SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley vs. Wheeler

smokey the cat

The Gophers (Rau in particular) are obvious classless, but that doesn't make me any less embarrassed for my alma mater with Finley and Blood starting fights in the handshake line. Some things you just need to rise above.

yes sir you are right.

I can also play this game Goon, I heard from reliable people ( family members ) that no words were exchanged in the handshake line. It had to do with some smack talking that occurred DURING the game.

So, let me get this right.... We play a heated conference game, smack is talked all game long. Blood and Finley just happen to drag a random Gopher out of the handshake line. Yeah... You have to be kidding me? You can believe what you're shoveling?

I always understood the handshake was just that a handshake and nothing should happen during it. Smack talk or not the handshake is sacred. What Finley and Blood did were uncalled for and yes I'm a huge Sioux fan.

So smack talk is ok in the handshake line but reacting to it is not? Got it...

No wonder so many kids are messed up nowadays! With life lessons like this.

Say what you want honey its ok, they can't hurt you for saying what you want...pffft...

Sitting at the CC hockey banquet at the conclusion of each of the past two seasons, and sitting at a table with 2-3 different CC players at each banquet, I asked them the following question: "So what are your thoughts of DU, Minnesota, UND, etc.?" Basically, I wanted to gauge their thoughts on the other teams in the conference.

The response from all of them was a variation of the following: "Minnesota constantly chirps and talks trash during and after the games...they're a bunch of prima Dona's and behave like it." UND doesn't say anything when you play them...they go out there and attempt to get their 80 hits per game." Skalbeck said this and it cracked me up!

I followed that up by asking, "UND players don't talk trash at all?" And the response was, "nope, they play hard and physical but don't say anything out on the ice."

I'm sure Gopher fans will jump to the conclusion that CC players are all a bunch of disgruntled Minnesota Gopher rejects but considering a good number of their players who express this sentiment are not from Minnesota as well as the fact that CC has had blue chip talent every bit as good as anyone in the country, I didn't take their remarks as sour grapes.

• Upvote 2

So smack talk is ok in the handshake line but reacting to it is not? Got it...

No wonder so many kids are messed up nowadays! With life lessons like this.

Say what you want honey its ok, they can't hurt you for saying what you want...pffft...

that's what it is. Talk. If you can't take a little crap go home. Happens all the time.

So, let me get this right.... We play a heated conference game, smack is talked all game long. Blood and Finley just happen to drag a random Gopher out of the handshake line. Yeah... You have to be kidding me? You can believe what you're shoveling?

Watch the replay again of the handshake, as soon as Blood and Rau shook hands Blood immediately yanked him out of the line. If Rau said something to Blood during the handshake he must be the fasted talker of all time. Like I said before, Blood pulled Rau out of the line because Rau chirped at him During the game. If Blood had a problem with that then settle it DURING the game. We can go back and forth on this all day but unless you or me or anybody else was next to Rau, Blood, Wheeler or Finley in the line we will never know what really happened.

Sitting at the CC hockey banquet at the conclusion of each of the past two seasons, and sitting at a table with 2-3 different CC players at each banquet, I asked them the following question: "So what are your thoughts of DU, Minnesota, UND, etc.?" Basically, I wanted to gauge their thoughts on the other teams in the conference.

The response from all of them was a variation of the following: "Minnesota constantly chirps and talks trash during and after the games...they're a bunch of prima Dona's and behave like it." UND doesn't say anything when you play them...they go out there and attempt to get their 80 hits per game." Skalbeck said this and it cracked me up!

I followed that up by asking, "UND players don't talk trash at all?" And the response was, "nope, they play hard and physical but don't say anything out on the ice."

I'm sure Gopher fans will jump to the conclusion that CC players are all a bunch of disgruntled Minnesota Gopher rejects but considering a good number of their players who express this sentiment are not from Minnesota as well as the fact that CC has had blue chip talent every bit as good as anyone in the country, I didn't take their remarks as sour grapes.

Did these players know you are a UND fan?

I've heard our guys chirping on the ice. Its part of the game.

This so called "sanctity of the handshake line" seems to be made up by fans. As a player, it was never instilled in me that the handshake was something sacred. It is just what you did after the game.

I don't condone it, but it isnt the big deal that others are acting like it is.

Would people have preferred that they wait outside the locker room after the game?

Clearly the Gopher didnt want to fight during the game, which is when it should've been settled.

Pulling a guy out of line is not the same as jumping him and beating him up. It is an attempt to fight fair and square.

Dumb idea to do it, not quite so sacred, all players chirp, in future- fight fair and square during the game

• Upvote 1

....as well as the fact that CC has had blue chip talent every bit as good as anyone in the country, I didn't take their remarks as sour grapes.

The CC team that has gone 36-35-7 the past two years (2-13-3 currently) and were bounced in two games at home by Michigan Tech last year has blue chip talent every bit as good as anyone in the country?

This so called "sanctity of the handshake line" seems to be made up by fans. As a player, it was never instilled in me that the handshake was something sacred. It is just what you did after the game.

The fans pulled the 'A' off Blood's jersey?

The CC team that has gone 36-35-7 the past two years (2-13-3 currently) and were bounced in two games at home by Michigan Tech last year has blue chip talent every bit as good as anyone in the country?

If you don't think recent CC teams have had talented players as good as any in the country, I can't help you.

Because you're clearly not paying attention.

• Upvote 1

It wasn't for violating the sanctity of the handshake line. It was for doing something stupid and not acting like a leader.

Watch the replay again of the handshake, as soon as Blood and Rau shook hands Blood immediately yanked him out of the line. If Rau said something to Blood during the handshake he must be the fasted talker of all time. Like I said before, Blood pulled Rau out of the line because Rau chirped at him During the game. If Blood had a problem with that then settle it DURING the game. We can go back and forth on this all day but unless you or me or anybody else was next to Rau, Blood, Wheeler or Finley in the line we will never know what really happened.

Maybe, just maybe Rau was smarting off when they were one person apart in the line. Rau wouldn't have had to wait until they were touching each other to say something. Hakstol did say that Rau was smarting off in the line but wouldn't elaborate. He also said it didn't excuse what Blood did but that it also violated the sanctity of the handshake line.

Next up....let's rehash the whole scrum between Sioux and Gofers culminating in Sea-piss using the shaft of his stick in an attempt to choke out one of our players...and go!!

And after that we can talk about Tony Chia-pet clubbing Trupp in the head with his stick for no reason.

Honestly I don't think any fan of either of these schools should be throwing the "classless" tag around, both have had their share of ugly incidents against each other...it hasn't been a Chamber of Commerce relationship.