SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU at UND

homer

Hey Guys

I really think Mussman had the best game plan in place to compete with SDSU. We played toe to toe with the 6th ranked team in FCS and just missed out. Also our D played prtty well even tho zenner had way over 200 rushing lol.

you really think und played toe-toe with sdsu? The score doesnt show how dominate sdsu was against und. If sdsu kept with their gameplan the whole game instead of deciding the pass the ball during the 3rd and 4th it would have been a blow out. Congrats on being able to pass the ball but to win the game you need to be able to stop the run and get over 21 rushing yards.....

you really think und played toe-toe with sdsu? The score doesnt show how dominate sdsu was against und. If sdsu kept with their gameplan the whole game instead of deciding the pass the ball during the 3rd and 4th it would have been a blow out. Congrats on being able to pass the ball but to win the game you need to be able to stop the run and get over 21 rushing yards.....

Can't grasp sarcasm huh timeforachange?

Sure, some web site I've never heard of is supposed to prove that he is a better than average QB? 9 out of 21 passing for 157 yards is not an above average QB performance. Nice try troll.

By comparison, Uncle Rico was the 18th ranked QB according to Pedro's Sweet Rankings in 82.

He must have had a 50% completion percentage to be ranked that high.

Damn straight.

Uncle Rico: "How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"

Uncle Rico: "Yeah, If coach would've put me in fourth quarter, we'd have been state champions, no doubt. No doubt in my mind. You better believe things would have been different. I'd have gone pro in a heartbeat. I'd be makin' millions of dollars and livin' in a big ol' mansion somewhere. You know, soakin' it up in a hot tub with my soul mate."

Sarcasm is fine but at the same time like an above poster said you didnt play toe to toe with SDSU. Thats fine if Sumner went 9-21 but in all reality there were two bad balls thrown and 4 dropped balls. You can say what you would like about him that is your right but at the same time I dont need to defend anyone on a forum becasue I am sure they will let their playing and winning do the talking. If you would watch the game over again they threw a total of three times on first or second down the other 18 pases were in long down opportunities.

Sarcasm is fine but at the same time like an above poster said you didnt play toe to toe with SDSU. Thats fine if Sumner went 9-21 but in all reality there were two bad balls thrown and 4 dropped balls. You can say what you would like about him that is your right but at the same time I dont need to defend anyone on a forum becasue I am sure they will let their playing and winning do the talking. If you would watch the game over again they threw a total of three times on first or second down the other 18 pases were in long down opportunities.

How many passes did our rfr qb complete in long obvious passing situations?

• Upvote 1

I'm still befuddled as to why the SDSU coaching staff went away from Zenner in the fourth quarter. At the beginning of the quarter after his TD he needed only 14 yards to tie his record and thats all he had the rest of the game. Had SDSU managed to let this one slip through their fingers the head man would have had to answer some tough game management questions.

I was rather confused about that as well. Didn't seem like SDSU really cared about clock management and it almost came back to bite them in the ass. Congrats to the UND team and staff for taking advantage of this and making it into a close game. I didn't think it would be as close as it was.

I was rather conflicted about who to cheer for being an NDSU fan as neither team are on my "favorites" list so I went with our conference mate.

I will be cheering (and it REALLY pains me to say that) for you guys against Mt State though.

I am not arguing your point of your RSF completing passes in long down situations. But you cannot compare apples and oranges. Take a look at your recievers versus SDSU. I am not making excuses Sumner should have been better and can be better thats not my argument. My point is that you cannot put your team in a situation regardless of who you are playing to throw 90% of your passes only on 3rd downs.

I am not arguing your point of your RSF completing passes in long down situations. But you cannot compare apples and oranges. Take a look at your recievers versus SDSU. I am not making excuses Sumner should have been better and can be better thats not my argument. My point is that you cannot put your team in a situation regardless of who you are playing to throw 90% of your passes only on 3rd downs.

You had a running game setting up your pass game. Every down for us was an obvious passing situation for us and we still sliced you guys up. Our wrs are pretty nice but still, Sumner was a disappointment.

I noticed on the SDSU board some of the fans are getting a little big headed. When I was reading I could only think of NDSU fans and how they now fell like they are above almost all other teams.

SDSU made some mistakes in the game but not nearly what UND did. Most of the issues seem pretty easily correctable and I think by the end of the game the defense had already made some improvements.

Sumner is pretty good and I think better than he played against UND but he is a long, long way from getting a real sniff at the NFL.

There's been a lot of discussion about this game and how close it was, and I agree with that. But there's something bigger at play here. Go back and look and ndsu's games from 2010-now. There are a ton of what we would generally refer to as "close" games there, particularly conference games. My point is, at this level, the difference between winning and losing is small. You don't just blow out the tenth through 4th place teams in your conference, and then have one or two close games at the top. A decent team like UND in a power conference shouldn't get blown out by the #6 team in the country at home. Now, obviously given the blowouts last year UND fans feel fortunate to be close, but ultimately to turn the corner the program must learn how to win those close games vs good teams. That includes an FBS game at some point.

Sumner an average QB?? He is currently in the top 25 qbs for his class (all of D1)

http://nfldraftblitz...ankings-fr.html

So with one post you're going to say you have an NFL caliber QB and with the next post you're going to talk about how the only reason UND was able to stage a comeback was because SDSU started passing the ball. Sorry, but you can't have both. Sumner was garbage on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

So with one post you're going to say you have an NFL caliber QB and with the next post you're going to talk about how the only reason UND was able to stage a comeback was because SDSU started passing the ball. Sorry, but you can't have both. Sumner was garbage on Saturday.

I've never seen somebody post on an opponents board AFTER beating them looking for excuses for their players...makes no sense.

• Upvote 3

I've never seen somebody post on an opponents board AFTER beating them looking for excuses for their players...makes no sense.

Agree...and if that was the #6 team in FCS?? QB...average. Defense...not as good as advertised. Zenner...best RB to hit Alerus possibly ever. He was flat out the difference by himself.

I expect the Griz to be every bit as good as SDSU if not better this Saturday.

Sumner did not play very well, Zenner did – that’s really all there is too it. Of course, part of the reason Zenner did so well is because UND’s run defense is still quite terrible in my opinion. Hopefully the defense continues to improve. I’m actually somewhat okay with the offense, despite the significant difficulties running the ball. If we can get this QB situation smoothed out (hopefully Mollberg continues to play like he did in the 2nd half and locks up the spot) and the defense improves game by game, we could have a chance at a 7-4 season.

Agree...and if that was the #6 team in FCS?? QB...average. Defense...not as good as advertised. Zenner...best RB to hit Alerus possibly ever. He was flat out the difference by himself.

I actually thought their defense was really good. The front seven was outstanding. Their d line killed out o line most of the game. The lbs made alot of plays, even in pass coverage. Their secondary actually covered our guys well, we just made big plays.

As a MVFC team they don't see wrs like ours ever. It's a running league and they had a great run defense. I don't think MVFC teams would be able to stop our wr but they would stuff our running game and control the line of scrimmage like we saw most of the game.

I know our run defense gave up alot of yards that weren't just on a couple big runs but there were times in the game where our run defense was stout. It's not consistent yet but at time when Edwards was in the we were getting tfl and holding Zenner to 2 yards max. Kotelnicki will see this on film and I'm confident he'll adjust accordingly. Put in Goard on running downs?

100% agreed. I am confident in saying that Montana will be much more impressive than SDSU was. May not be good for UND but it will show on Saturday. Nice to have them back to back so we can compare.