SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

51 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

611 out of 612 ain't bad. I wonder how UND's players would have fared had they received the same scrutiny. 

Since results aren't public, can you with 100% certainty say there wasn't more than one failed test? Plenty of plausible reasons for a positive test to not be noticed. Hell, the Forum guys barely caught that a starter missed the championship game even though a ton of people knew almost a week before the game.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Since results aren't public, can you with 100% certainty say there wasn't more than one failed test? Plenty of plausible reasons for a positive test to not be noticed. Hell, the Forum guys barely caught that a starter missed the championship game even though a ton of people knew almost a week before the game.

ialto.  But they were ALL OVER the gossip that a UND 4th stringer was going to be ineligible.  

39 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Couldn't you ask the same question for every team in the NCAA?

Since the results aren't public, we could assume a lot of things about any team.

The end result is one guy tested positive and per the rules he has been suspended.

Until evidence suggests otherwise, thinking NDSU has a PED "problem" is simply wishful thinking by some here.

47 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Couldn't you ask the same question for every team in the NCAA?

When those fans start showing up on opposing schools message boards and claiming to have passed "hundreds if not thousands of tests", I'll be sure to ask them as well.

The dirty secret is every school has a much different pass rate on their internal testing than they do with their NCAA tests. However, the consequences are significantly different and when they get to the point of public punishment, they are swept under the "violation of team rules" category with a ton of other stuff. That's why I'm getting some amusement on the commentary related to "only" 1 person getting caught. Yes, one that was made public and caught by the NCAA. Remove those two qualifiers and its a different conversation. And again, the internal thing applies to any school who does the testing, not just NDSU.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

When those fans start showing up on opposing schools message boards and claiming to have passed "hundreds if not thousands of tests", I'll be sure to ask them as well.

The dirty secret is every school has a much different pass rate on their internal testing than they do with their NCAA tests. However, the consequences are significantly different and when they get to the point of public punishment, they are swept under the "violation of team rules" category with a ton of other stuff. That's why I'm getting some amusement on the commentary related to "only" 1 person getting caught. Yes, one that was made public and caught by the NCAA. Remove those two qualifiers and its a different conversation. And again, the internal thing applies to any school who does the testing, not just NDSU.

Fans show up when their school is talked about on rival boards, just the way it is. Start a thread about Montana players and you'll all of a sudden have Montana fans posting.

Your comment begs the question, what point are you making with all of your comments if you've admitted that pretty well every school has violators and only an extremely small percentage of those show up as positive NCAA test?

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Not sure what your point is. If what you're saying is true it's true of everyone including UND.  You're better off not pointing fingers, you may find them pointing back at you.

• 2 months later...

Driving through Albuquerque last Friday, listening to their sports radio talk show... discussion was about the upcoming U of New Mexico money game with Notre Dame. 

Discussion turned to the goal of the season for the Lobos. Was interesting to hear the commentary that if the Lobos lose to Notre Dame and win out the season to finish 11 - 1 (unlikely, since UNM was picked to finish last in the MWC Mountain Division); they would go to the New Mexico Bowl. Then the comment that if the Lobos finish 9 - 3; they will go to the New Mexico Bowl... and if they finish 6 - 6, they will go to the New Mexico Bowl. Sounds like they are locked in for the New Mexico Bowl, as long as they have at least a .500 season. They also made reference to New Mexico State’s game the week before against Alabama and how these money games help athletic department expenses. And how Central Florida has been undefeated for 2 seasons and still didn’t get a chance to play in the FBS playoffs.

Is this the reality that UND wants to reach? To play in the Idaho Potato Bowl or the Doosan Snow Bowl as the pinnacle of the season? Never have an opportunity to play for a national championship?

Then the commentator talked about the apathy of the fans. Said he is a graduate of James Madison and how their fans are engaged and travel well. He said he has previously suggested a G5 split off so UNM can play for a championship, since their program cannot compete with the P5. He said there has been no support for this idea from the listeners, and at least one caller was adamantly against it before I got out of range to keep listening.

The reality is that G5 football is no more appealing than FCS. Having an opportunity to play in a national championship playoff has to be at least as good as playing in some obscure early December bowl game that nobody gets excited about. NDSU has proven that winning at the FCS level generates huge fan enthusiasm and the commentator said the same about James Madison. After all, isn’t local fan support more important, especially when it comes to home game attendance? UND can compete at the FCS level... despite the results a week and a half ago in Fargo, The Hawks can make the playoffs and even win a game or two there. No, they are not at NDSU’s level (yet), but very few in FCS are. History has shown that UND will catch up with them, later if not sooner.

All that said, UND must be ready to make the move if the P5 and G5 do split, especially if there is a championship playoff. Don’t get left behind again.

My final comment is that neither FCS championships (or a hypothetical G5 fb championship) nor D-I hockey championships will bring the notoriety and acclaim that winning a game or two in March Madness would bring. Here’s hoping Coach Sather can raise the BB program to win the Summit and get to March Madness on a regular basis.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

There are Big Sky schools that are spending $'s on athletic facilities improvements, and there are those that are not.

The Big Sky will split along those lines and the lower part will backfill with Dixie St and CWU.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/facilities-playing-part-within-dynamic-of-the-big-sky/article_c4a2647b-d25a-5dd3-a20a-ca01240ac503.html

On 9/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, zonadub said:

Driving through Albuquerque last Friday, listening to their sports radio talk show... discussion was about the upcoming U of New Mexico money game with Notre Dame. 

Discussion turned to the goal of the season for the Lobos. Was interesting to hear the commentary that if the Lobos lose to Notre Dame and win out the season to finish 11 - 1 (unlikely, since UNM was picked to finish last in the MWC Mountain Division); they would go to the New Mexico Bowl. Then the comment that if the Lobos finish 9 - 3; they will go to the New Mexico Bowl... and if they finish 6 - 6, they will go to the New Mexico Bowl. Sounds like they are locked in for the New Mexico Bowl, as long as they have at least a .500 season. They also made reference to New Mexico State’s game the week before against Alabama and how these money games help athletic department expenses. And how Central Florida has been undefeated for 2 seasons and still didn’t get a chance to play in the FBS playoffs.

Is this the reality that UND wants to reach? To play in the Idaho Potato Bowl or the Doosan Snow Bowl as the pinnacle of the season? Never have an opportunity to play for a national championship?

Then the commentator talked about the apathy of the fans. Said he is a graduate of James Madison and how their fans are engaged and travel well. He said he has previously suggested a G5 split off so UNM can play for a championship, since their program cannot compete with the P5. He said there has been no support for this idea from the listeners, and at least one caller was adamantly against it before I got out of range to keep listening.

The reality is that G5 football is no more appealing than FCS. Having an opportunity to play in a national championship playoff has to be at least as good as playing in some obscure early December bowl game that nobody gets excited about. NDSU has proven that winning at the FCS level generates huge fan enthusiasm and the commentator said the same about James Madison. After all, isn’t local fan support more important, especially when it comes to home game attendance? UND can compete at the FCS level... despite the results a week and a half ago in Fargo, The Hawks can make the playoffs and even win a game or two there. No, they are not at NDSU’s level (yet), but very few in FCS are. History has shown that UND will catch up with them, later if not sooner.

All that said, UND must be ready to make the move if the P5 and G5 do split, especially if there is a championship playoff. Don’t get left behind again.

My final comment is that neither FCS championships (or a hypothetical G5 fb championship) nor D-I hockey championships will bring the notoriety and acclaim that winning a game or two in March Madness would bring. Here’s hoping Coach Sather can raise the BB program to win the Summit and get to March Madness on a regular basis.

I know this is an old post and I feel late to post this, but this bolded part.... I agree with 100%

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

On bobcatnation, a poster bas admitted that MSU President Cruzado has given the Big Sky termination notice.  Two years are required for football for no exit fee.  That means a new FCS conference which I talked about here will be forthcoming.

http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46779&start=80

I think you’ve been punk’d...

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I think you’ve been punk’d...

I 'll get the last laugh.

Never seen a more ignorant bunch on conference realignment as they have never experienced it.

But to get this straight, a Bozeman article today says the BSC is bloated and needs to split, but everything is hunkydory and won't change according to cat fans.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, zonadub said:

Boy . . . I'm on the edge of my chair waiting for that Split, cause y'all know that that split thing is coming.    You know, that Split that no one really knows anything about even though they act like they do.   Ya that one, and boy I'm on the edge of chair in anticipation of that ole split thing.  Cause ya know, I don't want to get left behind and stuff.   Ya, I've got my eyes peeled waitin for that split that coming sometime between now and never.   On the edge of my chair man!

58 minutes ago, Herd said:

Boy . . . I'm on the edge of my chair waiting for that Split, cause y'all know that that split thing is coming.    You know, that Split that no one really knows anything about even though they act like they do.   Ya that one, and boy I'm on the edge of chair in anticipation of that ole split thing.  Cause ya know, I don't want to get left behind and stuff.   Ya, I've got my eyes peeled waitin for that split that coming sometime between now and never.   On the edge of my chair man!

Colin Cowherd says EWU is going FBS. He didn’t sat how, but they can’t afford to go it alone, but if it’s a group they can afford it.

The Weber St President said the BSC will split along research / non-research lines.  That’s President speak for FBS/FCS lines

choate has a point with all these large confences where you don't play conference members EVERY year...when UND won the BSC couple years ago one could say we got lucky with our draw?

to solve that how about

FBS is 146 schools 

Five P5 conferences of 18 teams each...split into 2 nine team divisions...so you would have 8 conference games EVERY year and then your conference championship game.

Four G4 conferences of 14 teams each...split into 2 seven team divisions...so you would have 6 conference games EVERY year (plus two other "conference" games....) and then your conference championship game.

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Colin Cowherd says EWU is going FBS. He didn’t sat how, but they can’t afford to go it alone, but if it’s a group they can afford it.

The Weber St President said the BSC will split along research / non-research lines.  That’s President speak for FBS/FCS lines

Oh, now the split is BIg Sky conference split?  Going FBS, is that like going steady?  Ya, I’m on the edge of my chair.   You are a full fledged chameleon, I’m embarrassed for you.

3 hours ago, Herd said:

Oh, now the split is BIg Sky conference split?  Going FBS, is that like going steady?  Ya, I’m on the edge of my chair.   You are a full fledged chameleon, I’m embarrassed for you.

If so embarrassed, don't shop here anymore. To get your FBS move up fix, go to Bozville and slurp of Lakes & that Captain Farmer's FBS BS. Won't be missed here.

Can't remember his message board nickname, thinking that farmer is an uncle to our past WBB/VB player.

More on NC A&T moving to FBS.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/ncat/moving-up-if-a-t-is-serious-about-a-jump/article_827dbab1-2c76-5188-a08b-74d2ebf6946a.html

Think A&T would join the ASun and that whole league would go FBS after they added James Madison, Delaware, Stony Brook, Albany, Jacksonville St, E Kentucky and others.  Kennesaw St would go too, and  UNA, UNF and FGCU want a spot in an FBS league.

A&T only has about 40% of the athletic budget of UND, but posters here think I’m crazy to say UND is going FBS.

Saw Albany just scheduled NDSU and Delaware and Weber St had too.  UND has scheduled Sam Houston St, Lamar, Stony Brook, and Missouri St which are all IMHO going FBS before the CFP contract change.