SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 SiouxSports bracket challenge

jimdahl

As always, soft launch here to make sure I got it all working right. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Fill out your 2014 NCAA Ice Hockey Bracket

Who will join this illustrious list of winners? Will we get our first ever repeat? Will the Sioux win it all, resulting in a 100-way tie?

2013 FSSD/Brainerd Sioux

2012 mj3und

2011 tho0505

2009 Big A HG

2008 willtippen

2007 seanpc03

2006 teamsioux

2005 mynameiscuomo

2004 paul62/BigGreyAnt41/brew003/UP2SKI

Picked North Dakota, Notre Dame and BC and the Q in the Frozen 4. North Dakota to beat Quinnipiac for the title. And YaneA to write dumb puns no one gets.

At the regionals:

Minnesota to quell Colonials uprising, though I'd love to see the Gophers Holy Crossed in their own backyard

Notre Dame to excommunicate St. Cloud

Notre Dame to eliminate the Brown and Yellow

The Sioux to stab our benefactors, the Badgers, in the back

Ferris to brush away Colgate

The Sioux to give Ferris the rest of the season off

Bobcats to defrock Friars

Union to surmount the Cats

Bobcats to dissolve Union

• Upvote 2

I picked the Sioux, Minnesota, BC, and Providence to get to the frozen four with Minnesota beating BC for the national championship. Feels really dirty to pick that but I went more with my head than my heart. I have picked the Sioux in most previous years and they have always ended up losing so maybe this will work.

Minnesota will win the national championship. You heard it here first. Just like Canada wouldn't get a gold medal in either men's or women's hockey......BU would win Hockey East.....Miami would win the NCHC......And the Green Bay Packers would win the super bowl.

Trying to think who else's season I screwed up by picking good things for them.....

• Upvote 3

I put Notre Dame vs. Boston College in an all-Catholic final.

Wishful thinking led me to put Notre Dame as the champion.

I have the same picks :sad:

I think it's destiny that Lucia the Notre Dame boy faces off against the team he currently coaches. Golden Domers vs. Golden Gophers, with Notre Dame advancing.

Notre Dame - UND - BC - Union in the Frozen Four

Trying to set this bracket up at work, how does the scoring work and what if there is a tie?

Performance scoring (the one that goes into the record books) gives equal credit to each round. So, each game is worth double each game from the previous round.

Ties are surprisingly uncommon (because UND never wins it all). In case of a tie, the glory is shared equally and both names are memorialized in the bracket thread (now and then we have prizes, but I haven't done so yet this year).

Trying to set this bracket up at work, how does the scoring work and what if there is a tie?

In the tourney pick sheet we've been doing for the past 10 years, we use total goals for all 3 Frozen Four Games as the tiebreaker...we use Price is Right rules, closest to the total without going over...it has come down to te tiebreaker several times and this works pretty good.

My annual KRACH analysis:

KRACH predicts the NCAA tournament

This would be an interesting wager if one was prone to that sort of thing:

Minnesota/Boston College/Wisconsin/Quinnipiac vs. the field.

On one side: the #1 seeds from the West, Midwest, and Northeast, plus the #2 seed from the East

On the other side: the other 12 teams in the tournament

KRACH suggests that Minnesota, BC, UW, and Quinnipiac will win the tourney a combined 50.35 percent of the time.

Which side would you take? I would think that wagers on both sides of this equation would be fairly even, considering some big names are still in the field: Union, UMass-Lowell, Denver, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Notre Dame, Ferris State, etc.

Discuss. :)

Dave

In the tourney pick sheet we've been doing for the past 10 years, we use total goals for all 3 Frozen Four Games as the tiebreaker...we use Price is Right rules, closest to the total without going over...it has come down to te tiebreaker several times and this works pretty good.

Sounds good. Maybe I'll add a tie-breaker field next year.