SiouxSports.com Forum

TV Coverage

bincitysioux

Some good news today- Midco and Fox College Sports reach a deal to televise all UND Midco broadcasts besides hockey on national tv. I'm glad to see this and some added exposure for UND football, women's hockey, men's and women's hoops and volleyball

Some good news today- Midco and Fox College Sports reach a deal to televise all UND Midco broadcasts besides hockey on national tv. I'm glad to see this and some added exposure for UND football, women's hockey, men's and women's hoops and volleyball

Definitely great to see!

Nice to see AmericaOne/Midco are now sending the widescreen feed of today's football game. It looks pretty nice, although it's buffered more than any of the hockey games I've seen this year.

Yeah I noticed that it was buffering more than any other game this season on watch big sky. The Miami feed from the hockey game was solid. I am startign to think Midco is the problem.

Yeah I noticed that it was buffering more than any other game this season on watch big sky. The Miami feed from the hockey game was solid. I am startign to think Midco is the problem.

The football stream was sent from a truck, for the first time, and the problems were noted there. According to Matt Schill, they won't do that again. It did start to work well late in the game, but there were probably very few of us still watching, kinda like very few fans left in seats at the game.

• 1 month later...

Good news for UND.

Actually it could be bad news for UND. MidCo could try to get the rights to NDSU athletics instead of UND. With a presence in Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo and NDSU football being the the hottest ticket to get, it would make sense to go after it. Also, what better way to get Fargo residents to make the switch than to tell them they won't see NDSU athletics if they stay with Cable One. Also, most of Midco's coverage area is in the Summit League footprint. The out state viewers would be more interested in watching a Summit League Basketball or volleyball game than a Big Sky game.

Actually it could be bad news for UND. MidCo could try to get the rights to NDSU athletics instead of UND. With a presence in Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo and NDSU football being the the hottest ticket to get, it would make sense to go after it. Also, what better way to get Fargo residents to make the switch than to tell them they won't see NDSU athletics if they stay with Cable One. Also, most of Midco's coverage area is in the Summit League footprint. The out state viewers would be more interested in watching a Summit League Basketball or volleyball game than a Big Sky game.

They already have the rights to sdsu and usd athletics. Doesn't seem to hurt us any. Most Fargo residents won't need much more encouragement to switch from cable one.

There are still three more years on the UND/Midco contract. How long is the KVLY contact last with NDSU? Is it an annual thing or is there a several year contract already in place? "Most out of state viewers" aren't Midco subscribers so they don't have any way of watching the games anyway unless it is put on FCS which doesn't help Midco anyway. Midco covers USD/SDSU and UND. Adding NDSU to that isn't going to suddenly mean no more broadcasts for UND. Midco is covering six UND basketball or volleyball games all year that don't involve NDSU, SDSU or USD.

There are still three more years on the UND/Midco contract. How long is the KVLY contact last with NDSU? Is it an annual thing or is there a several year contract already in place? "Most out of state viewers" aren't Midco subscribers so they don't have any way of watching the games anyway unless it is put on FCS which doesn't help Midco anyway. Midco covers USD/SDSU and UND. Adding NDSU to that isn't going to suddenly mean no more broadcasts for UND. Midco is covering six UND basketball or volleyball games all year that don't involve NDSU, SDSU or USD.

Look for that number to increase if we play well.

Midco has a contract with UND and built a MidcoSports office next to the Ralph. UND fans in Fargo will get to watch more games. Increased exposure in a market that is an easy drive to UND is a good thing for UND. There was a push to keep UND off the air in Fargo (I believe Cable Ones head honcho is a teammaker) and that now appears to be failing.

I'm sure Midco will want to add NDSU to their lineup but UND not only has a large following in Fargo (going to school at UND most students were from Fargo or the cities) but also offers the channel more games thanks to hockey. If I remember correctly UND got a million dollars for their contract compared to about $225,000 for USD and SDSU and that's with Midco being based in the Dakotas largest city.

Let's not forget Midco Sports Network basically started because of UND Sports Network (formerly FSSN). And if there's a conflicting schedule Midco will just put one of the games on another channel.

Midco has a contract with UND and built a MidcoSports office next to the Ralph. UND fans in Fargo will get to watch more games. Increased exposure in a market that is an easy drive to UND is a good thing for UND. There was a push to keep UND off the air in Fargo (I believe Cable Ones head honcho is a teammaker) and that now appears to be failing.

I'm sure Midco will want to add NDSU to their lineup but UND not only has a large following in Fargo (going to school at UND most students were from Fargo or the cities) but also offers the channel more games thanks to hockey. If I remember correctly UND got a million dollars for their contract compared to about $225,000 for USD and SDSU and that's with Midco being based in the Dakotas largest city.

Let's not forget Midco Sports Network basically started because of UND Sports Network (formerly FSSN). And if there's a conflicting schedule Midco will just put one of the games on another channel.

If Midco and NDSU were to sign a contract, I don't think it would be at the expense of UND's coverage. If anything, having more live content to show bolsters their credibility as a sports network, and could further the chances of getting included on the satellite dishes, which would be good news for all of the Dakota schools.
  • Upvote 1

If Midco and NDSU were to sign a contract, I don't think it would be at the expense of UND's coverage. If anything, having more live content to show bolsters their credibility as a sports network, and could further the chances of getting included on the satellite dishes, which would be good news for all of the Dakota schools.

It probably would affect football coverage the most as those games would have the best chance at being at the same time.

Looking at the big picture this makes total sense. Probably will not happen until they have the full infastructure in place in Fargo which sounds like it could be a few years.

I am one those UND graduates living in Fargo. I welcome MIDCO with open arms. This probably means that CableOne will change their mind and broadcast more UND games next year. Win Win

It will also mean prices will decrease as CableOne won't have the monopoly in Fargo. I love competition.

In the end, this will mean more UND athletics being broadcast. Whether that's through Midco, or even if Midco successfully bids for the ac contract then I've no doubt NBC North Dakota would pick up UND.

There is no way that NBC North Dakota Sports will air UND Hockey every Friday AND Saturday night that they are at home. Our situation right now is ideal, with the exception of the stupid NCHC Agreement with CBS Sports