SiouxSports.com Forum

Does the Hockey Team Have a Disruptive Alcohol Culture?

Cratter

Again...thats the plan for the FIRST intermission.......

the diet will be passing on the dippin dots and a refill of the nacho bucket in the second.

Gotta have some room for green mill after the game

I still love the Extreme Nachos on the student side on the upper deck.

• 5 weeks later...

Good to see the Feds spending our money efficiently.....

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/alcohol-enforcement-effort-cites-two-drinking-hockey-game

Undercover officers recently caught two hockey spectators for underage drinking at a UND hockey game as part of a federal grant program to curb underage drinking, according to the Grand Forks County Sheriff's Department.

Sheriff's deputies in plain clothes sought out alcohol violations at a men's hockey game at the Ralph Engelstad Arena Oct. 10, according to a press release from the Sheriff's Department.

In this article it mentioned that they pulled 9 individuals out to talk to them and only 2 were cited with anything. This makes me think they were just picking random people that weren't being obnoxious in the hope they would get to give out a minor. Last year a buddy of mine that is 25 was drinking a beer in between periods and a cop in plain clothes flashed his badge at him and made him stop. He wasn't being disruptive or a problem at all. Just standing there drinking a beer. I think this is bull$%!#. Even if he was underage them catching him helps absolutely no one except for collecting the unofficial tax on college students through minors. 

In this article it mentioned that they pulled 9 individuals out to talk to them and only 2 were cited with anything. This makes me think they were just picking random people that weren't being obnoxious in the hope they would get to give out a minor. Last year a buddy of mine that is 25 was drinking a beer in between periods and a cop in plain clothes flashed his badge at him and made him stop. He wasn't being disruptive or a problem at all. Just standing there drinking a beer. I think this is bull$%!#. Even if he was underage them catching him helps absolutely no one except for collecting the unofficial tax on college students through minors. 

Exactly... maybe this should go under the attendance threads. 

The REA management has to be aware if not complicit in this crap.  Instead of thinking of how to make this a better and exciting atmosphere for students it has become how can we catch a few having a drink.  We need the student energy and this crap needs to stop.  If there is a problem then deal with it.  Until then stop pestering people.  

The REA management has to be aware if not complicit in this crap.  Instead of thinking of how to make this a better and exciting atmosphere for students it has become how can we catch a few having a drink.  We need the student energy and this crap needs to stop.  If there is a problem then deal with it.  Until then stop pestering people.  

I understand the problem of underage drinking and all but for god sakes this is the wrong way to go about this.  UND's administration has been making one bad move after another when it comes to dealing with this problem. 

Completely agree, it's out of hand and it plays a part in the atmosphere being neutered in the arena. 

I want to see Jim Montgomery doing his best Gwoz impression come February!

• Upvote 1