SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football vs NCAA Hockey

Blackheart

I think the same argument could be made about NCAA hockey vs. major junior hockey in Canada. Yes I realize you put a qualifier of being in the US in there.

Yup...in the US. However that argument is apples to oranges because you are speaking about different ages kids....with only a slight overlap.

Also college teams would easily compete in a major junior schedule (because they are more mature). Fcs teams would get destroyed by FBS teams ( yes I know about once every other year the top fcs team sneaks out a nail biter against a bottom of the barrel FBS team but all football fans outside of Fargo know what I mean). Bama puts up triple digits on any fcs team in the country while the best CHL team could lose to many of the top college teams in any given game.

Yup...in the US. However that argument is apples to oranges because your are speaking about different ages kids....with only a slight overlap.

Also college teams would easily compete in a major junior schedule (because the are more mature). Fcs teams would get destroyed ( yes I know about once every other year the top fcs team sneaks out a nail biter against a bottom of the barrel FBS team but all football fans outside of Fargo know what I mean). Bama puts up triple digits on any fcs team in the country while the best CHL team could lose to many of the top college teams in any given game.

Alabama is not going to put up 100 on all FCS teams. They beat Georgia Southern by 25 a couple years ago though. Believe it or not,

Heck, the year Michigan lost to Appy, they beat Florida in...the Gator Bowl I believe. In 2010 when JMU beat Virginia Tech, Virginia Tech made it to a BCS bowl. Its not as if good FCS teams can't beat good FBS teams. Most of the time, they will lose. Often times they will lose bad. But it happens.

Yup...in the US. However that argument is apples to oranges because you are speaking about different ages kids....with only a slight overlap.

Also college teams would easily compete in a major junior schedule (because they are more mature). Fcs teams would get destroyed by FBS teams ( yes I know about once every other year the top fcs team sneaks out a nail biter against a bottom of the barrel FBS team but all football fans outside of Fargo know what I mean). Bama puts up triple digits on any fcs team in the country while the best CHL team could lose to many of the top college teams in any given game.

I agree.

However, if nothing else NCAA hockey and Major Juniors in Canada are 1-A and 1-B in terms of having the best talent in the US and Canada playing in their programs. With Major Junior having a slight edge in most of the publications I have read on the subject.

Point being, the talent is split between two places. So NCAA hockey isn't truly the epitome of talent for players in that age group is all I'm saying.

Alabama is not going to put up 100 on all FCS teams. They beat Georgia Southern by 25 a couple years ago though. Believe it or not,

Heck, the year Michigan lost to Appy, they beat Florida in...the Gator Bowl I believe. In 2010 when JMU beat Virginia Tech, Virginia Tech made it to a BCS bowl. Its not as if good FCS teams can't beat good FBS teams. Most of the time, they will lose. Often times they will lose bad. But it happens.

Yup I watched that game between Bama and GS. Bama was rotating in backups the entire game....from the first snap, especially on D. The only 100 yd rusher against the Bama d that year was from GS (even though they had a safety playing QB) and play right through a vicious SEC schedule. Point being, if Bama had wanted to put up big numbers on them they easily could have.

I agree.

However, if nothing else NCAA hockey and Major Juniors in Canada are 1-A and 1-B in terms of having the best talent in the US and Canada playing in their programs. With Major Junior having a slight edge in most of the publications I have read on the subject.

Point being, the talent is split between two places. So NCAA hockey isn't truly the epitome of talent for players in that age group is all I'm saying.

I do agree with you point here.

UND is a top tier program in the top tier of NCAA hockey.

Home Ec Tech is a top program in the second tier of college football.

UND sells more tickets, creates more revenue, the Sioux gear sold more than the buffalo stuff, the arena is not only the best in North Dakota, but probably in the world. UND hockey is #1 in the state.

There is no parity between these programs, Home Ecers. UND hockey is the top college sports program in the state of North Dakota.

Now, get over the butt hurt. Go back to BV and talk buttfootball...Where arrest warrants outpace FCS championships by about a 20-1 ratio... :lol:

UND sells more tickets, creates more revenue, the Sioux gear sold more than the buffalo stuff, the arena is not only the best in North Dakota, but probably in the world. UND hockey is #1 in the state.

There is no parity between these programs, Home Ecers. UND hockey is the top college sports program in the state of North Dakota.

Now, get over the butt hurt. Go back to BV and talk buttfootball...Where arrest warrants outpace FCS championships by about a 20-1 ratio... :lol:

If you want to say that, I don't have a problem with it at all. I believe it's arguable, but it would likely be a matter of opinion to make the argument either way.

However, to have this discussion, it is paramount to point out that UND enjoys many advantages over NDSU in terms of recruiting in their respective sport.

Not the least of which is geography. The best football talent in the country is spread out, yes, but in general the best talent is nowhere near Fargo, ND. In contrast, GF is in the heart of some of, if not the world's best talent in hockey in that age group. Much easier to get a guy to come to GF from Roseau, MN than it is to get a guy from Miami, FL to come to Fargo, ND.

Not excuses, just pointing out the difference in recruiting between the two sports.

If you want to say that, I don't have a problem with it at all. I believe it's arguable, but it would likely be a matter of opinion to make the argument either way.

However, to have this discussion, it is paramount to point out that UND enjoys many advantages over NDSU in terms of recruiting in their respective sport.

Not the least of which is geography. The best football talent in the country is spread out, yes, but in general the best talent is nowhere near Fargo, ND. In contrast, GF is in the heart of some of, if not the world's best talent in hockey in that age group. Much easier to get a guy to come to GF from Roseau, MN than it is to get a guy from Miami, FL to come to Fargo, ND.

Not excuses, just pointing out the difference in recruiting between the two sports.

Yeah.

Whine about the premier athletic program at the flagship university in North Dakota having an advantage.

boo.

hoo.

Go to BV. Prop up your criminals. They're prepping for the KSU massacre....

There are 59 teams (Lacrosse even has more) in the highest level of the regional sport known as college hockey (of which 40 have never won a National Championship). Not saying it's easy but wouldn't you say UND should have more than what they have and < than a 13 year gap since the last one?

There are 59 teams (Lacrosse even has more) in the highest level of the regional sport known as college hockey (of which 40 have never won a National Championship). Not saying it's easy but wouldn't you say UND should have more than what they have and < than a 13 year gap since the last one?

Here is a bigger gap...

The University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences winning an NCAA championship at the highest level of that sports....

infinity...

Based on your argument you have clearly never played or made an effort to understand the game.

I still contend that college hockey is where you go if you aren't good enough to play at the highest levels right out of high school and therefore is the 2nd choice for pre-NHL athletics. Both the fcs and Ncaa produce approximately the same percentage of top tier athletes. I don't think anyone is saying fcs=fbs, though the premier athletes at both levels are very very good and sometimes the best athlete ends up @ the lower tier. Having said that I truly believe ndsu the past few years would have likely had a winning record in both the big 12 and big10 and would have likely won a couple bowl games in the process. Beat Alabama? Not likely. Won the national championship... even less likely.

Ncaa hockey and fcs play at similar levels vs what is available pre-professional in their respective sports.

I still contend that college hockey is where you go if you aren't good enough to play at the highest levels right out of high school and therefore is the 2nd choice for pre-NHL athletics. Both the fcs and Ncaa produce approximately the same percentage of top tier athletes. I don't think anyone is saying fcs=fbs, though the premier athletes at both levels are very very good and sometimes the best athlete ends up @ the lower tier. Having said that I truly believe ndsu the past few years would have likely had a winning record in both the big 12 and big10 and would have likely won a couple bowl games in the process. Beat Alabama? Not likely. Won the national championship... even less likely.

Ncaa hockey and fcs play at similar levels vs what is available pre-professional in their respective sports.

Hockey is played throughout the world.

American football.. well, nope.

Hockey is played throughout the world.

American football.. well, nope.

I'll try digging up the numbers again. Believe I found a stat that had more Americans playing high school football than registered hockey players in the world.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey#Number_of_registered_players_by_country

32 of 72 countries with hockey federations have more than 1,000 players. The top 32 total about 1.5 million players worldwide.

http://www.justanswer.com/general/6c9gc-kids-play-football-america-highschool-dow.html

This one is less reliable. But I'm looking around. One estimate has 1.1 million playing high school football, with youth football added, he has it around 5 or 6 million. Who knows. Someone else may be able to find a more accurate number. What appears to be certain however, is that football has significantly more players worldwide than hockey.

I'll try digging up the numbers again. Believe I found a stat that had more Americans playing high school football than registered hockey players in the world.

Who cares?

The fact is UND hockey is bigger than all other programs in the state of North Dakota.

Accept reality.

Who cares?

The fact is UND hockey is bigger than all other programs in the state of North Dakota.

Accept reality.

You seemed to imply that hockey is a bigger sport than American football. If that was not your intention, then my bad.

If UND hockey is bigger than any other program in the state....when was the last time 10-15,000 UND fans travelled 15 hours to go see a game?

You seemed to imply that hockey is a bigger sport than American football. If that was not your intention, then my bad.

If UND hockey is bigger than any other program in the state....when was the last time 10-15,000 UND fans travelled 15 hours to go see a game?

UND hockey is bigger than the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences football program.

That is a fact.

Football overall in the USA is bigger than hockey. No doubt.

(Jeez..no wonder you go to Home Ec Tech..)