SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU at UND

homer

Defense didn't relax. Long pass to Hardin had defender with him and TD to Hardin was also decent coverage. Receiver and QB made great throw and catch. Defensive pressure on QB still there, Mollberg did better job of avoiding it. I dont think any coach would go into prevent when opposition has ball down by 21 in mid third quarter. SDSU didn't.

I agree with this. If you go back and watch the game the SDSU corners were still at times pressing our WRs in the 3rd quarter, they were still blitzing LBs and their safety's were still playing at their regular depth. Not once did they back off their DBs and start running some umbrella defense. The same routes were there that were there in the 1st and 2nd quarters, the throws got there and we didn't bail them out by dropping some easy ones like we did in the 1st half. We were playing with a sense of urgency and our offense was running at a quicker pace.

If I had more confidence in our defense a faster pace offense may be better suited for our talents. Unfortunately, I don't trust our defense would get off the field if we had a couple quick 3 and outs.

College FB is different than the NFL is terms of having a plan for success IMO.

In college you need to have a stout D especially vs the run, you have to run the ball with some decent success and you have to be disciplined in avoiding dumba** penalties and TOs. None of this has been part of the plan in Muss's tenure.

Just to keep things grounded. The 2011 team was one of the least penalized teams in the nation and had an outstanding run defense and few turnovers. We also couldn't throw that year and ran a million times into 9 man fronts. I'm just saying that was also a Mussman team. I know you don't like him but the facts are facts.

You can come up with all the reasons in the world of what happened or didnt happen. Fact is you cant throw on third down only and be conservative when leading. If the coaches at state had any guts to keep the pedal down you would have been blown out! Instead we let you back in. Not because of our pass game but becasue we stopped doing what we should have. Again throw only on third down and see how far that gets you, maybe throw on first or second with a play-action pass.

Nobody let us back in the game. We made plays late and you guys didn't until the pick. It only appeared that your coaches were being conservative because our defense was stopping you guys and our offense was shredding your secondary even though they knew we had to pass every time.

a really really small thing that stood out after rewatching the game was a tackle that kuksa made on a kickoff late in the game....he was able to get downfield quickly, break away from the guy blocking him, and make a perfect form tackle. and he made it look easy

peters and otto need to sit and goard and or labatt or even hickel need to play more....i think it was peters that totally whiffed on the first attempt at zach on the screen play from hell

and i don't think zenner was the same after goard introduced himself to zach in the backfield....

a really really small thing that stood out after rewatching the game was a tackle that kuksa made on a kickoff late in the game....he was able to get downfield quickly, break away from the guy blocking him, and make a perfect form tackle. and he made it look easy

peters and otto need to sit and goard and or labatt or even hickel need to play more....i think it was peters that totally whiffed on the first attempt at zach on the screen play from hell

I was impressed by the way Goard was able to come in and step up. Hopefully he makes that a habit.

I'm thinking/hoping there were some growing pains with some of the young guys and learning the playbook. Starting to look like they may have to let them loose and hope they know enough. Seems like there is too much talent on the sidelines and not getting enough playing time.

Seems like there is too much talent on the sidelines and not getting enough playing time.

I agree, but we also have no idea how well they understand the defense or offense. They are more talented but are they going to be able to use it yet? Edwards is an example of hell yes he can use it and should be starting. Hopefully the guys we're hoping for are giving themselves the opportunity in the film room and not just on ability.

Just to keep things grounded. The 2011 team was one of the least penalized teams in the nation and had an outstanding run defense and few turnovers. We also couldn't throw that year and ran a million times into 9 man fronts. I'm just saying that was also a Mussman team. I know you don't like him but the facts are facts.

How about these facts from 2011... Overall record 8-3 but 3 of those wins were non DI teams, 1 more win vs PFL Drake (16-0) So 4 wins vs teams with scholarships Southern Utah, UNC, UC Davis and South Dakota. Not a great bunch of teams to compare to this year or last years schedule.

How about these facts from 2011... Overall record 8-3 but 3 of those wins were non DI teams, 1 more win vs PFL Drake (16-0) So 4 wins vs teams with scholarships Southern Utah, UNC, UC Davis and South Dakota. Not a great bunch of teams to compare to this year or last years schedule.

That was actually a pretty good Drake team. How many 100 yard rushers did we allow that year? That front 7 of ours was awesome, had there been a corner opposite Brown who could do anything that would have been a really good defense. The only thing they struggled with was passing the ball and stopping the pass. How quickly things change.

and i don't think zenner was the same after goard introduced himself to zach in the backfield....

I was at the game and that stuck out for me too. I remember having to look at the roster to see who #23 was. Hopefully he continues to do well on special teams and works his way in to some regular playing time.

That was actually a pretty good Drake team. How many 100 yard rushers did we allow that year? That front 7 of ours was awesome, had there been a corner opposite Brown who could do anything that would have been a really good defense. The only thing they struggled with was passing the ball and stopping the pass. How quickly things change.

Our 2012 team was better than the 2011 team yet we had a worse record (8-3 vs. 5-6). In 2011, the schedule was everything. We didn't play opponents like Eastern Washington, South Dakota State, and Montana State in 2011.

• Upvote 1

Both Southern Utah and South Dakota were Top 25 teams when we beat them that year as well............

Didn't want to start a new thread, but sounds like Denarius McGhee will be out until at least October. Suddenly that MSU game doesn't look quite as daunting.

I read a week or 2...that's alot different than October. Not good for the Cats.