SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4: UND vs. Stony Brook Seawolves

homer

I have no problem with the play calling. The execution needs to be better. That's on the players. If the d hadn't executed last night it wouldn't be the DCs fault. They call the plays and the players execute.

If we didn't execute a certain type of play the first 10 times, what makes us think that calling it another time will end up with a different result?

I'm sure I will get roasted for this but was at the game and didn't think Mollberg was bad. I know the stats say otherwise but I thought he was ok. One incompletion should have been PI, at least 1 was dropped and another he got ht in ribs as he released it and it went way high. A couple of times he threw really early because of pressure. He did have 1 bad throw where he overthrew a receiver that was wide open I qtr 2 I think it was

• Upvote 1

The plays they called and the ones they didn't all depend on executing the same or similar blocking schemes. The difference is where the play falls on the risk/reward curve. They stayed extremely "low risk". When SB has a DT just about taking the hand off half the time on a fast developing dive a longer to develop play is doomed. 

So throw out the whole playbook then?

Maybe use the whole playbook with an eye towards the game situation, what is working, and keeping the defense guessing.  Don't get stuck on one page over and over again when the result is 5 first downs in a game.  Expand if necessary.  

I've harped on the OL. 

I watched on television. Every replay from the end zones showed our DL being crunched together like an accordion whenever the SB OL chose to. It was very noticeable whenever SB went off tackle or outside. 

In a 3-4 with wide splits, I guess I'm very surprised to see all there DL green shirts being bumped into each other, and then put on the ground, by the SB OL. Then again, if the goal is our 3 DL occupy their 5 OL I'd say mission accomplished as our LBs seemed free to roam. 

The plays they called and the ones they didn't all depend on executing the same or similar blocking schemes. The difference is where the play falls on the risk/reward curve. They stayed extremely "low risk". When SB has a DT just about taking the hand off half the time on a fast developing dive a longer to develop play is doomed. 

The only way we could have gotten "lower risk" is if we started quick kicking on 3rd down.  

• Upvote 2

So a tweak in personnel to put a good athlete in a position to make a play. Call it what you want.

More importantly, they have more than 11 guys who can execute effectively a given play. They pick and choose who to put in.

As Ben Henson put out in a recent interview, too often we only have ten guys executing (and that's when the trouble starts). 

So what's up with Patrick Sharp? Not as good as we were expecting him to be? Passed over by a fellow classmate that switched sides of the ball.

Also, whats up with our punt return team? The line doesn't do anything but give the punting teams line a chance to beat them down the field. 

More importantly, they have more than 11 guys who can execute effectively a given play. They pick and choose who to put in.

As Ben Henson put out in a recent interview, too often we only have ten guys executing (and that's when the trouble starts).

Ya, Bison look like a machine they run things so well.

It's called running the clock.

And if we get 5 total first downs next week at Montana State, we'll be "running the clock" so we can get out of town before they hang another 6 on us.

If anyone thinks this team will beat any team that has a pulse with this offense, they are kidding themselves.  Maybe running the old veer option would open up some things?  Crazy.  Yes, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  What do we have to lose after what happened yesterday?

I can't help but think the people saying we were running out the clock once we got the lead are looking thru rose colored glasses.    what about before the 92 yard interception for a touchdown?   Or the week before at MSU?   Or the 7 1/2 quarters we went between touchdowns?   I don't think anyone is arguing with the idea to stay conservative once 10 points ahead.   We are running into a gauntlet of high powered offenses in the coming weeks.   "3 yards and a 4th down punt" is not quite how the saying goes, is it?

If we are admitting we don't have the players to run the said plays we are running....I've got a wild idea...... mix in some other plays that might work, or at the very least attempt to keep the defense honest.

• Upvote 1