where the lots were absolutely packed).  I will say, despite the cooler weather last week, the lots were much more full than I expected and definitely more people than against Stony Brook, but guessing the small monsoon that came through as the lots were opening deterred people.

We are actually right next to the student lot and I'm having a hard time buying that they feel put off to the side especially considering there hasn't been a whole lot of them outside the first game.  Not sure what the solution for that would be anyway as their attendance seems to be very much dependent on the weather. If you give them spots in the middle of other groups that are there every week, there could very well be a lot of empty spots a lot of weeks and later in the season.

I suppose there isn't a way to reshuffle after each year, to move groups who are consistently there towards the front and those who only show up when it is nice or close to game time closer to the back.  Also, I imagine it is frustrating for those that only want to tailgate once or twice a year, but when you have that many people who are willing to commit to a full year, that seems like the group that you want to make those making the commitment happy.  There were quite a few years were we just parked in the normal lots and walked around the whole time, visiting with others.  And there has been reserved tailgating spots for at least the last 10 years or so if not longer.

While tailgating isn't perfect and there is always room for improvement, I would say it is being done fairly well right now.

• Upvote 1

David,

I think you are missing the point... Especially the part about the students.  They feel like they are just put off to the side... I have literally heard this from many of them myself.  Additionally I played in the early 2000's and they didn't sell reserved spots when the al first opened... In fact I know of many parents who would get up extra early to get a "good" spot for tailgating... And quite frankly, they were ousted in favor of a huge tent.  They are members of the Champions Club too... Oh and about the $50 spots... Sure... There would be backlash... From the people who don't show up consistently or during the cold months. But they are just the fair-weather fans anyway... What about the people who show up every home game? Wouldn't you want to make sure they are excited and want to come tailgate? Instead of again feeling like they are just out in the middle of nowhere with 10-20 spots in-between them and the next people there?  

I have been to quite a few "Big Time" college football games and I can always remember paying for parking... But I don't remember ever having to deal with a reserved spot for tailgating... 

Just my .02 

I don't think I'm getting a good understanding of where you see the problem lies.  I'm fairly certain a good portion of the $50/spot people do show up most weeks and would be upset if they were "forced" to show up early to get the spot they have been guaranteed in the past (what if we did the same with season tickets inside?).  Feel free to reach out to me (email: david.primus@athletics.UND.edu).  You obviously know the history of that area pretty well, and I'd be interested in hearing more on that as well as better understanding your concerns.  Thanks and GO UND!

I encourage students come to my tailgate. Bring me back to the good ole days. God for short

Let people know how to find you.  Some of us would like to see if you really exist and if so maybe get an autograph or photo op!  Students should not miss an opportunity to schmooze with a legend.  Make sure you have plenty of beverages for them.

• Upvote 4

Let people know how to find you. Some of us would like to see if you really exist and if so maybe get an autograph or photo op! Students should not miss an opportunity to schmooze with a legend. Make sure you have plenty of beverages for them.

I'm beginning to think gfhockey and Carl Gerbschmidt might be the same person.

maybe one row could have reserved spots and one with first come first serve.  

Also, I know some students don't tailgate, because they have to get the permits ahead of time.  Most of my friends wouldn't commit early to something like that, and go to games as last second decisions, because they didn't know ahead of time if they wanted to go.   For instance, they didn't know if they would have enough energy to go after goose hunting, or many of them wouldn't want to go until the day of the game.  Passes for students have to be bought at the union, correct?  They should be able to buy them at the game if this is the case.

• Upvote 1

Also, I know some students don't tailgate, because they have to get the permits ahead of time.  Most of my friends wouldn't commit early to something like that, and go to games as last second decisions, because they didn't know ahead of time if they wanted to go.   For instance, they didn't know if they would have enough energy to go after goose hunting, or many of them wouldn't want to go until the day of the game.  Passes for students have to be bought at the union, correct?  They should be able to buy them at the game if this is the case.

I agree except for your friends goose hunting logic. An 18-22 year old better have enough energy after laying in a goose blind. You need to talk some sense into them!

I agree except for your friends goose hunting logic. An 18-22 year old better have enough energy after laying in a goose blind. You need to talk some sense into them!

Haha I agree!  It's too late now that I graduated, but I got them to go to a few.  It was tough to get them to go after goose hunting, because I could barely get them to go when they were bored!  Started going with my buddies younger brother before I graduated haha.

Edit: I was at UND through the duration of the transition, so they weren't interested in watching the likes of Joey Bradley haha.  Happy to say that I converted them from hockey-only.  They are now semi-respectable football fans.

• Upvote 2

For what it's worth - we have a couple hundred student tailgate passes for every game.  First come, first serve at the student ticket office in Memorial Union until they're gone.  And free.

Students who don't plan ahead can buy one on gameday - Alerus Center will sell it to them, plus they can setup in the same lot as other students who got one ahead of time.

I really hope that the University rethinks its attitude about students and their attendence at sporting events.  Students are vital to a loud and exciting game atmosphere in every sport and not only should be made to feel welcome, but also encouraged by making attendence as easy as possible whether it is with tailgating or easy ticket sales.  The more of a pain it is the more students will stay away.  At some level (not sure where this starts) it seems like all students are viewed as potential problems who need to be watched as carefully as possible.  Some lower level officials do their duties with the zeal of Junior High dance monitors and spend every second looking for "rules" violations.  Give the kids a little space and make them feel welcome.  If they are causing a problem or blatently doing something wrong then take care of that situation.  We need to make them part of the Sioux family.  I think the attitude towards students turned about the same time as athletics went "corporate" and hockey became a big social event.  Fervent fans including students were not as valuable a commodity as people with big bucks to spend on suites and the good seats.  How dare the students want to stand and cheer on their team.  Those of us who remember the Old Ralph know what an excited student section can mean to a game.  Please spend a little time thinking about how to involve students and rethink the attitude that seems designed to drive them away. 

I agree with you 100%, but get ready for all the "you are living in the past" accusations.  Sometimes things need to be called out for what they are, whether it's popular to do so or not.  Well done, Irish.

I agree with you 100%, but get ready for all the "you are living in the past" accusations. Sometimes things need to be called out for what they are, whether it's popular to do so or not. Well done, Irish.

Also get ready for people here to call for taking away seats from students at hockey and football for their own school in favor of the almighty dollar!

One more section gone for hockey this year. Only a few more left to go til mission complete.

• Upvote 3

I have to admit I noticed too many empty student seats last year. If they aren't filling them, why not sell the seats as GA seating? However, the minute I see a completely, consistently full student section and the students want more seats, yes, definitely. It's a delicate balance. 

What I'm more fearful is that in general (and it's seen nationally, see Michigan State FB for example) that students just aren't showing up like they used to.

Is it demographics, specifically diversity? A more diverse student population may not have grown up with football (for example) and may not go. Is it demographics, specifically a more "student older than average" base? I thought I read somewhere that the general student population is getting slightly older (with more outside responsibilities). 

Is it generational? For this generation 3 hours of anything is an eternity. And especially when the focus is not on them. It's stereotypical but this recent AT&T commercial seems to sum part of it up well: " ... my new selfie got 100 likes, ... 100!"

Ask the average college student today if they'd rather have that or be at a game and see Braden Hanson throw for 660 or see Jason Ulmer throw up a 3G-3A-6Pts line in a game.

• Upvote 2

I have to admit I noticed too many empty student seats last year. If they aren't filling them, why not sell the seats as GA seating? However, the minute I see a completely, consistently full student section and the students want more seats, yes, definitely. It's a delicate balance.

What I'm more fearful is that in general (and it's seen nationally, see Michigan State FB for example) that students just aren't showing up like they used to.

Is it demographics, specifically diversity? A more diverse student population may not have grown up with football (for example) and may not go. Is it demographics, specifically a more "student older than average" base? I thought I read somewhere that the general student population is getting slightly older (with more outside responsibilities).

Is it generational? For this generation 3 hours of anything is an eternity. And especially when the focus is not on them. It's stereotypical but this recent AT&T commercial seems to sum part of it up well: " ... my new selfie got 100 likes, ... 100!"

Ask the average college student today if they'd rather have that or be at a game and see Braden Hanson throw for 660 or see Jason Ulmer throw up a 3G-3A-6Pts line in a game.

I do know that a lot of foreign exchange students, specifically the Asian ones love to experience Americana, they love going to the hockey games for example since it's such a good atmosphere, they don't go to football games because the atmosphere sucks. I know it's gotten better very recently which will go a long way toward getting more kids of all demos back in the stands. The few that stayed for Montana game looked like they had a blast, that will go a long way.

Let people know how to find you.  Some of us would like to see if you really exist and if so maybe get an autograph or photo op!  Students should not miss an opportunity to schmooze with a legend.  Make sure you have plenty of beverages for them.

How many other tailgate spots have atleast one keg?

Go get off your but and walk around and bs with other people

So not going to tell people where to find you so they can stop by and be introduced to some of the GOBC or.....?

I know there has been a debate here recently about student attendance. As a current student, let me give you what I believe to be my insight into attendance problems here and at the Ralph.

Lets focus on football first. The biggest problem is the football program is viewed as a joke on campus. Students on social media constatnly make fun of the team. Until the team is "respectable" ,and what we as students define as respectable is beyond me, attendance will not be high. The ushers and rules at the football game are significantly less of a problem than one might think (I will go into more detail on the Ralphs ushers later.) Very rarely have they come down, to where I can see them( I'm usually front row though, so oblivious to whats going on behind me.) As for what "incentives" could be used to draw more students to the games, I' not 100% sure. I know that quite a few students enjoy the fact that the football team comes over for high fives after the game, win or lose. I guess Athletics and the Alerus could find ways to make the students feel more welcome. Maybe getting the band to play more than one song a season facing us would make us feel more important? For tailgaiting, we feel disconnected from the rest of the crowd. It's like it was an afterthought to give students a tailgate lot and gave them the only lot they had left. Nothing is involved over there besides the NoDak nation tent, and whatever little table they occasionally have near the tent. Weather is also a huge factor in how the turnout is for tailgaiting

Now for hockey. I know the Ralphs ushers are a lot more... invasive, than the ones at the Alerus. It seems like they try to limit the students much more than they should. I am a sophomore, and it is my understanding that the Students were once able to stand in the lower deck and would be allowed more freedom to heckle the players in the penalty box. I think the new student incentives for prior to the game will help. But as too what else can be done, Im not 100% sure.

• Upvote 1

I know there has been a debate here recently about student attendance. As a current student, let me give you what I believe to be my insight into attendance problems here and at the Ralph.

Lets focus on football first. The biggest problem is the football program is viewed as a joke on campus. Students on social media constatnly make fun of the team. Until the team is "respectable" ,and what we as students define as respectable is beyond me, attendance will not be high. The ushers and rules at the football game are significantly less of a problem than one might think (I will go into more detail on the Ralphs ushers later.) Very rarely have they come down, to where I can see them( I'm usually front row though, so oblivious to whats going on behind me.) As for what "incentives" could be used to draw more students to the games, I' not 100% sure. I know that quite a few students enjoy the fact that the football team comes over for high fives after the game, win or lose. I guess Athletics and the Alerus could find ways to make the students feel more welcome. Maybe getting the band to play more than one song a season facing us would make us feel more important? For tailgaiting, we feel disconnected from the rest of the crowd. It's like it was an afterthought to give students a tailgate lot and gave them the only lot they had left. Nothing is involved over there besides the NoDak nation tent, and whatever little table they occasionally have near the tent. Weather is also a huge factor in how the turnout is for tailgaiting

Now for hockey. I know the Ralphs ushers are a lot more... invasive, than the ones at the Alerus. It seems like they try to limit the students much more than they should. I am a sophomore, and it is my understanding that the Students were once able to stand in the lower deck and would be allowed more freedom to heckle the players in the penalty box. I think the new student incentives for prior to the game will help. But as too what else can be done, Im not 100% sure.

What's your opinion on the thought of decreasing the student section if they aren't going to use it or at least stay for the whole game. (At the Alerus)

I think it is a generational thing as far as student attendance. Free bus ride, free tailgating and usually some kind of free hand-out - much more than was available when games were at Memorial Stadium (of course then they could walk over pie-eyed). Plus spread the word that all they have to do is walk through tailgate alley and start up conversations and they will be very welcomed with food and if they are legal an adult beverage.

Do we need to start putting up signs on our tailgate rigs that say "Students Welcome"?

I think it is a generational thing as far as student attendance. Free bus ride, free tailgating and usually some kind of free hand-out - much more than was available when games were at Memorial Stadium (of course then they could walk over pie-eyed). Plus spread the word that all they have to do is walk through tailgate alley and start up conversations and they will be very welcomed with food and if they are legal an adult beverage.

Do we need to start putting up signs on our tailgate rigs that say "Students Welcome"?

When do the shuttles start bringing kids home?  Do they do return shuttles at half time?  If the students don't have a shuttle till the end of the 3rd or 4th quarter, then they will have to stay the whole game!

Also, why are the students in the back of the alley they are in?  If I remember correctly, isn't there tons of empty space between the end of the student tailgate lot and the Alerus?  Perhaps their zone should be moved closer.

My buddies noticed that the band always faced the opposite direction as well.  They were not pleased, and they mentioned it every half time.