SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3: UND @ Missouri St. Bears

homer

UND's next opponent is one that is familiar to the UND coaching staff.  UND will travel to Springfield, MO to take on the Missouri St. Bears of the MVFC at 6:00.

The Bears are currently 1-1, losing last week to the Oklahoma St. Cowboys 40-23.  http://www.missouristatebears.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/090614aaa.html

Hopefully we are healthy for this one.  Missouri St. is a middle of the pack MVFC team but always plays the top of the league very tough, especially when they are at home.  They are a pretty balanced team, averaging about 200 yards a game passing and rushing the ball.  They have a pretty good, dual threat QB that could give us fits. 

What does that mean? They rushed for over 100 yds in both games.

Are you looking at yards per carry?

They as in one RB no, they as in 5 people combined including Mollberg then yes. Running the ball means having a back that rushes for over 100 yards, controls the clock and keeps the defense fresh. ( a good example is what the Dolphins did to the Patriots yesterday)

UND will have to play a solid game to win. 

Need to find a way to get ourselves into 3 and 2 or 3 on offense.  Not a lot of teams win consistently when they are in 3 and longs every possession.  Can't drop passes, can't continually hurt ourselves with penalties.

Force some turnovers on defense and get off the field on 3rd down.  That was very frustrating on Saturday watching how many 3rd downs they converted.  I am hoping Reyes is back.

They as in one RB no, they as in 5 people combined including Mollberg then yes. Running the ball means having a back that rushes for over 100 yards, controls the clock and keeps the defense fresh. ( a good example is what the Dolphins did to the Patriots yesterday)

I don't think it matters if they do it by committee or with a single rusher.

There were only 3 games where they rushed for over 100 yards last year, and one of those was vs Valpo.

To me if they go over 100 yards for the game and average 4 yards per carry it will go a long way towards a win.

I don't think it matters if they do it by committee or with a single rusher.

There were only 3 games where they rushed for over 100 yards last year, and one of those was vs Valpo.

To me if they go over 100 yards for the game and average 4 yards per carry it will go a long way towards a win.

It does matter. If you rush for 100 yards as a team and your QB is getting almost half those yards and you are NOT an option offense you are NOT controlling the clock and running the ball efficiently.

Two keys to the game for UND:

1) turnovers

2) time of possession

Can't have any turnovers on the road in order to win this one. That includes botched snaps and hand-offs. Also, defense needs to take the ball away a couple times.

Increasing time of possession limits Missouri State's offense and benefits UND's running game.

Two keys to the game for UND:

1) turnovers

2) time of possession

Can't have any turnovers on the road in order to win this one. That includes botched snaps and hand-offs. Also, defense needs to take the ball away a couple times.

Increasing time of possession limits Missouri State's offense and benefits UND's running game.

Bingo!!!! We beat RMU by doing the first part....turnovers. UND had 1 RMU had 3. It kept us in the game. UND needs to do that against MSU. And TOP goes with the running game. Have Simmons and or Shags rush for a 100 yards and get the total to about 200 for a team UND will win.

I'm looking at Massey Rating and I'm seeing a Missouri State team Massey has as #7 FCS in his power ranking. (Massey will probably predict this game about 35-14 Bears.) 

This team needs to focus on what it is doing. It needs to improve day by day. After Saturday and what they put on tape, Coach Schweigert has more than enough to get their attention and have them work on. 

Keys, as always, for UND: Assignment sharp defense, ball-control offense, no mistakes (win the turnover battle). 

After watching Saturday, I'm not too confident we have the resources we need on the offensive side of the ball to really put of some points.  The defense is much better than the offense for sure, but not multiple levels better either.  I think we will need some football luck to make it a game in Missouri...My 2 cents.

Missouri State will be in the top half of MVFC.  We will have more than our hands full.   With Simmons apparently not playing this weekend we are really going to have a tough time on offense(after watching our offense last week).  Going on the road with a young offense that doesn't have enough weapons is a recipe for at least a  20 some point loss.   I hope I am wrong but everyone has to hang in there as we build our program.

Some stats to look for:  Through 2 games  (UND vs SJSU, and RMU; MSU vs NWSt, OSU)

Rankings are FCS only

Passing Offense:

#46 MSU 207.0 yds/game

#84 UND 140.5 yds/ game

Rushing Offense:

#39 MSU 189.0 yds/game

#81 UND 115.5 yds/game

Scoring Offense:

#36 MSU 28.5

#92t UND 13.0

Passing Defense:

#54 UND 202.5 yds/game

#95t MSU 296 yds/game

Rushing Defense:

#54t UND 182.0 yds/game

#62t MSU 190.5 yds/game

Scoring Defense:

#47t UND 27.5

#68t MSU 33.5

Turnover Ratio

#12t MSU -1

#43t UND 0

Time of Possession:

#51 MSU 30:00

#95 UND 26:00

Penalties:

#64t MSU 14

#93t UND 18

Once again, tough game. With what almost everybody says here, this will be a coaching game because we have no talent.

Some people measure talent based on size and speed, which, of course, is extremely important. But only a few can see the fight and passion a player has.

Yes the D is undersized at the line, yes our D as whole lacked a little. And yes, Ratelle is playing good ball. But how about the ba!!$ and freakin heart that d had. 3 takeaways, TFL's, blocked FG's, etc. yes RMU rushed for over 200 yards, yes the had more first downs, more passing yards and more TOP. How many 3 and outs did we have and our D held there own; balls and heart got it done. Bent but didn't break. IMO, those attributes are being instilled. Changing the mindset of some of these student athletes. That is where the wining starts.

GOOOO MOTHER F-ING SIOOOUUUXXX!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching the first couple games, this team is playing with more energy and effort than any point in the last couple years.  That is very easy to see from the stands.  Now its the little things to keep getting better, not getting reached or hooked up front and making the proper reads.  Our rush defense doesn't get pushed around, it has just been a step slow and guys are just not getting into position.  That stuff is hopefully corrected as guys get experience.

This will be a game that will be a big test and I'm looking forward to it.  Also, #94 is fun to watch.  Him and #20 definately lead by example and play with a ton of energy that rubs off on these young guys.  We have been missing that for a while.  I'm glad they are both in green.

• Upvote 3