SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU at UND

homer

Jackson did well running the ball. Showed what's possible when the ball is in the hands of someone who weighs more than 165lbs soaking wet anyway.

exactly...Miller couldnt break my tackle and I've been told I hit like a girl!

The refs sucked tonight. They missed calls for both teams. That first down pass that skipped to the WR, really? The missed delay of game before the very soft (albeit boneheaded) late hit out of bounds. The missed unnecessary roughness against UND on a punt coverage. And when they did call something they sounded befuddled by what they were attempting to say.

Players who didn't start but should have:

Mike 'Big Snacks' Edwards

When he was at NT the run defense actually made some plays. At times he took a double team 5 yards into the backfield. He needs to start. No offense to Henson but he just isn't a D1 athlete. He may know what he's doing back he isn't physically capable of doing it. Mike is.

Joe Mollberg

Need I say more?

Derrick Goard

He killed Zenner on a blitz. The poor guy landed on his numbers after Goard blew him up. Goard also sliced threw the line like his hair was on fire to stuff Zenner a couple times. He made a difference when he was in there and needs to play more.

Also Meindel had a bad first punt and responded with an absolute bomb. He will be a good one for sure.

When Edwards was playing NG Hensen moved to DE. There will be some new numbers in the starting line up next week.

One thing that needs to be addressed in recruiting is getting some size up front on defense. We are going to struggle against the run all season just because we don't have enough size and strength up front.

One positive tonight is that the team didn't fold after falling behind 21 points. Last year, they might have.

Looking forward to next week vs. Montana. It's been a long time since we have had really big, meaningful games to look forward to.

One thing that needs to be addressed in recruiting is getting some size up front on defense. We are going to struggle against the run all season just because we don't have enough size and strength up front.

One positive tonight is that the team didn't fold after falling behind 21 points. Last year, they might have.

Looking forward to next week vs. Montana. It's been a long time since we have had really big, meaningful games to look forward to.

You mean other than this week

I know we lossed, but don't you all think we will get some credit from the polls?

Honestly, I don't care about the polls at all. Those are subjective at best anyway. I am more interested in winning some of these big games we have coming up. Montana is up next. Time to start winning these games. Cut out the turnovers and I think we can.

seriously? we have two freshman QBs who are going to make mistakes. you are going to judge our season based on how our first two real games go?

Lose to Montana next week then have Montana State coming to town who I believe just beat SMU and then have Easrn Washington??? 2-4 isn't what most fans were looking for to start the season

As muss talked about in camp, their arms don't really set one apart from the other.

To me Joe just seems to move with more purpose and coincidence. He was even barking at the guys in the huddle.

They both made some bad decisions tonight, but they are freshman. It will take a while.

I know we lossed, but don't you all think we will get some credit from the polls?

No. They'll say we scored all our points in garbage time and never really had a chance. Polls after week two don't matter anyway. We need to actually beat a good team and earn a spot in my opinion. No more moral wins

The penalties need to be cleaned up. A few were total BS but still. The pass D was ok tonight. Darrel messed up once that I saw. Goodman was in a tough spot on the TD but was in very good position and almost broke it up. They dropped a few easy ones but they certainly weren't wide open like in the past. If the D can play like they did down the stretch they may start making plays like they used to.

As for the size up front. Spencer Cummings is 6'4 280lbs. That a huge DE. Did he make any plays? No. Having the size is nice but I'd rather have a player who is not as big but isn't soft and plays nasty.

For what??? Losing!! Thats all you want is a little credit from the polls? How is that going to help the team, do they all huddle up on Tuesdays and say hey look we got 4 votes in the poll, there we are listed in the paragraph below the poll with the rest of the teams that don't matter. The team got beat down for three quarters until SDSU started working on some things and to get some reps, and UND got some scores late. Thats the facts, the defense, quarterback play as of right now, and running game are not top 50, luckily there won't be any playoffs so these pink elephants in the room will not be exposed to any more opposing teams or fanbases than absolutely necessary.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fcs/2013/09/07/south-dakota-st-north-dakota#recap

Interesting looking at the box score.

What I took away from the game. Kenny Golladay was one step away from tying the game on the punt return.

Jameer Jackson is a better running back than Miller. Miller is a much better dancer. Point being. How many rushing yards did Zenner make after initially contact. Many more rushing yards than that UND did all night.

I was really impressed with the fight and hard play to get back into the game.

I'm not sure on QB yet. I think would have completed many more passes if not for dropped balls. Jitters in the beginning of the game cause that. However Ryan passes were spot on for the most part at least first half. Not so much for Joe. Also he doesn't look off the receivers. SDSU was in prevent and gave a lot underneath for Joe. He is gutsy and looked better as the game went on. I think we have two good QBs in the making.

I want to watch the recorded version to see how is plays after a nights sleep.

Edwards is a beast.

For what??? Losing!! Thats all you want is a little credit from the polls? How is that going to help the team, do they all huddle up on Tuesdays and say hey look we got 4 votes in the poll, there we are listed in the paragraph below the poll with the rest of the teams that don't matter. The team got beat down for three quarters until SDSU started working on some things and to get some reps, and UND got sometimes scores late. Thats the facts, the defense, quarterback play as of right now, and running game are not top 50, luckily there won't be any playoffs so these pink elephants in the room will not be exposed to any more opposing teams or fanbases than absolutely necessary.

Go back to bisonville

The penalties need to be cleaned up. A few were total BS but still. The pass D was ok tonight. Darrel messed up once that I saw. Goodman was in a tough spot on the TD but was in very good position and almost broke it up. They dropped a few easy ones but they certainly weren't wide open like in the past. If the D can play like they did down the stretch they may start making plays like they used to.

As for the size up front. Spencer Cummings is 6'4 280lbs. That a huge DE. Did he make any plays? No. Having the size is nice but I'd rather have a player who is not as big but isn't soft and plays nasty.

Whatever improves the defense is fine with me. I am getting sick and tired of every cornerstone RB we play against racking up huge yardage. It doesn't matter what team it is (in conference or out), if their RB is the cornerstone of their offense, he'll rack up huge yardage against us. This program used to be known for stopping the run and containing (and sometimes even SHUTTING DOWN) feature RBs. The BSC has some good RBs and I am not looking forward to watching us give up huge chunks of yardage to each and every one of them and having to listen to "Milquetoast" Mike Berg cheerlead their every exploit. Tonight, I wasn't sure if I had the UND football network or the Jackrabbit football network on my portable radio.

If we can solve this, it will go a long way towards getting this program to where we all want it.

I'm still befuddled as to why the SDSU coaching staff went away from Zenner in the fourth quarter. At the beginning of the quarter after his TD he needed only 14 yards to tie his record and thats all he had the rest of the game. Had SDSU managed to let this one slip through their fingers the head man would have had to answer some tough game management questions.

It's not uncommon for our coach to get a good lead and then take his foot off the gas. It's the play not to lose theory. Really maddening.

Anyway,that was an entertaining game. UND has a couple good young quarterbacks that are only going to get better. Hardin is the real deal. Even though he was burning us he was a lot of fun to watch. Good luck to your team the rest of the year. I think your going to win a lot of games.

The refs sucked tonight. They missed calls for both teams. That first down pass that skipped to the WR, really? The missed delay of game before the very soft (albeit boneheaded) late hit out of bounds. The missed unnecessary roughness against UND on a punt coverage. And when they did call something they sounded befuddled by what they were attempting to say.

Players who didn't start but should have:

Mike 'Big Snacks' Edwards

When he was at NT the run defense actually made some plays. At times he took a double team 5 yards into the backfield. He needs to start. No offense to Henson but he just isn't a D1 athlete. He may know what he's doing back he isn't physically capable of doing it. Mike is.

Joe Mollberg

Need I say more?

Derrick Goard

He killed Zenner on a blitz. The poor guy landed on his numbers after Goard blew him up. Goard also sliced threw the line like his hair was on fire to stuff Zenner a couple times. He made a difference when he was in there and needs to play more.

Also Meindel had a bad first punt and responded with an absolute bomb. He will be a good one for sure.

exactly!!!! this game was given away needlessly bc certain guys that should be playing from the start aren't....mollberg, edwards, goard, maybe kuska

exactly!!!! this game was given away needlessly bc certain guys that should be playing from the start aren't....mollberg, edwards, goard, maybe kuska

Unfortunately it's not just on the coaches. The players I mentioned should start but do we know that they have the playbook down like the starters? There's always that unseen preparation that goes into earning the start. I hope some changes are made based on how guys played tonight though. Some people really proved themselves valuable.

O and play Shaugabay for Christs sake.

I think there is hope for the defense. they looked very good at times tonight and hopefully this game will help the coaches get the right personnel in the right positions. I am less optimistic about our run game. Miller is good when he can find holes and read blocks, but I don't know that our Oline is going to be able to do that for him, and this isn't the type of thing that changes over night. The Jacks do have a good Dline, so lets hope I am off base.

Whatever improves the defense is fine with me. I am getting sick and tired of every cornerstone RB we play against racking up huge yardage. It doesn't matter what team it is (in conference or out), if their RB is the cornerstone of their offense, he'll rack up huge yardage against us. This program used to be known for stopping the run and containing (and sometimes even SHUTTING DOWN) feature RBs. The BSC has some good RBs and I am not looking forward to watching us give up huge chunks of yardage to each and every one of them and having to listen to "Milquetoast" Mike Berg cheerlead their every exploit. Tonight, I wasn't sure if I had the UND football network or the Jackrabbit football network on my portable radio.

If we can solve this, it will go a long way towards getting this program to where we all want it.

Kudos for listening.