SiouxSports.com Forum

Does the Hockey Team Have a Disruptive Alcohol Culture?

Cratter

I went to college at UND and knew quite a few of the hockey players and no this doesn't happen. Kids got busted before school even started for having some beers. Let's get off our high horses here and just admit it's kids having fun. They will be punished internally and we will move on.

Whether the players like it or not, they are role models for many children in grand forks. They need to be smarter about this stuff and either just not get caught or just quit being stupid and breaking the law.

One again we hear how players for the hockey team are not only drinking, but getting in trouble with the law for it.

I think UND is averaging at least two hockey players per year for umpteen years now getting in trouble with the law because of alcohol. (Or when they are not at least rumored to be hurting themselves physically [toes] because of alcohol).

I guess that alcohol awareness (I can't remember the correct term) course Faison described for the team isn't working? What was the reason that the administration made them take these "counseling sessions" in the first place again?

Not gonna waste my time reading this thread.

Hockey itself has an alcohol culture.  College has an alcohol culture. UND hockey is no different than any other college hockey team.   

COLLEGE ATHLETES DRINK WAY LESS THAN THE AVERAGE STUDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I'd be curious to see the number of MIP/MIC's issued in the 50's, 60's, 70's... compared to today.  For better or for worse things are handled in a different manner.

I know for a 100% fact that if this happened in the mid-90's there would have been no police involvement, and depending on the RA, possibility no write-up. (Whether it was a hockey player or a typical student.)  Again, there was no party, loud noise.. etc., just what appears to be a nosy RA.

If a policy is in place, then is the RA really a "jackbag" for doing what they are supposed to do?  And what are the ramifications for the RA and the school if the RA looks the other way and doesn't report seeing the alcohol?  Especially If a liability situation occurs.

Yes, he should have gone in and told them to dump it all down the sink (or he could have "confiscated" the beer himself  ;)) rather than immediately call the police.  I'm guessing it was also the campus PD rather than the GFPD who were called in.  The campus PD have nothing to do but give out minors (and NOBODY is given a warning... ever), the city police are much more lenient.

They broke a rule/law, the RA did their job.  I think it is good that these kids realize that they aren't untouchable.  Not sure about calling the police, but who knows, maybe the coaching staff put that rule in place to keep these kids in line.  If they are allowed to run wild and have everything swept under the rug, it will bring the program down.  (No I was never an RA)

Another reason to lower the drinking age to 19. 18 is fine but you'll here the standard high school seniors shouldn't be able to drink.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/273540591.html

Or leave it to the states to decide.  Oh wait, we had that 30 years ago until the feds stepped in and threatened to withhold road improvement money.   

• Upvote 1

I guess, after reading the question again, I think the answer is an unequivical no. These matters don't ever seem to slow the team down, whatsoever.

Then what is your theory on looking like world beaters on Friday night and looking like garbage on Saturday night?  It happens way too often to not be tied to something.

Then what is your theory on looking like world beaters on Friday night and looking like garbage on Saturday night?  It happens way too often to not be tied to something.

I don't have a theory, I guess. I just think we play quality opponents every night and it's tough to sweep.

From my observation, working downtown Grand Forks, The Pony Express group of guys partied harder than most and they had no trouble getting sweeps.

I just don't think a lot of our players are getting wasted the night before a game. I just don't. Do some of them drink on Friday night after game one of a series? I'm sure there are some. Do I think it's a correlation to poor play on Saturday night? I don't. 

• Upvote 2

I don't have a theory, I guess. I just think we play quality opponents every night and it's tough to sweep.

From my observation, working downtown Grand Forks, The Pony Express group of guys partied harder than most and they had no trouble getting sweeps.

I just don't think a lot of our players are getting wasted the night before a game. I just don't. Do some of them drink on Friday night after game one of a series? I'm sure there are some. Do I think it's a correlation to poor play on Saturday night? I don't. 

Stop being reasonable on this site. :) I agree with you, college kids drink, but these guys are pretty focused during the season. 

Well it's 16 over in Germany. That's hard to fathom.

If I am not mistaken, when I was in Germany, it wasn't uncommon to run into kids that were 14 and 15-year olds in the bar drinking. Those under 18 had to leave by 2400 hours. 

Well it's 16 over in Germany. That's hard to fathom.

The culture is different in Germany.  Kids are introduced to alcohol at family meals and are taught to consume it responsibly.  In this country, it's treated as a forbidden fruit and thus kids want to drink it because they aren't supposed to.

• Upvote 3