SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3: UND @ Missouri St. Bears

homer

I am a Bubba fan as well, especially when compared to Muss.  just because we hired a new coach doesn't mean other colleges are going to quit battling us for all of the top recruits.  I agree that knowing the right kinds of kids to fit his football O/D schemes should improve over time.  it is just going to take a LONG time.  in the interim, some success will definably play a factor the type and talent level of the kids we do get.  it seems to me that just by saying that we are going to "ground and pound" and saying we are going to "bring back Bubba's defensive prowess" is somehow going to magically make it happen.  Day by Day......

Mussman was let go on November 18.  Bubba was hired December 24.  One week beyond the required 30 day posting period.

I'm not a fan of the scoreboard thing but Bubba did directly address it at the luncheon a couple weeks ago and how it was being misunderstood.  His said his point with the phrase is that he wants people to be able to watch the team and not know whether they are up 20 or down 20 (or 30 or 40.....) and not that they don't care whether they win or lose, because they do.  He wants the team to give the same effort regardless of what the scoreboard says. The same can definitely not be said of the past few years, the second the team got down, they folded, outside of the USD game in 2011 I guess.

No disagreement from me that if they turn in another performance or two like they did this past weekend, you can come up with all the clichés you want, but people aren't going to show up. The effort thing was just the cherry on top of watching the team getting run out of their own building the past few years, they need to be competitive or the crowds won't show.

Considering the state of UND football at this time I think its better to focus on how the team played. Not the fact that they lost but HOW they lost. Did they play sound fundemental football? Did the have disipline? Penalties--were they major or small stuff. Were they focused for 60 minutes? How was their conditioning? Effort? when the game was lost did they still give 100% and play to the whistle. How did they react to the loss? Everyone loses a game. How well do they rebound? The last question will be answered in how well they practice this week. The coaches and captains have to get a handle on it and keep the players attitude on learning, getting better and effort.

Considering the state of UND football at this time I think its better to focus on how the team played. Not the fact that they lost but HOW they lost. Did they play sound fundemental football? Did the have disipline? Penalties--were they major or small stuff. Were they focused for 60 minutes? How was their conditioning? Effort? when the game was lost did they still give 100% and play to the whistle. How did they react to the loss? Everyone loses a game. How well do they rebound? The last question will be answered in how well they practice this week. The coaches and captains have to get a handle on it and keep the players attitude on learning, getting better and effort.

Dang. I think I agree with this assessment. 

The program is at a point where the goal should be executing, flawlessly, the play in front of it*. That, and that only. 

Start small, at that level, and work on those details.

The bigger stuff will take of itself from there.

Day by day. 

*For example:

- chipshot field goals

- not fielding punts inside your own 10

- not running into a kick receiver 

- correct blocking schema execution on a play

- form tackling

- not looking like the "Keystone Kops" in your backfield on a handoff play

I am a Bubba fan as well, especially when compared to Muss.  just because we hired a new coach doesn't mean other colleges are going to quit battling us for all of the top recruits.  I agree that knowing the right kinds of kids to fit his football O/D schemes should improve over time.  it is just going to take a LONG time.  in the interim, some success will definably play a factor the type and talent level of the kids we do get.  it seems to me that just by saying that we are going to "ground and pound" and saying we are going to "bring back Bubba's defensive prowess" is somehow going to magically make it happen.  Day by Day......

I don't think anything is more demoralizing than getting pounded on the ground and am all in favor of it.  However, at some point you have to adjust to the talent you have.  So far we have tried pounding with a line that gets no push and for the first 2 games a 170 pound running back.  Second and 9, third and 7 gets pretty old, especially with our QB play.  Time to mix things up a bit.  

• Upvote 2

Agree - but last week we saw some of the stupidest penalties and poor punt decisions I have seen in a long time.  I'm sure the staff is working hard to correct this as penatlies have been a problem so far this year.  We can't teach big, but we can teach discipline.  I expect to see some improvent.  

Not like you have an agenda or anything, right? You are the only guy on here that mentions Young in damn near every post. He didn't play with the last staff and hasn't played with this one. Figure it out. :silly:

You are also the first person that I know of to call Rudolph "arrogant". He is a great guy and about as down to earth as anyone. Could he be a stubborn offensive coordinator who wants to do it his way? Like most every other OC, yes.

You are the perfect example of what I talk about when I said there are coaching staff kiss asses out there. Listen, maybe on the occasions I had the chance to interact with Rudolph he was preoccupied or didn't give a !@#$ who I was. You seem to think he's awesome. Regarding Young, yes, I might be biased because I met him early on during his freshman year. Great kid who does everything right and works his ass off. I watch quite a few practices and honestly don't see much difference between receivers. Now, I am no football super expert but I do know quite a bit about the game. I would say the same thing about Bridges. I watch him and don't see any huge differences. And he played last year when the receiving corp was deep. Here's my opinion....the staff recruited these kids and made promises to them about playing as true freshmen. They are the new staffs recruits and they are going to live and die with them. So be it. My new goal is to be as smart as you.
  • Upvote 1

Agree - but last week we saw some of the stupidest penalties and poor punt decisions I have seen in a long time.  I'm sure the staff is working hard to correct this as penatlies have been a problem so far this year.  We can't teach big, but we can teach discipline.  I expect to see some improvent.  

If you cant do the small things right you wont be able to do the big things right. Its an over used cliche but nothing could be more true when starting out from scratch.