SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football vs NCAA Hockey

Blackheart

Uffff....how does a Gary Anderson missed field goal that ruined my life 15 years ago end up in an NDSU-UND hockey/football flame thread?

The one kick Gary had to make all year long.....stupid..... :glare:

No kidding...definitely did not need to relive that...

I know I'll take a lot of flack for this one, but FCS football sucks. There's a reason tv networks aren't scrambling to ink conferences to huge multimillion dollar deals. For hockey fans NCAA D1 offers a much higher entertainment value, as you can watch players who have already been drafted give 100% to make to the next level and finally realize their dreams of signing that first pro contract. I'll take an NCAA D1 hockey national championship banner over an FCS banner any day of the week.

I know I'll take a lot of flack for this one, but FCS football sucks. There's a reason tv networks aren't scrambling to ink conferences to huge multimillion dollar deals. For hockey fans NCAA D1 offers a much higher entertainment value, as you can watch players who have already been drafted give 100% to make to the next level and finally realize their dreams of signing that first pro contract. I'll take an NCAA D1 hockey national championship banner over an FCS banner any day of the week.

UND can and has played the elite of college hockey for almost 70 years. When UND puts the foil on, you know that they can beat any team in the nation.

If the University of University of Agriculture, Applied Sciences and Home Economics ever would play the top college football program in the nation, such as Alabama, they would get crushed. Again, and again, and again. Unless you are a delusional member of Farmhouse, you know this to be true. They spout how they have six wins over (weak) FBS programs.

Big deal.

Where were they the prior 70+ years? I'll tell ya! (And UND is equally at fault) Playing D-II football and happy to have a chance to match up with the D-II power like the Pittsburg State Gorillas...

Big whoop. It was embarrassing. UND/Home Ec Tech/USD/SDSU should have moved up to D-I with a league like the Big Sky years and years ago.

I"m glad that UND finally got into the Big Sky. But, FCS is just a step up from D-II. But, it's not really D-I. It's not the elite of college football. It's a lesser division. It's better. But, still lesser.

That is fact.

Here is another fact. UND will win more D-I championships in hockey. But, not in other sports.

Here is another fact. The University of Agriculture, Applied Sciences and Home Economics will never win a D-I championship at the highest level of a sport.

Ever.

I repeat. Never. Ever.

UND will...in hockey. That's why it is the #1 college athletic program in the state of North Dakota.

If you don't believe it, do this. Go to the Fargo Dome. Look around. Take pictures. Take it all in. Then go to the Alerus...do the same thing.

Then, go to the Ralph. If you don't get it, you are either delusional, stupid or stoned. Or all three.

• Upvote 1

If you don't believe it, do this. Go to the Fargo Dome. Look around. Take pictures. Take it all in. Then go to the Alerus...do the same thing.

Then, go to the Ralph. If you don't get it, you are either delusional, stupid or stoned. Or all three.

So because a billionaire former-athlete built UND a beautiful hockey arena, that alone makes it the big cheese?

So because a billionaire former-athlete built UND a beautiful hockey arena, that alone makes it the big cheese?

I'll be honest, NDSU has built a very impressive football program, and I totally understand why your students and alumni are psyched about winning back to back FCS championships. But at the end of the day an FCS championship is like winning a gold medal at the junior Olympics, sure it's great, but it's not really being king of the mountain. I would honestly say this if UND had accomplished what your team has at the FCS level, I'm seriously not trying to take a shot at NDSU. The truth of the matter is the only sport in which UND, NDSU, and everyone in our respective conferences can gain huge national attention from is basketball. Lets be honest neither of our schools are ever going to get an invite from a power 5 conference to compete for a real National Championship, but you have some control of your own destiny.

I'll be honest, NDSU has built a very impressive football program, and I totally understand why your students and alumni are psyched about winning back to back FCS championships. Lets be honest neither of our schools are ever going to get an invite from a power 5 conference to compete for a real National Championship, but you have some control of your own destiny.

At what cost though? It would be interesting to see how many FBI numbers the NDSU football team has. They sure have had a good run racking up raps sheets during that same time span.

• Upvote 1

I'll be honest, NDSU has built a very impressive football program, and I totally understand why your students and alumni are psyched about winning back to back FCS championships. But at the end of the day an FCS championship is like winning a gold medal at the junior Olympics, sure it's great, but it's not really being king of the mountain. I would honestly say this if UND had accomplished what your team has at the FCS level, I'm seriously not trying to take a shot at NDSU. The truth of the matter is the only sport in which UND, NDSU, and everyone in our respective conferences can gain huge national attention from is basketball. Lets be honest neither of our schools are ever going to get an invite from a power 5 conference to compete for a real National Championship, but you have some control of your own destiny.

This is correct.

At what cost though? It would be interesting to see how many FBI numbers the NDSU football team has. They sure have had a good run racking up raps sheets during that same time span.

Theft, voting fraud, resisting arrest. And yet no missing time on the field. Throw in some cash and you have SMU 2.0.

• Upvote 2

Theft, voting fraud, resisting arrest. And yet no missing time on the field. Throw in some cash and you have SMU 2.0.

They're all victims too, I was over at Lakes Buffoon's web page yesterday and he was all but demanding along with a few other NDSU Fans that the coaching staff embrace Travis Beck and put him back on the team and act as if nothing has ever happened.

Obviously, he’s back on the team, but the victim has concussion issues right now after getting in a fight late at night. Poor guy.

If I was the football coach on this team, he’d be gone. Winning at all costs is not the image that one should portray.

This NDSU football programs reminds me of the Miami football program of the Butch Davis era.

fcs football has over 120 teams while hockey has about 60. fcs football also has teams all over the country while hockey is only paid attention to in the midwest and upper east coast...as a unbiased nd resident i think fcs football has more national exposure and having 60 more teams makes it harder to win. just an opinion!

Here is an article on non FBS players that have made or could make an impact in the NFL in the future. Not a bad list for considering that "FCS football sucks". I am guessing you didn't have the ability to play at the FCS level or you would have a different opinion.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame includes plenty of members who learned the game at smaller schools, and there are scores of others who carved out solid NFL careers despite coming from places that don't get attention the way the powerhouse programs do.

Larry Allen, Darrell Green, Deacon Jones, Jerry Rice and Walter Payton are just a few, and don't forget Howie Long, John Randle, Andre Reed, Phil Simms or Kurt Warner.

http://www.startribu.../218583721.html

Here is an article on non FBS players that have made or could make an impact in the NFL in the future. Not a bad list for considering that "FCS football sucks". I am guessing you didn't have the ability to play at the FCS level or you would have a different opinion.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame includes plenty of members who learned the game at smaller schools, and there are scores of others who carved out solid NFL careers despite coming from places that don't get attention the way the powerhouse programs do.

Larry Allen, Darrell Green, Deacon Jones, Jerry Rice and Walter Payton are just a few, and don't forget Howie Long, John Randle, Andre Reed, Phil Simms or Kurt Warner.

I don't think anyone is saying fcs football sucks. It's just being pointed out that fcs is not the highest level of football in the NCAA.

Edit....ok I saw Irish said it sucks my bad.

fcs football has over 120 teams while hockey has about 60. fcs football also has teams all over the country while hockey is only paid attention to in the midwest and upper east coast...as a unbiased nd resident i think fcs football has more national exposure and having 60 more teams makes it harder to win. just an opinion!

If you think the general sports following population gives a second thought to either of them other than flash-in-the-pan moments, you're kidding yourself.

I didn't have the ability, nor the desire. I played soccer at a small liberal arts college. Since this is a FCS vs. College hockey thread, my point is that an FCS championship is not on the same level as a D1 hockey championship. I could make a list of pro hockey players that played college hockey, but that would take way too long to complete. There have been some very good players who have come out of the FCS, but it's no where near as many coming out of the FBS. No need to take what I said so personal, it's just a message board.

Interesting topic, I think they are almost mirror images of each other. Both FCS Football and College Hockey are not followed on a national level, only regional. Heyduke seems to have a lot of Facts, so I'll throw some out.

29.4% of NHL Players came from the college ranks in 2012-13 and 20.1% of NFL Players came from FCS in 2012-13. Not a big difference on the top level talent in each sport...

• Upvote 1

Interesting topic, I think they are almost mirror images of each other. Both FCS Football and College Hockey are not followed on a national level, only regional. Heyduke seems to have a lot of Facts, so I'll throw some out.

29.4% of NHL Players came from the college ranks in 2012-13 and 20.1% of NFL Players came from FCS in 2012-13. Not a big difference on the top level talent in each sport...

Those are some interesting stats. However, I believe you'll find that almost 100% of NFL recruits come out of the NCAA, so that would mean that 79.9% came out of the FBS. Hockey is a different animal all together, 29.4% of NHL players may have came out of the NCAA, but what about the other professional leagues throughout the world? I'm guessing if you added that in, it would be substantially higher.

Just curious where you got those numbers. I had been looking for something similar a while back and wasn't able to find anything.

I didn't have the ability, nor the desire. I played soccer at a small liberal arts college. Since this is a FCS vs. College hockey thread, my point is that an FCS championship is not on the same level as a D1 hockey championship. I could make a list of pro hockey players that played college hockey, but that would take way too long to complete. There have been some very good players who have come out of the FCS, but it's no where near as many coming out of the FBS. No need to take what I said so personal, it's just a message board.

I did not play FCS football but did play at UND and we beat some good I-AA teams during my time. I do take it personal when you state that 'FCS football sucks' - even in a message board. I am sure others do too.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and maybe the use of the word "sucks" is a little harsh, "undesirable" would have been a better choice. But the low showing in both attendance and tv ratings would suggest that there is a lack of interest in this level of play. That doesn't mean that I don't follow UND football, it just means that I would like to see UND find a way to go to FBS or invest more resources in building a solid basketball program. At the end of the day athletics is an investment and at UND hockey and basketball offers more bang for the buck.