SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance for Saturday

Risky

Going to football games and staying the whole time just needs to be cool again. There are a bunch of ways to get there. It's not as if the hockey team has been phenomenal the past few years like they used to be but the student section is still packed and lively because it's cool.

I remember upper bowl being more empty than usual last year for students. Notice how all these fan incentives came this year and look where most of them are directed to.

Makes sense since UND has a contractual lease agreement with the Alerus Center.

I know UND's athletics department has noticed the student attendance issue. I honestly think both the size and location of the student section are too lenient towards the students. The student section should be moved over to the 20 or 30 yard line (let season ticket holders be on the 50 yard line on both sides) and the student section should be decreased in size. Right now, there are very good seating spots that are not even occupied on game day. 

That would make sense if the other parts of the arena are full, but there not. Its not like the student section was is the only empty parts. I look across to the fifty yard line on the other side and lots of open seats. 

Its a non issue when there is 7,000 people at the games.

• Upvote 1

That would make sense if the other parts of the arena are full, but there not. Its not like the student section was is the only empty parts. I look across to the fifty yard line on the other side and lots of open seats.

Its a non issue when there is 7,000 people at the games.

There won't always be 7,000 people at games. Even last year there was 10,000 at a game and this year 9,000. When there's 5 digit attendance, having an empty student section is a real bad deal.

There won't always be 7,000 people at games. Even last year there was 10,000 at a game and this year 9,000. When there's 5 digit attendance, having an empty student section is a real bad deal.

About as bad as a deal as having 3,000 empty seats when the games at 10,000. You're talking about one game with 10,000. If the general public isn't going to show up. I say lets cut their sections.

We don't have to worry about it for a long time as this year will probably average hopefully 8,000. 

there are very good seating spots that are not even occupied on game day. 

People must like there currents seats because anybody can go sit in those empty seats. Or there just isn't anybody that wants too.

And as the rest of the Alerus fills up with the general population (if they start winning), the student section will fill up just as much. 

Why not just get rid of the student seats (and the band) so the Alerus/UND can make more money? I mean they don't even pay. They barely show. They barely cheer. Moving the student sections to the corners will be a great way to make sure less students come to football games. And that should be the goal!

It will never even be an issue because if the rest of the stadium were to fill up (like the REA). UND/Alerus would just sell the remaining student tickets not picked up by a certain date to the general public (like REA). (But you wanna decrease the number of students that will be available to watch their own schools football team by cutting their section for the all mighty dollar. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.)

• Upvote 1

About as bad as a deal as having 3,000 empty seats when the games at 10,000. You're talking about one game with 10,000. If the general public isn't going to show up. I say lets cut their sections.

We don't have to worry about it for a long time as this year will probably average hopefully 8,000. 

People must like there currents seats because anybody can go sit in those empty seats. Or there just isn't anybody that wants too.

And as the rest of the Alerus fills up with the general population (if they start winning), the student section will fill up just as much. 

Why not just get rid of the student seats (and the band) so the Alerus/UND can make more money? I mean they don't even pay. They barely show. They barely cheer. 

It will never even be an issue because if the rest of the stadium were to fill up (like the REA). UND/Alerus would just sell the remaining student tickets not picked up by a certain date to the general public (like REA). (But you wanna decrease the number of students that will be available to watch their own schools football team by cutting their section for the all mighty dollar. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.)

the band??? considering how boring the alerus can be at time can you imagine if the band wasn't there to try and keep up the "collegiate feel"?  the band at football and hockey is awesome...at bball games a little weak.

• Upvote 3

Why not just get rid of the student seats (and the band) so the Alerus/UND can make more money? I mean they don't even pay. They barely show. They barely cheer. Moving the student sections to the corners will be a great way to make sure less students come to football games. And that should be the goal!

All of these predictions are just that, predictions. There's no way to know exactly how the team will do and exactly how the attendance will be. However, it is certain winning teams draw crowds. It would be a real shame if several seats were left empty at the 50 yard line when the rest of the Alerus is filled and UND is playing winning football. I suppose you could be a "rebel" and sit in those student section seats then in order to appease your plan. 

It would be a real shame if several seats were left empty at the 50 yard line when the rest of the Alerus is filled and UND is playing winning football.

It will never even be an issue because if the rest of the stadium were to fill up/sell out (like the REA). UND/Alerus would just sell the remaining student tickets not picked up by a certain date to the general public (like REA)

I'm pretty sure that UND makes all of these decisions on tickets.  UND rents the facility and decides what to charge for tickets.  The only input that the Alerus Center may have would be limits on the standing room area, and that may depend on the Fire Marshall.  The suites are a separate topic, they are rented out by the Alerus Center for the entire year.  But I'm pretty sure that the contract with UND spells out what can be done with the suites for games.

Alerus has some suite availability on a game by game basis.  I've done it twice over the years, it's a blast.  You sign a contract for the game, which includes VIP parking and if you request, some tailgating spots.  Must call Alerus to set-up.

• 2 weeks later...

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11652187&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

Article on how Michigan State AD is upset about student attendance at football games.

Brian Faison needs to be proactive about this too. If the student sections are not being best utilized to HELP the team competitively, then some of those sections should be made available to the public and season ticket holders.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11652187&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

Article on how Michigan State AD is upset about student attendance at football games.

Brian Faison needs to be proactive about this too. If the student sections are not being best utilized to HELP the team competitively, then some of those sections should be made available to the public and season ticket holders.

Agree. If the students want to leave at halftime or not show up have their "seating" be standing behind the endzones, and let the public sit in their section.

It's a fine line.  They do contribute a large amount of fees to the athletic department.  They have taken some steps in the this direction already within the last year or two by moving the students over a section.  The best thing for everyone is a good team on the field that the students are excited to come support. Feels like we are headed in the right direction. Hopefully with it being Homecoming week and fairly decent weather forecasted for Saturday, there's another good turnout.

• Upvote 2

Slighlty over 10,000 and I will be one of them. Finally get to see these guys live. Last week I watched the first half on my phone with Big sky network. Not bad, but it would freeze up every 3 minutes so it got to be frustrating. Then the second half I was driving to a wedding and kind of keeping track on ESPN game tracker until the game got tied up. I then was getting a play by play from my brother who was watching on TV. So this should definitely be a upgrade.  

Slighlty over 10,000 and I will be one of them. Finally get to see these guys live. Last week I watched the first half on my phone with Big sky network. Not bad, but it would freeze up every 3 minutes so it got to be frustrating. Then the second half I was driving to a wedding and kind of keeping track on ESPN game tracker until the game got tied up. I then was getting a play by play from my brother who was watching on TV. So this should definitely be a upgrade.  

i don't have the greatest smart phone so i thought all the buffering on the big sky app was me...sometimes it was perfect than messages would pop up saying "null" and then it would freeze?? anyone else have this problem?

i don't have the greatest smart phone so i thought all the buffering on the big sky app was me...sometimes it was perfect than messages would pop up saying "null" and then it would freeze?? anyone else have this problem?

Mine would just freeze momentarily then start up again after 10 seconds or so. I never got any messages though. Were you connected to Wifi? That could create some issues if you weren't.

Mine would just freeze momentarily then start up again after 10 seconds or so. I never got any messages though. Were you connected to Wifi? That could create some issues if you weren't.

i watched  most of the montana state game at home on wifi and it was fine but non-wifi its hit or miss...froze up right before the pick six!! kind of annoying!

Students need to realize they can make a difference. Need to show up and stay through second half. Tailgaters should let students know we appreciate them coming and share whatever is legal for the students to consume. Kelly and Faison need to get out from behind their desks and rally the students. They should have big Friday night bonfire with bubba, coaches, band and team and free food and legal beverages. Kelly should also let faculty know they need to participate so they can reconnect with alumni. Faison needs to take a look at game programs. Do something there for students. Also should recognize cheerleaders, dance team and band in the program. He should be our biggest cheerleader. He has most of the biggest part already.

Students need to realize they can make a difference. Need to show up and stay through second half. Tailgaters should let students know we appreciate them coming and share whatever is legal for the students to consume. Kelly and Faison need to get out from behind their desks and rally the students. They should have big Friday night bonfire with bubba, coaches, band and team and free food and legal beverages. Kelly should also let faculty know they need to participate so they can reconnect with alumni. Faison needs to take a look at game programs. Do something there for students. Also should recognize cheerleaders, dance team and band in the program. He should be our biggest cheerleader. He has most of the biggest part already.

Very good point and something I too have observed.

Both Faison and Kelley need to be more active promoting football. Hiring Bubba was great in the fact that he is respectful and capable of successfully communicating with everyone from alumni to students to his players. He is picking up some slack that Faison and Kelley could definitely help with.

Very good point and something I too have observed.

Both Faison and Kelly need to be more active promoting football. Hiring Bubba was great in the fact that he is respectful and capable of successfully communicating with everyone from alumni to students to his players. He is picking up some slack that Faison and Kelly could definitely help with.

Those two also need to prepare new contracts for our FB staff. Can't afford to lose to assistants cuz we aren't paying top FCS scale.same goes for MBB,WBB,VB. That is the responsibility of Kelly and Faison. They shouldn't need donations for salaries, the donations can be for facilities, uniforms, perks and bonuses etc. lots of work yet to do.
  • Upvote 2