SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Olympic Hockey

Ray77

Canada really looked like almost a different team these last couple games than they did in the pool play games. Canada really showed how they can almost completely shut down teams as Sweden got even less going then team USA when they played Canada. I had said before that I thought Sweden really didn't have to face much competition until they saw Finland in the semis and if Rask was available for Finland it probably would have been Finland facing Canada for gold instead of Sweden.

So you mean it's better to finish well than start fast?

Yep...and that Russia and the USA need to start the whole Olympic hockey process from scratch.

I'll start with my own two cents: I mean no disrespect to Jonathan Quick, who played well in every game save for the one yesterday, but how in the world is 2010 national treasure Ryan Miller sitting on the bench for this tournament (yes,I know he played one game)?

FS4L...I don't agree with you often...but when I do, it's with this post.

Canada: "Hardest working team in the tournament. They came together with a purpose."

USA: "We just kinda shut it down."

I disagree. Canada was hands down the most talented team there, and if they played well no one was going to touch them. Guess what, they played well. The U.S. played well in every pool game, and gave Canada a run, but couldn't get it done. It wasn't for lack of effort or heart. I can't judge anyone for their performance in a third place game when they came for first.

Who on Team USA would even have made Team Canada? Maybe Quick or Suter. Kessel might have that kind of talent, but he's not a Team Canada kind of guy, not physical and not a good enough checker. Ditto for Kane.

Canada could send a "B" team that might medal.

Now the women, that's a different story. The better team lost that one.

I disagree. Canada was hands down the most talented team there, and if they played well no one was going to touch them. Guess what, they played well. The U.S. played well in every pool game, and gave Canada a run, but couldn't get it done. It wasn't for lack of effort or heart. I can't judge anyone for their performance in a third place game when they came for first.

Who on Team USA would even have made Team Canada? Maybe Quick or Suter. Kessel might have that kind of talent, but he's not a Team Canada kind of guy, not physical and not a good enough checker. Ditto for Kane.

I agree with this.

Team USA beat the teams we should have beaten - the first four opponents - and scored 25 goals (while allowing only 6).

The Canada game was surprisingly close. Team USA gave them just one goal - less than anyone else in the tournament. Being within one bounce of Canada is not something to be ashamed of.

What they should be ashamed of is mailing it in the Bronze medal game; I can hardly recall a sadder performance from USA (and I've been watching for 30+ years).

As to talent, I think a few more USA players might make Canada's roster (Ryan Miller instead of Smith or Luongo; Ryan Kesler and Zach Parise would be candidates for 3rd and 4th lines; and Carlson might be considered for the 7th-8th defensemen). And Canada left home 4 of the NHL's top 16 scorers (!) So I agree, top to bottom USA simply didn't match up with Canada. Anyone thinking we could win based on talent was deluding themselves. USA needed to outwork Canada AND get a couple bounces.

Overall, thinking back to 1998 when the NHL players came into the games, USA hockey is closing the gap but its a really long and slow process. We are well behind Canada, closing the gap on Sweden and Finland, and I would say we're now ahead of Russia.

What do you disagree with? The first quote was Mike Milbury...the second one was Zach Parise.

I'm sorry, but laying down like a wet dog in the bronze medal game is inexcusable. And that's on Bylsma and Parise.

I highly doubt we ever see NHL players in the Olympics again and I'm alright with that.

I am not so sure about that. The players will have something to say about it. If they want to play in the Olympics bad enough, it will happen. I doubt the US players would have that much pull, but the Canadians will. If enough high talent players opt not to play for a full year so that they can play in the Olympics, the owners will take notice. Especially if it impacts their bottom line. Now that NHL players have had a taste of the Olympics I wouldn't be very sure they are going to pass in the future. Anybody that made $3-5 million a year for several years can afford to take a year off. We will wait and see.

What do you disagree with? The first quote was Mike Milbury...the second one was Zach Parise.

I'm sorry, but laying down like a wet dog in the bronze medal game is inexcusable. And that's on Bylsma and Parise.

It's foolish to think that Parise as a captain has the same influence with this team vs. a team that is together long term. It would be different if they played together all year and over a longer time period.

If we score on one or two of the penalty shots and breakaway the game probably turns out completely differently and Zach is a hero as a leader. Athletics are like that and Kane had a much bigger impact on the penalty shots than Parise had since he was the one that took them.

It's foolish to think that Parise as a captain has the same influence with this team vs. a team that is together long term. It would be different if they played together all year and over a longer time period.

If we score on one or two of the penalty shots and breakaway the game probably turns out completely differently and Zach is a hero as a leader. Athletics are like that and Kane had a much bigger impact on the penalty shots than Parise had since he was the one that took them.

So Canada clears it with Toews before naming Crosby the captain...but Parise has no influence on the American team?

So Canada clears it with Toews before naming Crosby the captain...but Parise has no influence on the American team?

Technically, I think it was Crosby that wanted to clear it with Toews. But I agree about Parise. The most telling quote was him saying that the Finns played like they had something to win. No kidding, buddy. You guys did too. He sounded like Minnesota and the third place game at the Final Five.

Not sure I can follow that logic.

If Parise was captain of the Canadian team they probably would have still won and he would be a hero. Is Parise a different guy from who he was in 2010 when he was an alternate captain and we won the silver?

Not sure I can follow that logic.

If Parise was captain of the Canadian team they probably would have still won and he would be a hero. Is Parise a different guy from who he was in 2010 when he was an alternate captain and we won the silver?

If Phil Kessel wore the "C" and made the comment "Finland played like they had somethin' to win," this place would be demanding that his letter be stripped off his jersey before the team got back to the locker room.

• Upvote 1