SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3: UND @ Missouri St. Bears

homer

Last year Missouri State lost to Iowa by 14, beat SDSU by 14, beat So. Illinois by 10 at S. Illinois, lost by 7 to No. Iowa, and lost to NDSU by 2 scores. I know it is last year, but the vibe I get from those scores is we could be in trouble. I hope I am wrong. I said before , they will not be in the bottom half of the MVFC. It is their home opener in a newly renovated stadium. They will be fired up. We will need Mollberg to play better, we will need a running game, and for a change we might need to get a few breaks too. That sounds like a lot of if's.

i know one play doesn't change a game normally but when jer almost had his head taken off on his first carry again san jose it really gets the other team jacked up and teeing off and so far jer has shown NOTHING

Good point. When you want to establish yourself as a physical football team and smash the football on the ground when on offense, you don't need to be de-cleated on the first play. That absolutely wrecks a team's confidence and feeds energy to the defense.

My outrageous opinion: move Garman to WR and run with actual RB measurable players; that is, Shaugabay, Simmons, and Sharp. If they need another RB, then hand-off some to Dustin Iverson too. Bottom line, UND can't be a physical running team if small, easy-to-tackle ball carriers are always being used.

Having a physical Brady Oliveria joining the team next season is a welcome sight. I'd love to see a physical FBS transfer join the backfield next season, too.

• Upvote 4

Good point. When you want to establish yourself as a physical football team and smash the football on the ground when on offense, you don't need to be de-cleated on the first play. That absolutely wrecks a team's confidence and feeds energy to the defense.

My outrageous opinion: move Garman to WR and run with actual RB measurable players; that is, Shaugabay, Simmons, and Sharp. If they need another RB, then hand-off some to Dustin Iverson too. Bottom line, UND can't be a physical running team if small, easy-to-tackle ball carriers are always being used.

Having a physical Brady Oliveria joining the team next season is a welcome sight. I'd love to see a physical FBS transfer join the backfield next season, too.

But then on the other hand, if i ain't mistaken this is Garman's first start, so maybe Garman can prove to the coaches why they put him at starting RB over Shags. Maybe Bubba knows something we don't. But like i said before if we can run the ball efficiently (100yd rusher and not by Mollberg), and control the TOP UND will win. In Bubba We Trust. 

But then on the other hand, if i ain't mistaken this is Garman's first start, so maybe Garman can prove to the coaches why they put him at starting RB over Shags. Maybe Bubba knows something we don't. But like i said before if we can run the ball efficiently (100yd rusher and not by Mollberg), and control the TOP UND will win. In Bubba We Trust. 

You are mistaken.  Garman has been listed as the starter the previous two games though Simmons ended up with more carries both games.  Hopefully Shaugabuy has enough of an understanding of pass blocking and other responsibilities for the coaches to give him extended time on Saturday.  I'm guessing he does but I can't think of any other reason that the coaching staff hasn't put him out there more.

If he has the tools this isn't that outrageous.  Do some things with him motioning across the formation, sweeps, etc.  Use his speed there instead and try and make the defense honor something different other than playing straight up.  Maybe the hands are the issue.  Kids quick, just can't seem to break that first tackle. 

I also think we need to put our freshmen WR in motion a little more.  The one glaring area where they struggle is getting off the line.  Strength is not there yet and it really disrupts timing.  If we could try and free them up a little it may help.  I really think the contact was one issue in one of the drops by Walker on Saturday is his timing was completely off just trying to get off the jam at the line.

In the end, I have confidence that Rudolph has control of this offense and feels everyone is in position give it the best chance to succeed.  These are just a couple observations based on watching a game online and in person.

Don't gamble much on sports but 5dimes has MSU a 26 point favorite on Saturday...

That seems very steep...I'll take the points there.  I'm thinking this a 20 point win for the MSU.  IMO MSU is probably at 16 +/- point favorite on a neutral field.

As a 26 point underdog this Saturday at MSU, anyone want to take a guess for fun what kind of dog UND would be if they played at NDSU instead?

That seems very steep...I'll take the points there. I'm thinking this a 20 point win for the MSU. IMO MSU is probably at 16 +/- point favorite on a neutral field.

At a 26 point dog this Saturday at MSU, anyone want to take a guess for fun what kind of dog UND would be if they played at NDSU instead?

I would agree it's a bit steep but not by much. I see us losing this game by three scores (around 20 points) like you said. I'm not trying to be a hater, but what I witnessed at the Al last Saturday was just not very good. The only positive change I saw from last year's team was some increased aggressiveness on the defensive side of the ball. Still too many penalties, mistakes (botched snaps/handoffs, etc). I'll give them credit that they didn't give up, but there is still quite a ways to go. This team now has a measuring stick...time to see how much Bubba can coach them up and see what kind of progress is made over the course of the season..

I would agree it's a bit steep but not by much. I see us losing this game by three scores (around 20 points) like you said. I'm not trying to be a hater, but what I witnessed at the Al last Saturday was just not very good. The only positive change I saw from last year's team was some increased aggressiveness on the defensive side of the ball. Still too many penalties, mistakes (botched snaps/handoffs, etc). I'll give them credit that they didn't give up, but there is still quite a ways to go. This team now have a measuring stick...time to see how much Bubba can coach them up and see what kind of progress is made over the course of the season..

Only positive from last game is that a lot of the issues this team has are correctable. Sure the talent isn't quite there yet and Bubba needs to keep recruiting and bringing in talent, but UND can be close to a .500 team if they eliminate most, if not all, turnovers and penalties. Penalties last game cost UND an extra turnover and critical yards in the red zone.

Of course, the running game and rush defense needs to just straight up improve as well; that's where improved talent comes into play…

Only positive from last game is that a lot of the issues this team has are correctable. Sure the talent isn't quite there yet and Bubba needs to keep recruiting and bringing in talent, but UND can be close to a .500 team if they eliminate most, if not all, turnovers and penalties. Penalties last game cost UND an extra turnover and critical yards in the red zone.

Of course, the running game and rush defense needs to just straight up improve as well; that's where improved talent comes into play…

I am going to watch the game Saturday primarily to see if there is noticeable improvement in the running game and rush defense. I am not expecting a win but I will be happy if I can see marked improvement.

might be dumb question but is studsrud officially or unofficially the third string qb?

I'm sure he is thought of that way.    No use moving him up unless his shirt is pulled.   This game with Missouri State will be very telling if Bubba needs look at alternatives to Mollberg.     I'm hoping Mollberg keeps improving, but my gut tells me otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Studsrud is the future. The future is not now. Mollberg is doing well considering the o-line. I would guess our o-line is at the bottom of the conference. This would not be a growing year for Studsrud.

Studsrud will get his opportunity, I'm sure, but that opportunity will/should not be this season. As for Mollberg, he has as many touchdown passes as interceptions (no bad turnover margin) this season and he has not made too many horrible mistakes, thus far. The sample size in Rudolph's offense needs to be much larger before casting blame on Mollberg. Mollberg has the ability to be a good Big Sky Conference quarterback, and plucking him out of the starting lineup before he gets comfortable is one way to ruin a quarterback. Last year, Mussman's musical quarterback chairs was a joke. Bubba and Rudolph should, and likely won't, be doing that. Give Mollberg an opportunity to learn from his mistakes and improve within Rudolph's offense. Although Mollberg hasn't been spectacular, the running game hasn't been great either. UND needs to concentrate on improving the offensive line and running backs before getting too carried away with the quarterback situation. Oh, and the wide receivers are young and inexperienced, also. 

If he has the tools this isn't that outrageous. Do some things with him motioning across the formation, sweeps, etc. Use his speed there instead and try and make the defense honor something different other than playing straight up. Maybe the hands are the issue. Kids quick, just can't seem to break that first tackle.

I also think we need to put our freshmen WR in motion a little more. The one glaring area where they struggle is getting off the line. Strength is not there yet and it really disrupts timing. If we could try and free them up a little it may help. I really think the contact was one issue in one of the drops by Walker on Saturday is his timing was completely off just trying to get off the jam at the line.

In the end, I have confidence that Rudolph has control of this offense and feels everyone is in position give it the best chance to succeed. These are just a couple observations based on watching a game online and in person.

Getting off the line doesn't have a whole lot to do with strength, it's more about technique. If you can deflect the hands of the db then they can't do anything other than hold you.

Getting off the line doesn't have a whole lot to do with strength, it's more about technique. If you can deflect the hands of the db then they can't do anything other than hold you.

Than they lack technique. Either way, putting them in motion will help. Some pass plays we are short a route cause a guy cant get off the line

Obviously, our performance against Robert Morris doesn't really instill a great deal of optimism regarding the outcome of this game against Missouri St.  Having said that, it seems some people view the Bears as some sort of top echelon FCS program, when in fact they've had 4 consecutive losing seasons and only 3 winning seasons in the last 10. 

This is the type of game that I expect North Dakota to win, whether we are up or down

Keeping with the duckies and bunnies segment of this programming I'll then go UND 27-14.     :tinfoilhat: