SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football vs NCAA Hockey

Blackheart

For once you and I agree on something :)

Eventually we find consensus. :D

Just for the record, I think the Ag School, UND, SDSU and USD are finally in the football division where they belong...however..

I also think that both the Ag School and UND should consider moving up when and if (I think it's more "when") The big five conferences break away and the mid to lower tier FBS schools left change their scholarships and invite the upper of the FCS to move up. They're will probably be a super division of college football similar to the FBS with a playoff, including those five conferences. Then, the second division which would probably be conferences like the MAC/MWC, etc... I could see the Big Sky and MVC moving up to that new division. Some schools would fall by the wayside, but most would move up. The weaker conferences in FCS would probably stay in whatever The FCS turns into.

Overall, this new division will hurt schools like CSU/Wyoming/Miami of Ohio. But, they won't have a choice. That's the way it goes in college athletics.

In Fargo,a new stadium (I am not sure if they can expand the Fargodome) would need to be built. Same in Grand Forks. (I totally dig that idea of building one over old Memorial Stadium.)

This is all opinion, but I hope "when" it happens, both these schools and the South Dakota schools man up this time and move up. God forbid they remain in that third division...that would be as bad as staying D-II for all those years.

It is lower than the 20k from Lakes.

I think it was lower than 16,000 also. (Lakes...well..he's in his own little world...)

But, I have to admit for an FCS school, the Ag School does travel well. That crowd at Colorado State last year blew them away. (I kept telling my friends it would be impressive...they didn't believe it until they saw it.) They travel better in football than us, no doubt. However, we will catch up. That new indoor training facility is going to be huge for recruitment and ultimately wins. Be nice to see that new stadium built on campus.

Eventually we find consensus. :D

Just for the record, I think the Ag School, UND, SDSU and USD are finally in the football division where they belong...however..

I also think that both the Ag School and UND should consider moving up when and if (I think it's more "when") The big five conferences break away and the mid to lower tier FBS schools left change their scholarships and invite the upper of the FCS to move up. They're will probably be a super division of college football similar to the FBS with a playoff, including those five conferences. Then, the second division which would probably be conferences like the MAC/MWC, etc... I could see the Big Sky and MVC moving up to that new division. Some schools would fall by the wayside, but most would move up. The weaker conferences in FCS would probably stay in whatever The FCS turns into.

Overall, this new division will hurt schools like CSU/Wyoming/Miami of Ohio. But, they won't have a choice. That's the way it goes in college athletics.

In Fargo,a new stadium (I am not sure if they can expand the Fargodome) would need to be built. Same in Grand Forks. (I totally dig that idea of building one over old Memorial Stadium.)

This is all opinion, but I hope "when" it happens, both these schools and the South Dakota schools man up this time and move up. God forbid they remain in that third division...that would be as bad as staying D-II for all those years.

I agree they should all move up that they should also all be in the same conference (pick one I don't care). Please help me with one thing though. What's the infatuation with demeaning NDSU because its an AG school? I think you can live a lot longer without a lawyer than you can without a farmer. ;)

I agree they should all move up that they should also all be in the same conference (pick one I don't care). Please help me with one thing though. What's the infatuation with demeaning NDSU because its an AG school? I think you can live a lot longer without a lawyer than you can without a farmer. ;)

j

Just my way of having fun... After all, it is officially the North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences.

In Fort Collins, CSU students totally dig wearing the old Orange and Green (yeah..ugly...but they like it) and the "Colorado Agriculture and Mechanical Aggies" logo. They embrace it.

Why doesn't the school in Fargo embrace their heritage? I find they seem embarrassed by their history.

Until I see some pride out of that school, I think I'll continue reminding them. (Okay, the home ec thing is over the top...)

Also, yes, if a move up would happen, it would be great to see UND/Ag School/USD/SDSU in the same conference again.

j

Just my way of having fun... After all, it is officially the North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences.

In Fort Collins, CSU students totally dig wearing the old Orange and Green (yeah..ugly...but they like it) and the "Colorado Agriculture and Mechanical Aggies" logo. They embrace it.

Why doesn't the school in Fargo embrace their heritage? I find they seem embarrassed by their history.

Until I see some pride out of that school, I think I'll continue reminding them. (Okay, the home ec thing is over the top...)

Also, yes, if a move up would happen, it would be great to see UND/Ag School/USD/SDSU in the same conference again.

Most are proud of it and embrace it. Some probably are as you say "embarrassed" which is wrong. Until oil it is what the state was known for.

Most are proud of it and embrace it. Some probably are as you say "embarrassed" which is wrong. Until oil it is what the state was known for.

Well, North Dakota has always been a farm state. That's my family's heritage. My great-grandfather homesteaded by the Canadian border. I do appreciate those who defend the land grant heritage at the Ag School. But, am dumbfounded by those who fine it shameful.

The oil will be sucked out...eventually. There will still be the agricultural economy in North Dakota.

If NDSU had some NDAC swag I could buy at scheels, no doubt I'd rock that stuff regularly.

JohnboyND7......At bottom I just noticed....".Go Bison-Go Irish- Go Gophs" . I can understand the first one, I can stomach the middle one, but the last one.......Uff Da! I just dry heaved.

I cheer for the gophs in general as long as they aren't playing the Bison. I understand why you wouldn't feel the same.

I wonder if they were harvest colors back then? Green and Gold?

EDIT:

Yes, this song was written in 1908, back when it was the North Dakota Agricultural College: Yellow and green, not gold and green.

http://en.wikipedia....w_and_The_Green

Ho! A cheer for green and yellow.....up with yellow and the green....their the shades that deck our prairies....far and wide with glorious sheen.

Yellow seems like a cool color...something you could wrap a marketing campaign around of..,

Don't remind us.

I'd love to see the source on 16k in Frisco. The majority of the crowd was NDSU but it wasn't 75%.

it was pretty close. I based that number around the number of tickets SHSU returned unsold from its allotment (something like 600 tickets). I don't think a huge number of people would pay $150 market value when they could get them from retail from the school. SHSU had around 5k people there. That leaves 16000 for NDSU.

it was pretty close. I based that number around the number of tickets SHSU returned unsold from its allotment (something like 600 tickets). I don't think a huge number of people would pay $150 market value when they could get them from retail from the school. SHSU had around 5k people there. That leaves 16000 for NDSU.

It wasn't 75% NDSU despite what you think.

Ho! A cheer for green and yellow.....up with yellow and the green....their the shades that deck our prairies....far and wide with glorious sheen.

All those old songs are kind of hokey. But, they are good reminders of what colleges and school spirit were like back "in the day".

It wasn't 75% NDSU despite what you think.

Probably not 75, but pretty close. It was impressive

All those old songs are kind of hokey. But, they are good reminders of what colleges and school spirit were like back "in the day".

Notre Dame still has the best one.

It just ... screams ... ad campaign.

Are you implying that the "Scream Yellow" campaign wasn't NDSU's best marketing ploy ever???!

/sarcasm

Are you implying that the "Scream Yellow" campaign wasn't NDSU's best marketing ploy ever???!

/sarcasm

4 words for you...Thunder the Bleacher Creature.

All UND fans put down your stones if you even think about taking a shot at the AC about any type of marketing, promotion or advertising.

Whoever at UND came up with that I hope was gone before the Creature was. Goodness...

All UND fans put down your stones if you even think about taking a shot at the AC about any type of marketing, promotion or advertising.

Whoever at UND came up with that I hope was gone before the Creature was. Goodness...

I liked Thunder he was fun for the kids, to bad the PC crowd took it as an insult.

I was kind of hoping they'd bring him back. That costume is somewhere!

I wonder if they were harvest colors back then? Green and Gold?

EDIT:

Yes, this song was written in 1908, back when it was the North Dakota Agricultural College: Yellow and green, not gold and green.

http://en.wikipedia....w_and_The_Green

Another boring fact filled post below, so feel free to skip it.

You are very correct about the school colors being based in agriculture. You probably read the first verse, but a line goes, "fields of waving green in springtime, golden yellow in the fall." We'll ignore the redundancy of golden yellow for now. :) As an aside, I believe your school colors are also plant related. Aren't the original colors of green and prairie rose(pink) based on the wild flower commonly found in ND at the time? In any case, I believe it was understood the NDAC colors were yellow and green, and that understanding held up until the 1960's.

If the story I heard was correct, it was during the first series of football championships when the terminology shifted. One championship was under the belt, and the school was going for more. There was a light ad campaign at the time promoting the team. Not an ad campaign in the sense we would think of today, but a few slogans and an overall theme. Two elements of that time have survived: "green and gold", and "the march is on". The basic concept was "the march is on for another championship gold". Gold is viewed as the color of championships, so it was an easy reach. The alliteration between green and gold made it stick.

It's really interesting to listen to a discussion over which set of colors is "right". The real old timers and those who were part of the music program at NDSU are adamant that the correct colors are yellow and green. (It is a long standing tradition that the music groups sing the song every time they eat together. A four+ year marching band member might play the song a thousand times and sing it a hundred more.) On the other hand, players from the 60's onward are almost fanatic that the colors are green and gold. The green and gold phrase became part of the championship tradition and the football program holds that tradition very dearly. The average student tends to follow the team, so the colors shifted to green and gold.

I don't think anyone ever set out to get rid of yellow because they were ashamed of it, it just happened organically over the years. The players identified the gold with their championships. When you try to say that the real color is yellow and not gold, it's almost like you're trying to take away something from the championships. In some small way, it's like the way the hockey players and hockey-only crowd reacted to the nickname change. Over the decades, the nickname and logo became strongly linked to the championships. When you try to change the logo, many felt like it took something away from those championships. Same deal, if to two different degrees.

As to the original topic of the thread, there's no significant difference between DI FCS and DI Hockey. I look at the fanbases. Both fanbases can be characterized as small and very passionate. They both tend to consist of people who have some direct connection to the school. Either they went there, or played there, or grew up near the school, or had relatives/friends who went there. Sports like BCS football(top 5 FBS conferences) have a completely different type of fanbase. While they still have a core group of very passionate fans, the bulk of the fanbase is the casual fan who tunes in on Sat and is willing to watch any of a dozen teams. The fanbase of the bottom 5 FBS conferences can be characterized as small and casual if you want to be kind(exceptions like Boise State notwithstanding), or small and apathetic if you want to be brutally honest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not sure how it plays into it, but the color on the jersey is definitely yellow. Notre Dame wears gold.

The official color is a pantone version of Yellow. That Yellow color doesn't change if someone calls NDSU the green and gold, or if NDSU has gold rush. Just a phrase that flows for promotional and marketing purposes. NDSU is not going to take the popular step of changing the official color to a ND Irish gold, like many other schools have done. UNC Bears and MSU Bobcats (I believe) are both examples of going from a base yellow color 25 years ago to a golden color today. Many would say that the gold is a more modern color than the previous yellow.

NDSU will stay with its base official Pantone Yellow color, that won't change.