SiouxSports.com Forum

Does the Hockey Team Have a Disruptive Alcohol Culture?

Cratter

It definitely continues today.

Source: Current student

When I lived in the dorms, I was a residence hall president and at an ARH meeting I referred to the parking enforcement people as the Parking Nazi's to the head of the Parking Nazi's. Needless to say, she didn't really appreciate my label for her department. My advisor about fell out of his chair.

When I lived in the dorms, I was a residence hall president and at an ARH meeting I referred to the parking enforcement people as the Parking Nazi's to the head of the Parking Nazi's. Needless to say, she didn't really appreciate my label for her department. My advisor about fell out of his chair.

We had one class where we met at the Art Museum.  The windows looked out at the parking lot...so we all just parked in the half hour parking.  A parking guy was walking in circles waiting for the time to run out on them...so we would go out at 29.5 minutes...drive around the parking lot and park in a different spot....just to mess with him.

In January or February of 1988, with the temp at about -25, my friends and I were playing volleyball inside Hyslop.  One of our group went up for a monster spike and came down hard on his ankle, practically snapping it in two.  He sat on the floor in excruciating pain insisting that we were NOT to call an ambulance.  It was about 5 minutes before closing time, I believe 10:00 pm.  At around 11:00 pm, he's still writhing around on the floor in pain.  The gym attendant said we had to get out ASAP.  I walked across campus to the West/McVey lot and drove my car back to Hyslop, parking it right in front of the place by the "NO PARKING ANYTIME - DELIVERIES ONLY" sign.  Between the time it took me to walk back into the gym and help my friends get Bobby outside into my car (maybe 5 minutes), Parking Enforcement had given me a ticket.  I went to the appeals department and spoke with the head of the Gestapo PE staff and explained the situation.  It was easily 11:45 - midnight and there were zero deliveries going on at that time of night   The place was locked the second our group stepped outside.  I even showed her paperwork from the ER indicating what time we checked in at the hospital.  The hearing officer told me I should have either a) parked about 1/4 mile away in the nearest student lot and gotten the car when Bob was outside Hyslop and ready to go (nevermind his state of shock, bones sticking out of his ankle, and -25 degree weather) or b) called an ambulance.  She offered me zero relief on the ticket - yes, it was only $10 back then, but that wasn't the point.  Absolutely zero common sense...

In January or February of 1988, with the temp at about -25, my friends and I were playing volleyball inside Hyslop.  One of our group went up for a monster spike and came down hard on his ankle, practically snapping it in two.  He sat on the floor in excruciating pain insisting that we were NOT to call an ambulance.  It was about 5 minutes before closing time, I believe 10:00 pm.  At around 11:00 pm, he's still writhing around on the floor in pain.  The gym attendant said we had to get out ASAP.  I walked across campus to the West/McVey lot and drove my car back to Hyslop, parking it right in front of the place by the "NO PARKING ANYTIME - DELIVERIES ONLY" sign.  Between the time it took me to walk back into the gym and help my friends get Bobby outside into my car (maybe 5 minutes), Parking Enforcement had given me a ticket.  I went to the appeals department and spoke with the head of the Gestapo PE staff and explained the situation.  It was easily 11:45 - midnight and there were zero deliveries going on at that time of night   The place was locked the second our group stepped outside.  I even showed her paperwork from the ER indicating what time we checked in at the hospital.  The hearing officer told me I should have either a) parked about 1/4 mile away in the nearest student lot and gotten the car when Bob was outside Hyslop and ready to go (nevermind his state of shock, bones sticking out of his ankle, and -25 degree weather) or b) called an ambulance.  She offered me zero relief on the ticket - yes, it was only $10 back then, but that wasn't the point.  Absolutely zero common sense...

That sounds like the UND Parking Nazis that acted like the Gestapo of the 1930's and 40's. I told the woman at the meeting in question that their ticket writers need to learn a little thing called officer discretion. Apparently, during the 1980's and 1990's that's a difficult concept to grasp. The bad thing is, if you don't pay your ticket fines, you can't graduate or register for class.

I remember my first day of college at UND.  My roommate was a graduate student who had been out of high school for 7 years, had served in the navy, and always had a littel bit of beer in the mini-fridge.

The RA came around the first day to introduce himself, and my roommate offered the RA a beer.  The RA indicated we weren't supposed to have beer, and roommate said it should be fine as long as RA drank it in our suite.  RA politely declined, and mentioned we had probably best keep the beer in our suite too, though.  I thought it was fairly clever how he set expectations and reached a reasonable accomodation on day one, although it might not have worked as well if it wasn't an upper-class coed dorm.

John

• Upvote 1

There was an article in the student paper when I was in school about 2005 showing evidence of the parking nazis actually prewriting tickets for meters. (Giving you a ticket before the meter had expired).

I had this happen once. Started a stopwatch for the time on the meter, and was careful to make it back just in time only to find a ticket on my car and no ticket cop in sight.  I appealed, and they basically said the ticket stands. 

The "people" enforcing parking barely qualified as people at all, as they had no reason or heart.

John

I remember my first day of college at UND.  My roommate was a graduate student who had been out of high school for 7 years, had served in the navy, and always had a littel bit of beer in the mini-fridge.

The RA came around the first day to introduce himself, and my roommate offered the RA a beer.  The RA indicated we weren't supposed to have beer, and roommate said it should be fine as long as RA drank it in our suite.  RA politely declined, and mentioned we had probably best keep the beer in our suite too, though.  I thought it was fairly clever how he set expectations and reached a reasonable accomodation on day one, although it might not have worked as well if it wasn't an upper-class coed dorm.

John

When I lived in Swanson Hall, Sioux7 of Goon's World fame was my roommate and we were coming back to the hall from tail gating with a giant cooler full of beer and other fun beverages. The RHD asked what's in the cooler, Sioux7 replied, "ice and carbonated beverages." We smartly went into our room. They never searched us.