SiouxSports.com Forum

Hardee Placed on Leave

UNDColorado

The point the previous poster was making with Hardee's DWI is that it happened in the off-season and therefore there was no obligation for the AD to report it. I realize I'm a heretic for sticking up for NDSU when one of their own assistant coaches, the son of the former long-time head wrestling coach, no less, in a similar incident, did announce the suspension.

UND fans can't have it both ways - they want the hammer put down on NDSU coaches for unpaid parking tickets just because it's NDSU but will defend UND at all costs. Don't believe me? Go re-read some of the Joe Finley/Matt Frattin/TJ Oshie/Danny Kristo 'boys will be boys' threads from years gone by in the hockey forum.

NDSU has similar issues that didn't make it to the media as well as ones that did. Why some and not others? Guess the hometown papers miss some things. Right, wrong or indifferent, every problem doesn't get covered.

You've had 24 hours to think about it now and with all the opinions you are spewing, I'd think you'd have come up with something better than this.

OK, I would have at least done a press release, how's that?! Also, I would have ensured over the following weeks/months that my head WVC did everything by the books in terms of CD eval, following through with recomendations of eval, and getting driving priviledges back before allowing him to drive sponsor cars, vans with players in them, etc, for TWO SEASONS no less!

I'm sick of the lack of suspension, punishment, what have you related to NDSU football, while they drop the hammer on the lesser sports, (e.g. softball, wrestling, baseball). That was where my smack post was going. If this coach had to do with football he would have had to do laps around the Fargodome instead of a unpaid suspension.

I just about spit Mountain Dew all over my computer monitor after reading that. Great comment - made me laugh out loud.

I get what you're saying but would counter that UND treats men's hockey in the same that NDSU treats football.

I just about spit Mountain Dew all over my computer monitor after reading that. Great comment - made me laugh out loud.

I get what you're saying but would counter that UND treats men's hockey in the same that NDSU treats football.

Careful that Dew abuse. ;)

Bret Maughan's incident happened on July 14, 2011. His 5-day suspension was announced on August 25, 2011. That's also off-season. Just sayin'...

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/10241/

Thanks. I didn't know the answer so that is why I asked. CAS is inferring that Faison was way out of line for not calling a press conference or putting out a release when Hardee got his DUI. Looks like Gene Taylor also did neither in the case of the FU wrestling coach, rather he commented on the situation after the media approached him. Take the Herald to task for not uncovering or reporting the DUI, not UND. It is not their job. UND did put out the initial word when Hardee was put on leave on Monday morning and two days later was no longer employed.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I didn't know the answer so that is why I asked. CAS is inferring that Faison was way out of line for not calling a press conference or putting out a release when Hardee got his DUI. Looks like Gene Taylor also did neither in the case of the FU wrestling coach, rather he commented on the situation after the media approached him. Take the Herald to task for not uncovering or reporting the DUI, not UND. It is not their job. UND did put out the initial word when Hardee was put on leave on Monday morning.

I agree with all of those points. It doesn't help when Ashley isn't the coach's real first name - that's an interesting way of masking things, intentional or not.

Pure assumption but I find that very hard to believe.

Oh really?

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/19572447/und-hockey-captains-suspended

A one-game suspension for that?

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008/01/02_oshie.php

And a one-game suspension for a second-offense?

http://news.yahoo.com/10-ndsu-players-plead-guilty-petition-fraud-154005626--spt.html

NDSU's got their own issues too.

I am not sure of the rules but it seems like volleyball players can transfer between D1 programs without sitting out a year. I have seen it a number of times with UM volleyball players both in and out of the program.

Its what I read into as well after a quick google. Some conferences have a 1 year sit out policy for transfers within conference. Not 100% sure if this still is the rules

Since you seem to want to compare, what would be the punishment if a coach at NDSU were to get a DUI? And what if it didn't make the media, would it be a cover-up?

If an NDSU coach had a DUI, and it didn't make it to the media, it would be a . . . "Miracle".

UND, on the other hand, has a different culture. Your admin believes they are smarter than the rest of us, and should be in charge of whether information is public or kept private, instead of disclosure and transparency. If something were to be kept from the media, and it became public, it would be a non-story in gFU because of the support the entitlement mentality by the fans and town. On the other handed it would be a big deal at NDSU, where there is no belief that our admin is entitled. Your admin believes they are entitled to that protection, because they are gFU.

It's called the Faison "out in front of it" culture of entitlement, and aparently this board has mostly bought in. Lots of hypocracy.

Its what I read into as well after a quick google. Some conferences have a 1 year sit out policy for transfers within conference. Not 100% sure if this still is the rules

The bulk of student-athletes who transfer and do not need to sit out do so because they qualify for the one-time transfer exception. To qualify for the one-time transfer exception, a student-athlete must meet all of the following requirements:

• Play a sport other than baseball, basketball, FBS football, or men’s ice hockey;[5]
  • Have never previously transferred from a four-year institution;
  • Be academically eligible at the first institution, assuming the student-athlete had stayed; and
  • Get written notice from the first school that it does not object to the use of the one-time transfer exception.

Long story short...this situation is just a frickin' mess from Faison on down. This is just a huge black eye on the athletic department.

That's my feeling as well. I just hope all the facts are out now so we don't get blindsided by something down the road. Faison absolutely needs to be open on this get all the details public and soon, so we can move on and put it behind us.

If an NDSU coach had a DUI, and it didn't make it to the media, it would be a . . . "Miracle".

UND, on the other hand, has a different culture. Your admin believes they are smarter than the rest of us, and should be in charge of whether information is public or kept private, instead of disclosure and transparency. If something were to be kept from the media, and it became public, it would be a non-story in gFU because of the support the entitlement mentality by the fans and town. On the other handed it would be a big deal at NDSU, where there is no belief that our admin is entitled. Your admin believes they are entitled to that protection, because they are gFU.

It's called the Faison "out in front of it" culture of entitlement, and aparently this board has mostly bought in. Lots of hypocracy.

gFU? When did UND join the Slummit League.

Ndsu has the 15 year old girl "Why is everybody picking on me? I never do anything wrong and still nobody likes me. I'm a great person but nobody else will admit it" mentality.

Ndsu has the 15 year old girl "Why is everybody picking on me? I never do anything wrong and still nobody likes me. I'm a great person but nobody else will admit it" mentality.

While I disagree, and can say I'd rather have that mentality then the elitist "we are better and more important than everyone" mentality that is UND fans.

On the other handed it would be a big deal at NDSU, where there is no belief that our admin is entitled.

This should be nominated as "Stupid comment of the day". If you look up "entitlement" in the dictionary, I believe you will see a picture Chapman and Bresciani arm in arm.
  • Upvote 2

gFU? When did UND join the Slummit League.

I think it was either around 5:05 a.m. last Sunday, sometime in June of 2012 or when you created/joioned in the creation of that superior hockey conference you are now in. How is your team doing this year anyway?!

Long story short...this situation is just a frickin' mess from Faison on down. This is just a huge black eye on the athletic department.

I guess every one is entitled to their opinion and I have mine too. Too say this is a huge black eye on the athletic department is very exaggerated response. It is very possible that Faison made the mistake of trusting what Hardee said(which was a mistake) and that was all there was to it. I don't think Faison is required to release every situation that comes up to the press. It seems like most of the times these are the type of stories(dui) that the media dig up and that is how they become public knowledge. At this point I am certainly not going to condemn Faison for anything. . A mistake was made but it certainly seems like Faison is not afraid to make a tough decision when necessary or warranted.

I guess every one is entitled to their opinion and I have mine too. Too say this is a huge black eye on the athletic department is very exaggerated response. It is very possible that Faison made the mistake of trusting what Hardee said(which was a mistake) and that was all there was to it. I don't think Faison is required to release every situation that comes up to the press. It seems like most of the times these are the type of stories(dui) that the media dig up and that is how they become public knowledge. At this point I am certainly not going to condemn Faison for anything. . A mistake was made but it certainly seems like Faison is not afraid to make a tough decision when necessary or warranted.

This unveristy and it's athletic department should be held to a higher standard from the public and it's fans with what has come out as fact so far in this whole VB ordeal...and Faison is at the top of the athletic department. That's my opinion. The press releases and stories about UND are starting to look like what I read about in the Fargo Forum quite often.