SiouxSports.com Forum

Does the Hockey Team Have a Disruptive Alcohol Culture?

Cratter

The culture is different in Germany. Kids are introduced to alcohol at family meals and are taught to consume it responsibly. In this country, it's treated as a forbidden fruit and thus kids want to drink it because they aren't supposed to.

Really?! The culture is the way it is here, because the drinking age is high. People like you make it more fun to drink underage, because you support drinking laws that are ridiculous.

Really?! The culture is the way it is here, because the drinking age is high. People like you make it more fun to drink underage, because you support drinking laws that are ridiculous.

So what is your solution?  I joked about lowering the age to 14 or 15, but I think some people on here would be all for that.  I could support lowering it to 18 (that is considered the age of adulthood for a lot of things), but that is as far as I would go.  I don't like the police using 95% of their on-duty hours tracking down and busting underage drinkers, but we also shouldn't treat it as just another "rite of passage" or "kids just sowing their wild oats" or whatever other excuses people make for looking the other way.  Lower the age to 18 and then enforce it consistently and judiciously.  I believe that is about the best we can do as a society.

• 3 weeks later...

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason for all those flat Saturday night performances after a big Friday win might be alcohol-related? Is asking that question making this "more than it really is"? I say no.

I just logged in for the very exciting season at hand and this crap is still being flung on this website?!!

They played bad because they drank too much?! Yea ok...OMG!

Kid from our town was in car with 4 other kids first week at UND. All under age. Driver had nothing to drink. 3 had one beer and one had 3 beers. No drinking in car and no booze in car. 11:30 pm block away from dorm, campus pd claims driver came to rolling stop. Claims he smells beer and if they don't take Breathalyzer they will go to jail. 3 showed barely any alcohol and none were anywhere near legal limit. The one who had 3 beers wasn't checked cuz cop said breathalyzer wasn't working right. He nailed them with minor in possession. Cop could have warned them and told them to go home and told driver good choice not to drink.

Campus cops used to use common sense and if you weren't making too much noise or causing trouble and kept your drink out of sight they didn't bother you. Law should be can't drink until you are 18 or 19 with evidence of high school diploma or GED. I bet it would improve hs graduation rates and wouldn't cost taxpayers a penny to do.

Kid from our town was in car with 4 other kids first week at UND. All under age. Driver had nothing to drink. 3 had one beer and one had 3 beers. No drinking in car and no booze in car. 11:30 pm block away from dorm, campus pd claims driver came to rolling stop. Claims he smells beer and if they don't take Breathalyzer they will go to jail. 3 showed barely any alcohol and none were anywhere near legal limit. The one who had 3 beers wasn't checked cuz cop said breathalyzer wasn't working right. He nailed them with minor in possession. Cop could have warned them and told them to go home and told driver good choice not to drink.

Campus cops used to use common sense and if you weren't making too much noise or causing trouble and kept your drink out of sight they didn't bother you. Law should be can't drink until you are 18 or 19 with evidence of high school diploma or GED. I bet it would improve hs graduation rates and wouldn't cost taxpayers a penny to do.

Minor in possession? 

Campus PD's only purpose is to give out minors. They literally do nothing else. Grand forks city PD is much more reasonable.

Campus PD's only purpose is to give out minors. They literally do nothing else. Grand forks city PD is much more reasonable.

This^. From Grand Forks and went to school out of state where cops would sit outside college parties just to make sure no one left party with alcohol or got in a car, didn't bother you otherwise.

I came back to GF for Christmas Break and was leaving my friend's house on campus. One person had a backpack and we were walking across the street leaving his place.  University PD driving, stopped his car in the middle of the street and asked my friend what was in the backpack and basically made him open it, and gave us all minors without breathalyzer.  A few of my friends fought it and the cop didn't show up so they were thrown out. 

Needless to say, it was a shock to me as I'd never dealt with them until that point.

I've been told they got a new car.

Good to hear they're putting the funds to good use.  Heaven forbid they pay off the boondoggle parking garage early, or even worse, not raise parking pass prices $25 per year.  (I realize the $20k for a car is peanuts in the overall budget, but I hate them)

• Upvote 1