SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU at UND

homer

It just boggles my mind how people on this thread state “if this gets into a passing war I give the edge to UND”. I guess I am just a curious person, but what makes you come to that conclusion? Do you not recall the year previous to Zenner? Do you not recall that Sumner was the freshman of the year in MVC and set the record for passing yards? Just boggles my mind that many of you have stated their passing game is just okay. Last year he may have had a downfall but who wouldn’t with torn ligaments in their throwing hand, he had one ligament left attaching part of the thumb? If you do a little research it is stated “that not many quarterbacks are comparable to Sumner in the FCS….and or FBS”…Not sure if you have seen him play but he has the smarts, technique, and arm to punish teams…and that’s just a bonus with the beast Zenner in the backfield. Prediction SDSU wins 49-17

Sumner is the definition of an average quarterback. He was awful in the second half, skipping throws, sailing over receivers heards. 2 for 9. Don't want to hear about him being a good QB ever again.

Sumner is the definition of an average quarterback. He was awful in the second half, skipping throws, sailing over receivers heards. 2 for 9. Don't want to hear about him being a good QB ever again.

Average QB + elite run game + good defense = FCS playoffs and top ten ranking.

The spark in the defense was started when the offense got some momentum going again. We had lost it and the qb change sparked

The entire team. We'll find out next week if one guy has the "it" factor that motivates an entire team. That could be the biggest difference between the two.

Very well could have been. Good point. Throwing against a relaxed defense probably helps, but I've always thought there always seems to be a spark when you switch qb's no matter the team or how good the qb.

UND 2012: Elite Passing game + below average run game + inept defense= losing record

UND 2013: 2 unproven freshman QBs fighting for a starting spot + elite receivers + no running game + barely average defense= who knows?

College FB is different than the NFL is terms of having a plan for success IMO.

In college you need to have a stout D especially vs the run, you have to run the ball with some decent success and you have to be disciplined in avoiding dumba** penalties and TOs. None of this has been part of the plan in Muss's tenure.

Average QB + elite run game + good defense = FCS playoffs and top ten ranking.

Cool bro. Wasn't talking about the rest of their team at all. Post was about Sumner and how their fan told us how great he is.

I read Oxbows post wrong and deleted my previous post, thought he was talking about how great SDSU's D was.

Cool bro. Wasn't talking about the rest of their team at all. Post was about Sumner and how their fan told us how great he is.

I read Oxbows post wrong and deleted my previous post, thought he was talking about how great SDSU's D was.

I thought Sumner wasn't even close to advertised but Zenner was better than advertised. Their O-line was outstanding as well.

Hahaha Sioux83 you crack me up. I can imagine you were a division 1 quarterback werent you. Did you watch the same game as me or a different one? We ran it down your throats and therefore there was never a rhythm between the quarterback Sumner and our receivers. He had one throw that was bad the other incompletions came courtesy of four dropped balls and good defense. You have no idea what it takes to play college football nor probably never will and that is okay. Kind of diffiicult when you only throw on 3rd and 9 or 3rd and ten isnt it? Or am I being unrealistic by that as well? You can jab back at me if you choose thats your choice but we will see who is right and wrong come draft day:)

Hahaha Sioux83 you crack me up. I can imagine you were a division 1 quarterback werent you. Did you watch the same game as me or a different one? We ran it down your throats and therefore there was never a rhythm between the quarterback Sumner and our receivers. He had one throw that was bad the other incompletions came courtesy of four dropped balls and good defense. You have no idea what it takes to play college football nor probably never will and that is okay. Kind of diffiicult when you only throw on 3rd and 9 or 3rd and ten isnt it? Or am I being unrealistic by that as well? You can jab back at me if you choose thats your choice but we will see who is right and wrong come draft day:)

In what round do you see him being drafted?

You're saying Sumner is going to get drafted? There's only about 10 QB's drafted each year and you have to be exceptional to be drafted from FCS, I think Sorenson was the only one last year and he went late in the last round, and he was a stud.

Thoughts on the game:

Both QBs made mistakes but you can't overlook Mollberg leading the attempted comeback in the second half. That was special, and his statistical numbers show that. Now, he did throw an interception when he had a chance to tie up the game, but he had already got the team from a 28-7 hole to a 35-28 trailing position. That is impressive given the situation and the team we were playing against. Give him an entire game and things could have gotten interesting. I say give him the start next weekend against Montana and see what happens - hopefully great things. His mobility, arm strength, and just pure athleticism are impressive.

Running game was horrible. Need to rotate in Shaugabay and Sparks - Miller is not a Big Sky caliber running back. There is no room in the Big Sky, or any major FCS conference, for a 160 lbs. toothpick who can't make anything happen if perfect blocking is not provided. Need to see the bigger and more physical backs in there way more often!

WRs are as advertised. Unbelievably special. That's all on that.

O-line did pretty good considering how good the SDSU d-line is. Would have liked to have seen better production in the run game, but they pass protected alright. Could've been worse, and there were holes at times and Miller didn't really make the most of it.

Defense needs to be better, but they made timely stops in the second half. 295 yards rushing is still way too much to give up, even if Zenner is an All-American. Anything over 200 is overkill. Next week, we'll get a break in the running department but the Griz passing attack will test out our secondary more than SDSU did.

All in all, I'd say give Mollberg a starting shot at it and if he produces 4 qtrs like he did during the SDSU 2nd half, UND definitely has a shot against Montana.

I could not tell you what round and will not predict one. I am basing that comment off of what the draft experts are saying on various websites including espn.

Are those the same sites that had Braden Hanson ranked as a top 15-20 for graduating QB's last year? I believe he was around #15 on an espn site last year as well.

LOL! He was 11-21 and basically let UND in the game himself by missing damn near every throw in the 4th quarter. He was 2-9 in the second half against a defense that is not good. Yet you come on here and tell us he is an NFL QB? He overthrew two passes and skipped one other one in the 4th quarter alone. Those were not drops.

And yes, I do know something about playing collegiate football. It doesn't take Ron Jaworski to see that Sumner wasn't very good on Saturday.

You can come up with all the reasons in the world of what happened or didnt happen. Fact is you cant throw on third down only and be conservative when leading. If the coaches at state had any guts to keep the pedal down you would have been blown out! Instead we let you back in. Not because of our pass game but becasue we stopped doing what we should have. Again throw only on third down and see how far that gets you, maybe throw on first or second with a play-action pass.

You can come up with all the reasons in the world of what happened or didnt happen. Fact is you cant throw on third down only and be conservative when leading. If the coaches at state had any guts to keep the pedal down you would have been blown out! Instead we let you back in. Not because of our pass game but becasue we stopped doing what we should have. Again throw only on third down and see how far that gets you, maybe throw on first or second with a play-action pass.

Hey...your team won. We lost. Sumner is overrated and has as much chance of getting drafted as I do of playing in the NBA for the Wolves at 5'8 and white. Now go away.

• Upvote 1

I know you weren't, and I agree with your assessment of Sumner. My point is that you can have average QB play in the equation and have a lot of success.

Why does Mussman get stubborn with starting certain players at certain positions and sticking with them no matter what? I can just hear him saying to the media this week "Jake Miller is our starting running back". I don't think Miller is good enough to shoulder the load for the entire game and get the yardage we need to get on the ground. Why not have a platoon at RB and get everybody involved? It would open up the playbook and make us less predictable. Platooning QBs generally doesn't work, but it does work for RBs and I think we should do it. There is no point in holding back our playbook anymore, not with the meat of our schedule coming up.

We DID have a platoon at running back: Miller and Jackson :) .

That is flat out BS and you know it! We finally made some plays and you guys were forced to adapt.

UND 2012: Elite Passing game + below average run game + inept defense= losing record

UND 2013: 2 unproven freshman QBs fighting for a starting spot + elite receivers + no running game + barely average defense= who knows?

That equals UNC and Idaho State

Very well could have been. Good point. Throwing against a relaxed defense probably helps, but I've always thought there always seems to be a spark when you switch qb's no matter the team or how good the qb.

Defense didn't relax. Long pass to Hardin had defender with him and TD to Hardin was also decent coverage. Receiver and QB made great throw and catch. Defensive pressure on QB still there, Mollberg did better job of avoiding it. I dont think any coach would go into prevent when opposition has ball down by 21 in mid third quarter. SDSU didn't.

• Upvote 1