SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football vs NCAA Hockey

Blackheart

I am a fan of both. So to me both sports are important and both are hard to win. Right now UND is among the big boys in hockey, but in football we are just the average joes and with teams like Montana, Montana State, EWU and Cal Poly just winning our conference is tough enough winning a championship is even more tough. Hopefully with patience, luck, and a great recruiting class UND can get a championship in both sports.

Both are a grind. I'll say NCAA Hockey is more difficult only because the sport lends itself to more upsets (see 1996-97 Michigan, 2010-11 North Dakota).

I will actually say with all the conference shuffling in both sports that I'm more excited for football. The loss of the Minnesota and Wisconsin hockey series' to me is a big blow to the schedule, while the football schedule is loaded with quality. Just my $0.02.

Both are a grind. I'll say NCAA Hockey is more difficult only because the sport lends itself to more upsets (see 1996-97 Michigan, 2010-11 North Dakota).

Totally agree...plus it has recently been proven that a team can get marginal QB play (at best) at the FBS level and still win a Natty. IMO much easier to cover up flaws or short comings in FB than it is in hockey. Plus there is always the "hot goalie" in hockey. :glare:

But I'll make this clear...winning a Natty in either sport means you are the best in your current place in college athletics. To argue anything else is ignorant.

• Upvote 4

Football...why?? Like to hear the reasoning. In both scenarios there are realistically 6-8 teams every year with a chance to win it all. A bounce or two won't decide a FB playoff game but will in hockey. Too many variables in hockey that makes it more unpredictable when you get to the final 8 teams IMO. Unless you have a QB that has a tendency to throw a pick 6 game in and game out. ;)

Football...why?? Like to hear the reasoning. In both scenarios there are realistically 6-8 teams every year with a chance to win it all. A bounce or two won't decide a FB playoff game but will in hockey. Too many variables in hockey that makes it more unpredictable when you get to the final 8 teams IMO. Unless you have a QB that has a tendency to throw a pick 6 game in and game out. ;)

I am going to agree with Oxbow, there are a handful of FCS teams that can win a NCAA title in Football, there are more in Hockey. Yale proved that this past season.

A bounce? Sometimes.

http://youtu.be/7xMDIcsUMmA

I'll give you that one, but you probably were not even born when that happened and to find a few more like that since that "bounce" happened would be a challenge. "Luck", a bounce or whatever you want to call it determines more games in hockey than any other team sport.

I'll give you that one, but you probably were not even born when that happened and to find a few more like that since that "bounce" happened would be a challenge. "Luck", a bounce or whatever you want to call it determines more games in hockey than any other team sport.

Soccer features the same stuff hockey does.

FCS football is "better" because college football is the choice of the masses. Every major school that has athletics, has football.

Soccer features the same stuff hockey does.

FCS football is "better" because college football is the choice of the masses. Every major school that has athletics, has football.

Well that is just inaccurate. Though I would love to hear your definition of a "major school". You're doing so well impressing people over on FU's board lately, let's see what you got.

Well that is just inaccurate. Though I would love to hear your definition of a "major school". You're doing so well impressing people over on FU's board lately, let's see what you got.

Schools that are household names....with few exceptions. Don't think Gonzaga has a football team. Or Xavier....but the only reason I know these places even exist is because of basketball. Would hardly call them household names. And honestly, I really don't care if I impress people that I don't know unless they got a job waiting for me after I graduate.

Schools that are household names. And honestly, I really don't care if I impress people that I don't know unless they got a job waiting for me after I graduate.

George Mason, Boston U, Bradley, any of the Cal State's, Creighton, Denver, DePaul, Gonzaga, George Washington, Marquette, NYU, Seton Hall, Wichita State, Xavier, etc, etc, etc....

Plus, 50% of your main conference doesn't sponsor football as well, along with quite a few teams who have left it behind.

George Mason, Boston U, Bradley, any of the Cal State's, Creighton, Denver, DePaul, Gonzaga, George Washington, Marquette, NYU, Seton Hall, Wichita State, Xavier, etc, etc, etc....

Plus, 50% of your main conference doesn't sponsor football as well, along with quite a few teams who have left it behind.

But he didn't mean THOSE schools.

I was born long before this one.

Touche. I recognize those names. I don't know if the average American would have ever heard of some of them.