SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley vs. Wheeler

smokey the cat

The only thing the UMtc and Class have in common is that allegedly a few players go to them.

Well I've never seen a Gopher player intentionally start a brawl during the handshake line but I've seen 2 UND players do it fairly recently so you really can't talk about class.

Well I've never seen a Gopher player intentionally start a brawl during the handshake line but I've seen 2 UND players do it fairly recently so you really can't talk about class.

START? This worries me about you, do you really believe their reaction in the hand shake line was the start of it? Come on, even you can't be that naive... Can you?

• Upvote 2

START? This worries me about you, do you really believe their reaction in the hand shake line was the start of it? Come on, even you can't be that naive... Can you?

No I believe Blood and Finley started these fights because of something that transpired during the game. They're a couple of babies who attack players during a handshake line when they're the most vulnerable. You guys complain about Gopher players chirping and then hiding behind the refs and how classless it is but yet you defend your own players for starting fights during a handshake. It does not get any more classless than that with the possible exception of a head coach flipping off a ref from the bench but that would never happen.......oh wait.

No I believe Blood and Finley started these fights because of something that transpired during the game. They're a couple of babies who attack players during a handshake line when they're the most vulnerable. You guys complain about Gopher players chirping and then hiding behind the refs and how classless it is but yet you defend your own players for starting fights during a handshake. It does not get any more classless than that with the possible exception of a head coach flipping off a ref from the bench but that would never happen.......oh wait.

I'm going to turn this around, and will be accused of green glasses, but:

The UMN-TC campus players use the handshake line in the exact manner that they use the ref to hide behind. They are fully aware of the "sanctity" of the handshake line, and spout their mouths, etc during it, more than other programs do. I'm not happy that the UND players did what they did, but I understand it.

• Upvote 4

I'm going to turn this around, and will be accused of green glasses, but:

The UMN-TC campus players use the handshake line in the exact manner that they use the ref to hide behind. They are fully aware of the "sanctity" of the handshake line, and spout their mouths, etc during it, more than other programs do. I'm not happy that the UND players did what they did, but I understand it.

That is a HUGE assumption on your part. How the heck do you possibly know what college hockey teams talk trash during the handshake? You WANT to believe there's a valid reason your players act like pyschos so you can defend their actions.

Wow, you really have no ability to be objective whatsoever. I could understand you thinking Blood was an instigator, but the Sioux just finished a successful weekend in Minneapolis, so who do you think would have had a level of frustration, Finley or Wheeler. Let's be clear, Finley and Blood made poor choices regardless, but I tend to believe they didn't decide to wait to retaliate for something that transpired during the game until the handshake line. Gopher fans always complain about the Sioux taking cheap shots throughout the game, so why would they wait? True, Blood and Finley are no schoolboys, but what about Wheeler and Rau's reputations leads you to believe they wouldn't do such a thing. Let's face it, plenty of people would like a piece of Rau because of his chirping and actions on the ice. But of course Rau wouldn't chirp in the handshake line.

Pot meet kettle.

Forgive me if I choose to believe that people don't just arbitrarily pick someone out of a handshake line and focus on them. Why not take the first guy in the line then. But I guess we should be proud as Sioux fans because your obsession with our program speaks volumes!

That is a HUGE assumption on your part. How the heck do you possibly know what college hockey teams talk trash during the handshake?

It's also a HUGE assumption on your part to think that the conversation went something more like this:

Wheeler: Great game tonight, Joe. I love the Sioux/Gopher rivalry.

Finley: Shut your pie-hole, Blake or I'll shut it for you.

Wheeler: You were outstanding on D tonight. I really have a lot of respect for your team and the job you did out there.

Finley: I'm warning you. Stop running your mouth off.

Wheeler: Best of luck the rest of the season. We'll see you guys again at the Final Five.

...and this is where Finley responds by trying to rip Wheeler's head off.

I'm not buying that version of how events that night unfolded.

Both handshake line brawls were a result of the Gopher hockey player running his mouth both times after the game was over. Gee, I wonder if there is a direct correlation?

Both handshake line brawls were a result of the Gopher hockey player running his mouth both times after the game was over. Gee, I wonder if there is a direct correlation?

Do you have audio of this? I'm sure your reply will be " I know of a guy who was on the ice and heard the Gophers running their mouth". Well, I know a guy also and said no such thing happened.

That is a HUGE assumption on your part. How the heck do you possibly know what college hockey teams talk trash during the handshake? You WANT to believe there's a valid reason your players act like pyschos so you can defend their actions.

Do you really think Wheeler said nothing to Finley before he pulled him from the hand shake line? Do you think he was just an innocent victim? Do you actually believe that he was just smiling and minding his own business and Finley just atracked him for no reason?? Come on.....really?? Hockey players talk smack to each other al the time. To come in here and try to convince us that Wheeler did absolutely nothing to provoke Finley is rediculous.

Do you really think Wheeler said nothing to Finley before he pulled him from the hand shake line? Do you think he was just an innocent victim? Do you actually believe that he was just smiling and minding his own business and Finley just atracked him for no reason?? Come on.....really?? Hockey players talk smack to each other al the time. To come in here and try to convince us that Wheeler did absolutely nothing to provoke Finley is rediculous.

Even if Wheeler did talk trash it still does NOT excuse Finley's actions. Finley could just talk trash back to him.

Hey Goon do you know what happens at EVERY single hockey game ever? Trash talking between the two teams. You know what almost NEVER happens at hockey games unless UND is involved? Attacking a player as he extends his hand in a show of sportsmanship.

This is where UND fans lose the argument. Trash talking, which is common and the norm, does not excuse starting brawls during the handshake.

Hak did reference them running their mouths during handshake line when addressing the Blood incident. He agreed that the line is supposed to be sacred regarding fighting but said it is also supposed to be sacred regarding mouthing off. He wouldn't elaborate beyond that.