SiouxSports.com Forum

Worst loss in UND history?

dlsiouxfan

Going for 2 with that lead is just classless. Hopefully UND gets a chance to return the favor in the next couple of years. He looked like an experienced head coach and not some arrogant young kid, you would think he would know better, Did anyone hear his explanation for it after the game?

He went for two because they wouldnt let him go for three.

I gotta say, I am stunned at this. Your AD needs to be asking some pretty tough questions of Muss right now.

Such as how long of an extension in his contract Mussman will take? The Mussman project was a joke from the start and to think he'd translate to a full fledged FCS head coach was a pipe dream. Unfortunately, I just don't see UND making a move like NDSU did in getting Bohl. They're too busy paying a hockey coach who hasn't won a national championship yet.

PS Hockey fans, I support Hakstol as coach, just trying to get my point across. We got this highly paid hockey coach and then we got Mussman...

One game does not define a season or a program. Just remember that. NDSU was 3-8 in '09 but lost a lot of close games. Bohl and esp Vigen were not the most popular guys.

Is Muss the guy to lead the program to the top of the BSC? We'll see.

I'm just really surprised that UND is not a good defensive team. That was their bread and butter in their heyday of D2. I was at the North Alabama playoff game and the Alerus was dang near as loud as the FD for that game. The atmosphere needs to get back to that. Can Muss do this?

Muss better get his sh** together cus the faithful FB fans at UND will not accept a crappy product on the field and poor performances. I know I wouldn't as a Bison fan.

Great time for a bye week. Recharge and get ready to beat a beatable Montana State team.

One game does not define a season or a program. Just remember that. NDSU was 3-8 in '09 but lost a lot of close games. Bohl and esp Vigen were not the most popular guys.

Is Muss the guy to lead the program to the top of the BSC? We'll see.

I'm just really surprised that UND is not a good defensive team. That was their bread and butter in their heyday of D2. I was at the North Alabama playoff game and the Alerus was dang near as loud as the FD for that game. The atmosphere needs to get back to that. Can Muss do this?

Muss better get his sh** together cus the faithful FB fans at UND will not accept a crappy product on the field and poor performances. I know I wouldn't as a Bison fan.

Great time for a bye week. Recharge and get ready to beat a beatable Montana State team.

One good thing about this buy week is that the wound can fester even longer. This game needs to be in the back of their minds for the rest of the season as a motivating and unifying factor. If they try and move on like it never happened they won't improve enough.

One good thing about this buy week is that the wound can fester even longer. This game needs to be in the back of their minds for the rest of the season as a motivating and unifying factor. If they try and move on like it never happened they won't improve enough.

Watching film the coaches can see this is where we made the mistakes and now we can correct them. After reading the thread on here about the defense IMO, it is not the scheme it is players not making plays or in the wrong position. The 3-4 is a good defensive scheme but players still need to do their job and make plays. But you have to give credit where credit is deserved: Montana has some very good players and they made plays.

I know we've had far too many games like this but I have to say this is probably the worst loss in school history. I wasn't old enough to remember the 50 point drubbing of UND by NDSU but that might be the only game that's comparable to this. I keep thinking this program has hit rock bottom and is on it's way back up but at this point I don't really know.

Home or Away last few years (dont say Idaho is FBS lets be serious and realistic for those losses also). I am changing my view Mussman must go as of yesterday.

2013-14

Sat, Sep 14 Montana Grand Forks, N.D. 6:00 p.m. 17 - 55 (L)

2012-13

Sat, Oct 06 Eastern Washington * at Cheney, Wash. 17 - 55 (L)

Sat, Oct 27 Montana State * at Bozeman, Mont. 10 - 55

2011-12

Sat, Sep 10 Idaho - - at Moscow, Idaho 14 - 44 (L)

2010-11

Thu, Sep 02 at Idaho - at Moscow, Idaho 0 - 45 (L)

2009-10

Sat, Sep 26 Stephen F. Austin 12 at Nacogdoches, Texas 31 - 65 (L)

Home or Away last few years (dont say Idaho is FBS lets be serious and realistic for those losses also). I am changing my view Mussman must go as of yesterday.

2013-14

Sat, Sep 14 Montana Grand Forks, N.D. 6:00 p.m. 17 - 55 (L)

2012-13

Sat, Oct 06 Eastern Washington * at Cheney, Wash. 17 - 55 (L)

Sat, Oct 27 Montana State * at Bozeman, Mont. 10 - 55

2011-12

Sat, Sep 10 Idaho - - at Moscow, Idaho 14 - 44 (L)

2010-11

Thu, Sep 02 at Idaho - at Moscow, Idaho 0 - 45 (L)

2009-10

Sat, Sep 26 Stephen F. Austin 12 at Nacogdoches, Texas 31 - 65 (L)

A clear pattern emerges.

I'm not arguing who is better, I just find it funny that they are so insecure that they have to come here and bash Montana after this game which had absolutely nothing to do with their team or conference, and then accuse others of not having any class.

Jan Brady State University syndrome in Fargo.

You mean last year's 5-6 program that's afraid to go on the road to play an FBS game? I'm going to take a wait and see on that. I'm sure you'll run into Sam Houston at some point this year. You are 1-1 the past two years with UND, so I'm not sure you should be demanding respect on this board.

So, I have two responses. First, last years program was without its starting QB, and we were breaking in a new O coordinator and D coordinator. It was a tumultuous offseason which preceded that 5-6 mark, which by the way was just one year removed from a semi-final appearance in which we narrowly lost to SHSU. Second, that game that you say we backed out of with NDSU was Montana State, not UM. We have a home-n-home series scheduled with them the next two seasons. So please, understand that last year was not the norm, but an abberation, and please get your facts straight in regard to the scheduling you were referring. Thanks

So, I have two responses. First, last years program was without its starting QB, and we were breaking in a new O coordinator and D coordinator. It was a tumultuous offseason which preceded that 5-6 mark, which by the way was just one year removed from a semi-final appearance in which we narrowly lost to SHSU. Second, that game that you say we backed out of with NDSU was Montana State, not UM. We have a home-n-home series scheduled with them the next two seasons. So please, understand that last year was not the norm, but an abberation, and please get your facts straight in regard to the scheduling you were referring. Thanks

Haha, that's cute you think bison fans understand "facts." Welcome to siouxsports, where bison fans come to defend themselves even when nobody mentions them.

• Upvote 1

Want to play at the top of the BSC? You gotta pay.

Buy out Muss's contract. Hire a real coach.

Or continue sucking.

UND needs to get serious about this transition. The indoor training facility is a big step in the right direction. Now, we need people at the helm that know what the Hell they are doing..

• Upvote 2

I know we've had far too many games like this but I have to say this is probably the worst loss in school history. I wasn't old enough to remember the 50 point drubbing of UND by NDSU but that might be the only game that's comparable to this. I keep thinking this program has hit rock bottom and is on it's way back up but at this point I don't really know.

In 1969 NDSU defeated UND 64-14 at old Dacotah Field. However, a scarce two years later in the rain and mud (also at Dacotah Field), UND snapped a number of long streaks (including unbeaten and untied streaks for NDSU, conference and otherwise) to gain a measure of revenge with a 23-7 Sioux victory. To be fair about it, NDSU was playing without its injured first-string quarterback which undoubtedly played a role in its defeat. UND went on to capture the North Central Conference championship that year. So, don't lose hope, Sioux fans. Here's another one: Back in 1972 or so, Missouri was coming off a 62-0 blasting by highly-ranked Nebraska. It's next opponent was Notre Dame. What happened? Mizzou upset Notre Dame 30-26 in a game regarded by many as the greatest comeback win in Missouri football history. It was certainly a dramatic turnaround..

In 1969 NDSU defeated UND 64-14 at old Dacotah Field. However, a scarce two years later in the rain and mud (also at Dacotah Field), UND snapped a number of long streaks (including unbeaten and untied streaks for NDSU, conference and otherwise) to gain a measure of revenge with a 23-7 Sioux victory. To be fair about it, NDSU was playing without its injured first-string quarterback which undoubtedly played a role in its defeat. UND went on to capture the North Central Conference championship that year. So, don't lose hope, Sioux fans. Here's another one: Back in 1972 or so, Missouri was coming off a 62-0 blasting by highly-ranked Nebraska. It's next opponent was Notre Dame. What happened? Mizzou upset Notre Dame 30-26 in a game regarded by many as the greatest comeback win in Missouri football history. It was certainly a dramatic turnaround..

Do you think those head coaches are still available or still alive for that matter?

Geez....never even realized they ever played each other.

Bear Bryant and Kentucky head basketball coach Adolph Rupp happened to be at Kentucky at the same time along about 1950 or so. It appears that there wasn't enough room on campus for both Rupp and Bryant, so Bryant wound up going elsewhere. Wonder what might have happened to Kentucky football had Bryant stayed.

Do you think those head coaches are still available or still alive for that matter?

While I sense in a way that you just might be pulling my leg, Jerry Olson was head coach for UND in the 1971 upset of NDSU. Meanwhile, Al Onofrio (who died in 2004, I believe) was the head coach at Mizzou in the 1972 upset of Notre Dame at South Bend. Onofrio's predecessor at Mizzou, Dan Devine, a Wisconsin native, grew up along Minnesota's North Shore and is a graduate of the University of Minnesota-Duluth and is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.. Devine coached the 1960 Missouri eleven almost to a national championship. Mizzou's sole loss that year was to Kansas. However, Kansas used some ineligible players in that regular season finale and had to forfeit the game. After the forfeit Mizzou wound up with a perfect season after defeating Navy in the Orange Bowl. The 1960 national champion turned out to be the Minnesota Gophers, who lost only to Purdue 23-14 in the regular season and to Washington 17-7 in the 1961 Rose Bowl. At that time the pollsters determined the nationa champion before the bowl games; hence, the Gophers won the national championship with two losses.

• 2 weeks later...

I could see us giving up 70+ at home vs. Eastern Washington. At Homecoming. In front of a bunch of alumni (including football alumni). And other prominent supporters of UND athletics and the institution itself.

If that isn't the final nail in Mussman's UND coaching coffin, I don't know what will be.