SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Ben is a QB all the way imo. I think if he was 6'4 200 lbs he is a scholarship kid but he is 5'11 180 lbs.  plenty of short QBs in college and the nfl that have had success so a low risk high reward deal for UND.

Good arm, smart and he can run. Only negative is his size. Glad we are giving him a D1 chance.

Also saw the Delbrune twins from Moorhead chose MSUM. Was hoping we could get them as PWO kids or partials.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

Ben is a QB all the way imo. I think if he was 6'4 200 lbs he is a scholarship kid but he is 5'11 180 lbs.  plenty of short QBs in college and the nfl that have had success so a low risk high reward deal for UND.

Good arm, smart and he can run. Only negative is his size. Glad we are giving him a D1 chance.

Also saw the Delbrune twins from Moorhead chose MSUM. Was hoping we could get them as PWO kids or partials.

Every time I saw  Ben play he always stuck out as the best player on the field. I am by no means an expert in breaking down players but that is never a bad thing.

5 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

Very happy he will being playing for und, just very frustrating that their #1 priority in this class wasn't a scholarship qb.  Last year proves you need a quality backup. Und faltered when studs went down.  Bartles is Bartles and heidlebaugh is such an unknown.   Maybe heidlebaugh will make some noise in the spring and summer and makes a push for #1 or #2 !? That would be refreshing to hear.  

On December 20, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Hambone said:

Bolinske is going to attend UND.  Assuming PWO.

I always like the addition of North Dakota kids; with the right coaching and development, they can turn into great contributors (see NDSU football). With that said, I sure hope this is not the only "QB" that UND adds. Bolinske does not have the credentials nor the tape to warrant being a top FCS QB prospect. He is a project player that doesn't positively affect the QB depth at all in terms of next season. UND better add a scholarship QB or else this year's recruiting class will be slightly tarnished. I love the defensive philosophy that Bubba is taking to build UND football, but QB is still a very important position. Other than Studsrud, UND has no capable QBs on the roster as we all witnessed last year. 

• Upvote 1

I watched Minot multiple times this year outside of the championship game and the one thing I really like is their offense is so similar to what our offensive staff wants to run at UND and Bolinske ran/fit it very well.  I'm torn on if we need a scholorship QB with this addition.  From my understanding he was very set on coming to UND and if he is near the top of the QB board and you can get him with little to no money you take advantage of that.  If there is a QB prospect you had higher and we are in the running for him than you bring in two.  I don't know how the QB board looks but the coaches had plenty of opportunities to evaluate Bolinske and his fit for the offense.  

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I always like the addition of North Dakota kids; with the right coaching and development, they can turn into great contributors (see NDSU football). With that said, I sure hope this is not the only "QB" that UND adds. Bolinske does not have the credentials nor the tape to warrant being a top FCS QB prospect. He is a project player that doesn't positively affect the QB depth at all in terms of next season. UND better add a scholarship QB or else this year's recruiting class will be slightly tarnished. I love the defensive philosophy that Bubba is taking to build UND football, but QB is still a very important position. Other than Studsrud, UND has no capable QBs on the roster as we all witnessed last year. 

We have: 2016

1. Studsrud - Jr.

2. Heidlebaugh - RFr.

3. Barltes - Sr.

4. Bolinske (to redshirt)

1. Studsrud - Sr.  (or transfer to Oregon, Ha ha)

2. Heidlebaugh - RSo.

3. Bolinske - RFr.

4. Scholarship QB

Does a team usually have more than 3 eligible QB's and a redshirt at 1 time??

Seems to me this lays out pretty nice assuming Heidlebaugh is seen as starting material.  If he isn't, we'll bring in another QB this year.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

IMO, bringing in a scholarship QB once every 2 years is very risky.  Requires all of them to be successful recruits (guys who stick around, stay healthy, and pan out as good D1 QBs), which just isn't going to happen.

I read your posts, they always make sense...then I look over at your avatar picture lol. Good stuff.

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

IMO, bringing in a scholarship QB once every 2 years is very risky.  Requires all of them to be successful recruits (guys who stick around, stay healthy, and pan out as good D1 QBs), which just isn't going to happen.

This bit NDSU in the ass pretty hard before Jensen took over. Bohl learned his lesson the hard way on that. I hope our coaches can learn that vicariously.

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Couldn't agree more. And while I fully realize this is a much different level, Alabama's QB recruiting should help illustrate the importance of recruiting AT LEAST one potential starting QB every recruiting cycle. From 2006 to 2015, they've successfully recruited 12 HS senior QBs, of which exactly TWO have, thus far, developed into full-time starters - Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron. The other two starting QB's from 2009-15 have either been recruited at a position other than QB (B. Sims) or transferred in (J. Coker). It's a virtual certainty that their 2016 starter is currently on the roster as a QB (my guess is either Bateman or Barnett), so that ratio can safely be bumped up to 3/12 (technically could be 3/13 as they have an incoming 4*, but the chances of him beating out the current QBs is almost assuredly nil). So 25% of Alabama's recruited QBs since 2006 have developed into full-time starters. Thus far the rest haven't panned out and have either become career backups, quit, or transferred out. 

Again, it's a far different level, but I think it illustrates the importance of including at least one QB in every recruiting class who the staff views as a potential legitimate starting QB.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

And we've got another commit.  Fullback Brett Finke from Muskego WI - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2218743/highlights/231509376/v2

I like what I see. He can move. He's got good hands. And best of all he's a tenacious blocker.

Having an athlete at FB is a great asset. They can be used like a Swiss army knife.

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 3:12 PM, geaux_sioux said:

I like what I see. He can move. He's got good hands. And best of all he's a tenacious blocker.

Having an athlete at FB is a great asset. They can be used like a Swiss army knife.

This is a great thread and I appreciate the comments from people who know and understand college football. The Sioux will have a great day in Feb.2016!!

IMHO, I think Bubba knows how to recruit and his sincerity must show!  How many football scholarship  $$$ does UND have compared to others?  When a player accepts a scholarship and then leaves, is that money tied up if it is a multi-year scholarship?  Can that money be put back in the pot for others?  That is my only question about players leaving!  My mother always said, "Money talks."

GO SIOUX!!

13 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Noticed Bubba is following QB Conor Blount from Wisconsin. Could that be the schollie QB we are looking at? Has offers from South Dakota and Indiana State. 

Good chance. One of the few scholarship QBs available between North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.