SiouxSports.com Forum

Hardee Placed on Leave

UNDColorado

No kidding. This is pretty bad. Egg all over Faison and UND on this one. I guess it was a lot more than a first time DUI.

Huh? A coach gets a DUI, is reprimanded and told if he has another screw up and he's gone. Coach screws up, put on leave for 3 days before he resigns (which likely came before he was going to be fired). Just curious how you think it should have been handled differently? The only thing I'm not sure on is the driver's license issue, but I don't have enough details to understand what is going on with that. If a rental company gave him keys to a vehicle, obviously they were under the assumption he had a valid license as well and they usually are pretty thorough on checking that.

Huh? A coach gets a DUI, is reprimanded and told if he has another screw up and he's gone. Coach screws up, put on leave for 3 days before he resigns (which likely came before he was going to be fired). Just curious how you think it should have been handled differently? The only thing I'm not sure on is the driver's license issue, but I don't have enough details to understand what is going on with that. If a rental company gave him keys to a vehicle, obviously were under the assumption he had a valid license as well and they usually are pretty thorough on checking that.

FU fans just don't have anything going on to focus on right now other than UND.
  • Upvote 1

Huh? A coach gets a DUI, is reprimanded and told if he has another screw up and he's gone. Coach screws up, put on leave for 3 days before he resigns (which likely came before he was going to be fired). Just curious how you think it should have been handled differently? The only thing I'm not sure on is the driver's license issue, but I don't have enough details to understand what is going on with that. If a rental company gave him keys to a vehicle, obviously were under the assumption he had a valid license as well and they usually are pretty thorough on checking that.

This.

If a rental company gave him keys to a vehicle, obviously were under the assumption he had a valid license as well and they usually are pretty thorough on checking that.

When is the last time you purchased or rented a car? No dealer or rental outfit has access to your state driving record.

Since you seem to want to compare, what would be the punishment if a coach at NDSU were to get a DUI? And what if it didn't make the media, would it be a cover-up?

I would expect at least a written reprimand. Not making the media? Fat chance in Fargo. But not making the media----you tell me how you folks here would look at it if it were NDSU? Gotta play by the same rules---so its going to be slippery slope for you.

When is the last time you purchased or rented a car? No dealer or rental outfit has access to your state driving record.

This spring. All rental company's disclose that they reserve the right to check your driver's license history when you sign the rental agreement. They have access to a database with traffic violations in them. Whether they run it or not every time is up to them.

I would expect at least a written reprimand. Not making the media? Fat chance in Fargo. But not making the media----you tell me how you folks here would look at it if it were NDSU? Gotta play by the same rules---so its going to be slippery slope for you.

There was something put in his file, so I guess there is that, so I'm not sure in the grand scheme of things if there is a huge difference. And I can guarantee you that every incident in Fargo has not made the media. A simple records search can verify that.

First time posting and yes I am what my login says.

What I know.

Two different stories from two different players in car. All agree: coach overslept and team was running 20 minutes late. Other coaches: I have no idea what they did or did not know.

Player 1: Coach was under the influence, hit car in parking lot, drove off and then drove us to airport. SCAREY RIDE ALL THE WAY

Player 2: Coach probably had hangover and overslept; he hit a car in parking lot while we were rushing to get to airport, left the scene, we were all now on heightened alert and all SCARED the entire ride because we were racing to get there

Girls in other vans did not see anything, but a lot of texts flying between the vans. And the stories grew bigger and bigger.

As for me, I think Hardee was a great coach. Lots of garbage though in his past which I was unaware of. I tend to forgive mistakes, as long as it does not involve putting the players or anyone else in danger. He has an excellent family, now being dragged into all of this as well. Hardee made a terrible mistake in Portland when he got into the drivers seat and backed into a car in the parking lot, with five girls in the van, and then took off. WHY did he do that? No idea. You can speculate all you want and make stories up, but overall he made a REALLY bad decision. With his past history, he had to be let go.

As for NINE players leaving, they planned on leaving prior to the tournament. THREE SENIORS, who were leaving anyways, and a possible 6 more players who get limited playing time. I do not know of any future starters planning on leaving at this time, but now with this mess they possibly could. The door is wide open to move without penalty. So let us move forward and find a new coach quickly. The girls we have for 2014 deserve this and can WIN THE BIG SKY CONFERENCE NEXT YEAR AND GO TO THE NCAA!

Thanks for the clarification. Why could the players "leave without penalty"?

"You are fired if this happens again" doesn't mean crap if it's only verbal. I have not seen Hardee's personnel file, nor have you, so can't say what was or wasn't in there.

Why was Hardee's contract not amended after the first incident to include some sort of clause to prevent a second one. Hardee actually did UND a favor by resigning. Had he been outright fired, UND would be stuck paying his buyout.

I'm also pretty sure a 20 minute trip by Hardee to the DMV for a certified copy of his own driving record showing proof of reinstatement of his driver's license would have been acceptable enough for Faison as evidence that the DL had been reinstated by the state of ND. Talk about dropping the ball on that one...

You can fire with cause and not have to honor the contract, and driving drunk with student athletes in the vehicle on a work trip shows cause.

Since you seem to want to compare, what would be the punishment if a coach at NDSU were to get a DUI? And what if it didn't make the media, would it be a cover-up?

An assistant wrestling coach got a DUI a few years ago...he was suspended for five days without pay and was told another DUI and he is done. Oh and it was all over the media as well.

I don't think there was a cover up...the GF media is just inept.

"You are fired if this happens again" doesn't mean crap if it's only verbal. I have not seen Hardee's personnel file, nor have you, so can't say what was or wasn't in there.

How do you know that was the conversation? If it isnt written down it didnt happen. Thats why you document everything in a case like this. Unless----

Kind of an unwritten rule when a coach is let go, girls can back out of NLI if they have one, or leave if they don't, and not be dinged with a year of not playing. RESPECT FOR THE PLAYERS I call it. You still have to notify the AD prior to looking.

Its not up to the coach or the university whether a player gets "dinged". Its the NCAA's call and they will tell them "tough luck". If these girls think they are transferring to another D1 school, they are going to be sitting out a year.

An assistant wrestling coach got a DUI a few years ago...he was suspended for five days without pay and was told another DUI and he is done. Oh and it was all over the media as well.

I don't think there was a cover up...the GF media is just inept.

Not what I was referring to. People make mistakes, the media doesn't report all of them, likely because they don't catch everything. Happens in Grand Forks, happens in Fargo, happens everywhere.

How do you know that was the conversation? If it isnt written down it didnt happen. Thats why you document everything in a case like this. Unless----

If it was put in there that he was verbally reprimanded, then it is there. Conversations like that are usually documented for review and future reference.

This spring. All rental company's disclose that they reserve the right to check your driver's license history when you sign the rental agreement. They have access to a database with traffic violations in them. Whether they run it or not every time is up to them.

I don't believe for a minute that the 20something kid at the counter renting me a car has access to run DMV records from every state in the country, not to mention browse around and check and see what the driving record of his buddies and co-workers look like.

There is no national database tied to your social security number or any other number where your entire driving history can be found.

What I'm gathering from all of these posts is that people want a mole in the UND athletic department that reports any suspicious activity to the Herald.

No, the trolls want a mole to report it to Cowtown. They can then use the info as noise to cover up the illegal activities such as the use of state owned airplanes by their administration for personal use, hundreds of thousands of dollars to 'upgrade' a residence so a private event can be show cased, felonies committed by their athletes, and likely other ongoing misdemeanors/felonies in progress, etc. :whistling:

It sounds like some people want all the details of the situation released. That is fine. When Hinterstocker was released at NDSU did the public find out all the details? When Lynn Dorn had her situation did the public find out everything? It doesn't matter but I was just wondering if all the facts always come out.

All I can say is the butthurt is strong with most of you, as is the hypocrisy!!

And to say the Faison handled ALL of this properly and professionally is laughable. If you ask "how so', I'll just ask you to place this entire scenario at NDSU and ask yourself (while attempting your very best to be true to yourself) what you would think of how things were handled.

Funnny how this all got swept under the rug while most here and all of the media were calling for the head and first child of Travis Beck. It was pretty easy for Faison to attempt to let Hardee's DUI fly under the radar, but he got caught with his pants down later.

• Upvote 2

Seems like a probable scenario. Unfortunate, but glad Faison was going (did) take action. Time to hire someone new and defend the Big Sky Championship.

Sorry, but Faison does not deserve any credit in this whole incident. The AD dropped the ball by not verifying Hardee's word when it came to his license.

Sure does. Resigning shouldn't have even been a choice in this instance, in my humblest of opinions.

True, but I am assuming he left the parking lot, drove to the airport, flew back to Grand Forks....so no field sobriety tests or breathalyzer were administered so I doubt UND would have the proof needed to prove he was "drunk".

My initial guess seems to be pretty accurate. Probably out drinking, gets 4-5 hours of sleep, wakes up late...at best hungover, at worst still drunk---either way still likely impaired and should not be behind the wheel.

I think the same could be said about you.

I don't think I've seen a single person say that Hardee should have kept his job or got his day in court.

How am I butthurt or being hypocritcal--enlighten me please.

As for Hardee being forced to resign, I agree. I am talking about how Faison ... ahem ... handled things with respect to his dealing with Hardee, his DUI, his driving privileges and otherwise. A "verbal" reprimand" with no mention of it to the press or otherwise?!?! Give me a break already. Faison has not missed the chance to call a presser when it may shed positive light on UN_ or to poke fun at NDSU (Thing 2011 Natty banner--how completely unprofessional was that btw?!).