SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

would be bad@$$ to get tracy claeys as a head coach but we would have to offer him salary compared to Hakstols

bring

back

bubba

idea #1 far surpasses #2

problem with Claeys is that Minnesota more than likely will offer him Kill's position when Kill decides his health issues will force him to retire at the end of the season.

Hazelton would probably be a better choice than Schweigert, even though he does not have HC experience.

UND will need to be prepared to pay our assistants more. That was something Lennon worked for when he was here. We will need to pay a head coach over $200,000 with an upside for incentives for attendance, grad rates, GPA, no legal issues, championships, playoff appearance etc. Coordinators will need to get around $100,000. We need to get new practice facility done. Will take right people and a lot of work and dedication by players and the University support folks, but this team can be playoff competitive within 2-3 years if not next year. A good coach will demand a 3-5 year guarantee.

• Upvote 4

This will be the most important decision of Faison's career to date and will also be a reflection of Kelly's presidency. The success of our athletic teams (or lack there of) is an important part of the enrollment numbers for the University as an institution and donations for the University and Alumni Assn. For too many people, athletic teams provide the opportunity to associate with something positive and public that they feel a part of. That is why when college teams are successful enrollments increase and donations go up. I believe that is also why some people get so worked up over their favorite teams.

Sicatoka is correct. This needs to be a national search and we need to hire best possible candidate. IF they have no ties to UND they will develop that relationship. Their are assistants with UND ties who can serve that role.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just gonna throw out a couple regional names for discussion:

Scott Underwood

Aaron Keen

I'm confused about exactly what's going on in Mankato. You will note that Keen is now in his second season as "interim" coach. Obviously this is related to the Hoffner saga, but I haven't been able to find anything regarding the current status of Hoffner. The last thing I could find was that there was supposedly arbitration a couple of months ago, but nothing has apparently been in the media since.

I think some get too hung up on labels. A lot of current dII head coaches are former dI assistants anyway. In terms of current dII head coaches, any FCS program looking for a head coach should take a look at CSU-Pueblo's John Wristen (a former longtime FBS assistant ;) ): http://www.gothunder...es/John_Wristen

I had researched Wristen a few weeks back; I feel he would make a great candidate. He's turned around CSU-Pueblo's program into a DII contender. He beat Northern Colorado this season also (UND's current team did all it could to accomplish that).

I had researched Wristen a few weeks back; I feel he would make a great candidate. He's turned around CSU-Pueblo's program into a DII contender. He beat Northern Colorado this season also (UND's current team did all it could to accomplish that).

I know many UNC fans wanted him the last time that job was open. Apparently he did apply, but pulled his name from consideration soon after. I have no idea whether he'd be open to leaving the state of Colorado, but he'd be a very intriguing candidate IMO if he had any interest.