SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Olympic Hockey

Ray77

The Canadian Men's 2014 Olympic roster was named today...the USA team was announced after the Winter Classic. As each country begins announcing their Olympic rosters, what are everybody's thoughts, comments, predictions, etc.?

This should be an awesome year of Olympic hockey!

how in the world does luongo make it ahead of corey Crawford?

I thought all of the following were head scratchers:

Hamhuis

Vlasic

Nash

Carter

Kunitz

Marleau

Ahead of these guys:

St. Louis

Seabrook

Boyle

Giroux

Thornton

Couture (depending on his injury status)

Neal

Hamhuis

Vlasic

Nash

Carter

Kunitz

Marleau

Ahead of these guys:

St. Louis

Seabrook

Boyle

Giroux

Thornton

Neal

The major thing in favor of Kunitz is his demonstrated chemistry with others who were guaranteed to make the team. When most of the Olympic teams start practicing together just a few days before their first game, that chemistry becomes much more significant.

And Couture might be a different story if he wasn't injured.

The major thing in favor of Kunitz is his demonstrated chemistry with others who were guaranteed to make the team. When most of the Olympic teams start practicing together just a few days before their first game, that chemistry becomes much more significant.

And Couture might be a different story if he wasn't injured.

Yeah, I get that. The Kunitz pick was questioned in the press conference after the announcement and Yzerman specifically said something to the effect of many will think he made this team because of Crosby, but while Crosby makes him better, he also makes Crosby better and we also think he'd have made it on his own merit (I'm paraphrasing, of course). I question that. I would rather have a James Neal or Claude Giroux over Kunitz, whether Kunitz plays with Crosby or not. And truth be told, I think St. Louis was the biggest snub of all...I still don't get that one.

Now, of course since I say all of this, Kunitz is going to have an excellent Olympics, scoring multiple goals and setting up even more for Crosby and Yzerman is going to look like a genius! You really can't go wrong with any of these guys, I'm not saying Kunitz or any of the others is a horrible pick (well, Hamhuis was a horrible pick, although he won't see the ice over there unless they play Norway) but other than that, Yzerman and his staff had a really tough job choosing 25 guys to go to Sochi.

Hamhuis

Vlasic

Nash

Carter

Kunitz

Marleau

Ahead of these guys:

St. Louis

Seabrook

Boyle

Giroux

Thornton

Neal

On head scratchers for other countries, how about Sweden leaving off Hedman and Brodin on D when their D isn't all that strong and Semin being left off Russia. The Czechs left of some NHL talent forwards as well for a country not all that strong at the forward position. Hopefully it all plays out well for the USA!

Yeah, I get that. The Kunitz pick was questioned in the press conference after the announcement and Yzerman specifically said something to the effect of many will think he made this team because of Crosby, but while Crosby makes him better, he also makes Crosby better and we also think he'd have made it on his own merit (I'm paraphrasing, of course). I question that. I would rather have a James Neal or Claude Giroux over Kunitz, whether Kunitz plays with Crosby or not. And truth be told, I think St. Louis was the biggest snub of all...I still don't get that one.

Now, of course since I say all of this, Kunitz is going to have an excellent Olympics, scoring multiple goals and setting up even more for Crosby and Yzerman is going to look like a genius! You really can't go wrong with any of these guys, I'm not saying Kunitz or any of the others is a horrible pick (well, Hamhuis was a horrible pick, although he won't see the ice over there unless they play Norway) but other than that, Yzerman and his staff had a really tough job choosing 25 guys to go to Sochi.

On the flip-side, if Kunitz is on the team solely due to his chemistry with Crosby and they start struggling, what latitude will the coach have to break up the duo? I suppose one could find plenty of guys to play with Crosby, but would Hockey Canada take a chance on having Kunitz be a liability if he suddenly was on a line with other players? It seems to me that would be somewhat reckess and there's no doubt heads would roll if this were the case. I'll go with the assumption that Kunitz made the team based on his merits and not as a package with Crosby.

Uggh...I feel dirty giving credence to a Penguin! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Cue the carnival music...not quite what I had in mind for predictions, Blackheart and smokey.

I'll offer one up - I think Russia has waited four years for the chance to avenge the thrashing it took at the hands of Canada in Vancouver. And I think they get their revenge.

Cue the carnival music...not quite what I had in mind for predictions, Blackheart and smokey.

I'll offer one up - I think Russia has waited four years for the chance to avenge the thrashing it took at the hands of Canada in Vancouver. And I think they get their revenge.

Yeah but I don't think they get gold. I'm picking Sweden.

---

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

SI picks Sweden to win the gold medal in men's ice hockey...USA in women's.

I would love to see the USA women come up with gold. That being said, unless you're the gopher's women program, it's incredibly difficult to win that many games in a row against a competitive opponent (and arch rival at that). I almost wonder if it would have been better had they lost that last preview game to Canada.

Work is relatively slow today, so I've been perusing around www.nbcolympics.com for good stuff about the games. I decided to look at the list of all athletes, since there's a few biathlon people I know personally since I live in a major training location. Dustin Byflugien is on the list of athletes for men's hockey. I'm assuming this is just a website error? Based on the couple articles about the selection process, I don't even think he would even be considered a roster alternate in lieu of injuries.