SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance for Saturday

Risky

Those two also need to prepare new contracts for our FB staff. Can't afford to lose to assistants cuz we aren't paying top FCS scale.same goes for MBB,WBB,VB. That is the responsibility of Kelly and Faison. They shouldn't need donations for salaries, the donations can be for facilities, uniforms, perks and bonuses etc. lots of work yet to do.

Doing baseball would make upping the salaries much easier....

• Upvote 1

you want to know how to keep butts in the seat and make a boat load of money??!?!?!?!?!

instead of the 4th qtr food special

4th qtr drink special!!!!

3.00 beers!

you know whats the best thing about that

people cant leave if they have a beer in hand

its forces them to stay

GOBC approves and email was drafted to the AL

• Upvote 3

you want to know how to keep butts in the seat and make a boat load of money??!?!?!?!?!

instead of the 4th qtr food special

4th qtr drink special!!!!

3.00 beers!

you know whats the best thing about that

people cant leave if they have a beer in hand

its forces them to stay

GOBC approves and email was drafted to the AL

What's the over under that if someone was going to grill liver and onions for tailgating there would be enough for the whole crowd if they could use your liver
  • Upvote 1

Bubba needs to walk around campus and speak directly with students, maybe hand out tickets to students(As some are too lazy to pick up their free ticket). Coach Kill did this for Minnesota and seemed to make a huge difference. Let the students know how much they are appreciated at the games.

• Upvote 1

Very good point and something I too have observed.

Both Faison and Kelly need to be more active promoting football. Hiring Bubba was great in the fact that he is respectful and capable of successfully communicating with everyone from alumni to students to his players. He is picking up some slack that Faison and Kelly could definitely help with.

One of my biggest problems with the Kelley regime is that he treats athletics like a "necessary evil".....with the emphasis on the "evil".  Kupchella did this as well.  The last UND President that was a genuine supporter of the athletic department was Kendall Baker.

The real test of Kelley's commitment to the FB program will be if (and I believe, when) Bubba takes this program back to national prominence and he starts getting looks from lower-level FBS schools.  Will the Kelley regime support Faison in ponying up the cash to keep him?  Or will we just "let him go" like we did Lennon back in 2007?  Time will tell on this.

There won't always be 7,000 people at games. Even last year there was 10,000 at a game and this year 9,000. When there's 5 digit attendance, having an empty student section is a real bad deal.

When there is 10,000 people there the student section isn't empty. And it doesn't help that they charge $$$ for student tickets when more than 1 or 2k go. The main reason kids don't show is because they can't drink in the student section, and if they do they will likely get a minor because cops are constantly trying to bust them. Once we have a better product on the field, which we now do, students will have a reason to stay for the second half after the buzz wears off.

When there is 10,000 people there the student section isn't empty. And it doesn't help that they charge $$$ for student tickets when more than 1 or 2k go. The main reason kids don't show is because they can't drink in the student section, and if they do they will likely get a minor because cops are constantly trying to bust them. Once we have a better product on the field, which we now do, students will have a reason to stay for the second half after the buzz wears off.

Students apparently aren't very creative these days.  None of the venues sold alcohol at all when I was there.  It didn't stop anyone from drinking if that was their thing.

Students apparently aren't very creative these days.  None of the venues sold alcohol at all when I was there.  It didn't stop anyone from drinking if that was their thing.

There weren't cops handing out minors like candy on Halloween then either..... it's even cutting into student hockey attendance.  Kelley needs to go.

There weren't cops handing out minors like candy on Halloween then either..... it's even cutting into student hockey attendance. Kelley needs to go.

Halloween used to be nuts, in a good way. Now everyone that isn't 21 is paranoid because the frats are no longer safe. People over 21 don't want to deal with it so they just go downtown now.

A lot of blame is put on Kelley for trying to curtail the student section drinking but you also have to look at the crowd around the student section. Kelley is responding to complaints from old fogeys that incessantly complain that students are being students. 

• Upvote 2

There weren't cops handing out minors like candy on Halloween then either..... it's even cutting into student hockey attendance.  Kelley needs to go.

Well, I don't think I'd do too well in college these days then.  You will never eradicate college kids 18-20 from drinking.  You'll just give them criminal records without accomplishing anything.  It's too bad Kelley is apparently making underage drinking a priority.

• Upvote 3

A lot of blame is put on Kelley for trying to curtail the student section drinking but you also have to look at the crowd around the student section. Kelley is responding to complaints from old fogeys that incessantly complain that students are being students. 

The students that were at the game this past weekend vs. Montana were awesome.  When they started chanting the kickers last name (Sully) during the timeouts before the final field goal, I was laughing.  I sit right next to their section and they did not give that kid a break after the first missed FG.  That is the reason I do not want to move that section.  I'm hoping with the return of an exciting defense and a competitive team, attendance comes back (throughout the entire stadium).  The ones who were there last week seemed to be enjoying themselves.

• Upvote 4

....Faison need to get out from behind their desks and rally the students. They should have big Friday night bonfire with bubba, coaches, band and team and free food and legal beverages.....Faison needs to take a look at game programs. Do something there for students. Also should recognize cheerleaders, dance team and band in the program. He should be our biggest cheerleader. He has most of the biggest part already.

Those two also need to prepare new contracts for our FB staff. Can't afford to lose to assistants cuz we aren't paying top FCS scale.same goes for MBB,WBB,VB. That is the responsibility of Kelly and Faison. They shouldn't need donations for salaries, the donations can be for facilities, uniforms, perks and bonuses etc. lots of work yet to do.

Sounds good in theory, but our AD is literally incapable of doing most of this.  You know this as well as I do, Ira.

I lost all confidence in him with how aloof and clueless he came across in the hiring process.  The timing, the lack of knowledge on how college athletics and specifically football works nowadays, the lack of expedience, the lack of networking and headhunting skills - everything.  His ultimate choice is/was a great one, but how he got there was an embarrassment to his profession and the UND Athletic Department.

I personally am counting down the days until we have a new AD.  It's the next step in rebuilding the overall character of our Athletic Department and University as a whole.  Someone who loves UND and believes it's an honor to be there, someone who actually buys a home in Grand Forks.  I get the whole "it starts at the top with the President" mantra, and I agree to a certain extent.  However, I think President Kelley, at this point, is down the list of concerns when compared to our AD right now.  I'm also concerned about our AD and his staff "wearing out" Bubba and his staff with the constant jumping through hoops BS in order to run a successful FCS program.  It's ridiculous.

Having said all of this.  I'm super excited with the direction Bubba and his staff have this program heading and I can't wait to see what they can achieve with their own recruits and system over the years.

• Upvote 3

probably not very good

took a booze class once

they claim alchol pickles your living

making it smaller

GFH, I had given you the benfit of the doubt.  Whereas I have no doubt you aced that course without having to study, the liver  likely develops into a "fatty liver" and gets larger first. With repeated insult from chronic alcohol abuse will develop cirrhosis and scaring leading to a smaller liver.  I didn't think you would be quite that far along yet. Alcohol may pickle "your living" as you say but dont' forget at the levels you are talking about it could very well shrink your "pickle". Be careful and stay thirsty my friend.

Watching the progression of the defense compared to last year has been remarkable. All I can say is that I really, really hope that Schmidt is making more money than any division II head coach in ND. And if he's not right now, he'd better be by next season.