SiouxSports.com Forum

TV Coverage

bincitysioux

A couple of thoughts on this:

*While I was employed in the athletics department at the time, it was at the undergrad/grad student level, so I was not involved in any of the planning for the arena or its broadcast capabilities. So I do not know whether this was ever the plan or not. I don't recall ever hearing that to be the case prior to your post, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

*While it does appear to be a nice idea in theory, if I can be completely frank here, there is no way this would fly with a fan base as demanding (and I use the word in the most complimentary way) as ours. Having seen so much vitriolic criticism from some fans over the years of professionally-run broadcasts (Midco, FOX Sports North, CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc.), I find it hard to believe our hockey viewership would tolerate some of the hiccups that often come with a student-run broadcast and the production quality. You would demand better, and rightfully so.

*On the FTA front, again just being completely frank, it would make zero business sense whatsoever for a broadcast or digital media partner such as Midco or Neulion (our web provider) to allow us to provide a FREE to air option. In fact, if my memory is correct, REA stopped publicizing those coordinates approximately six years ago (though I could be wrong on the exact timeline).

In a perfect world, an athletics department would be completely self-sufficient and we could offer free broadcasts over every possible medium to 100 percent of our fan base. But it just doesn't work that way, because we have bills to pay too.

The last year WDAZ had the contract was the last year REA provided the satellite information on their website. Having sat with Ralph both in his condo and in Mai Tai lounge in Vegas several times, I know what his intentions were as far as providing FTA for Allumni. It would seem that his plan has been highjacked for sake of money. I know from talking to people at the REA that they would uplink the games if the signal was provided to them. The resources are there. Fact is that the uplink facility was concepted and funded for that very prupose. Which of course added a technology educational value to the Areospace school. Ralph and his staff had Vision. UND is lucky he liked them.

Jayson, I think my question may have gotten lost in the crap storm that started flying later in the weekend. I'd e-mail you, but I thought it best to have the question posed and answered where others could see it. I thought of sending you a PM to make you aware of my question on this forum, but that seemed a bit too pushy, although I can see too how you might find that helpful - maybe that's something else you can address - when posting a question to you on these forums, would you prefer getting a PM from the poster to alert you of it? Anywho, in order to avoid having to dig back through the thread to see what my original question was, please find it below:

"...Big Sky TV has a very nice feature - it can be streamed natively on an iPad - will UND Insider be able to do the same from the outset for Men's home hockey games this season? Thanks"

Actually, it's not. I come here whenever I have a few free minutes to see what's being discussed. If I can contribute, I do. But even if it were a part of my social media duties, that wouldn't necessarily mean those duties require me to be on call 24/7 and I hope fans understand that.

Again, I don't think many fans would accuse me of being hard to find. I post here under my real name. My email address (jayson.hajdu@athletics.und.edu) and phone number are published at UNDsports.com. I frequently engage with fans on Twitter via @UNDSID. You can also find me on a pair of live chats every weekend throughout the entire hockey season. So if someone asks me a question and it's not answered right away, it's probably because I'm either tending to some other duties (which are many), or I'm enjoying a little time off with my family as anyone else would.

Having said that, no part of my job description mandates that I tolerate rudeness. I've said this here before and I'll say it again: as long as the conversations are civil and polite, I'll have all kinds of time to interact with you folks. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of my job. In a professional sense, it provides me with a forum to not only provide information, but to provide accurate information where needed. From a personal standpoint, it allows me to talk UND Athletics, which is my passion as much as it is yours. After all, I was a student before I was an employee, a fan before an administrator.

Jayson, I think my question may have gotten lost in the crap storm that started flying later in the weekend. I'd e-mail you, but I thought it best to have the question posed and answered where others could see it. I thought of sending you a PM to make you aware of my question on this forum, but that seemed a bit too pushy, although I can see too how you might find that helpful - maybe that's something else you can address - when posting a question to you on these forums, would you prefer getting a PM from the poster to alert you of it? Anywho, in order to avoid having to dig back through the thread to see what my original question was, please find it below:

"...Big Sky TV has a very nice feature - it can be streamed natively on an iPad - will UND Insider be able to do the same from the outset for Men's home hockey games this season? Thanks"

Actually, it's not a bad idea to alert me via PM if a question has been directed to me. I can't say that I see every post on every thread, so that would be helpful.

Regarding iPad streaming, our iPad app has actually been in development for some time now and we're a little frustrated ourselves that we haven't been able to launch it yet. I went to our own Matt Schill for an update. Here's what he gave me:

"The short answer is yes, but we don't know a specific timetable. Men's hockey will be streamed to the UND Sports Android and iPhone apps for the upcoming year. We continue to work on a specific iPad app, but continue to find roadblocks along the way. I believe iPad users can use the iPhone app and stream the games, but we can't guarantee the results yet. Finally, Neulion (our web provider) is moving away from Flash to HTML5, which will allow all UND Insider to be viewed through tablet browsers. Neulion is currently in the test phase and should be available in the near future."

I hope this answers your question.

*While it does appear to be a nice idea in theory, if I can be completely frank here, there is no way this would fly with a fan base as demanding (and I use the word in the most complimentary way) as ours. Having seen so much vitriolic criticism from some fans over the years of professionally-run broadcasts (Midco, FOX Sports North, CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc.), I find it hard to believe our hockey viewership would tolerate some of the hiccups that often come with a student-run broadcast and the production quality. You would demand better, and rightfully

Originaly that is all Ralph expected was a two camera student production of the hockey to be uplinked nationwide for all Allumni. That is why the TV control room was built into the REA with two cameras.

You seem to assume that everyone who is a UND hockey fan or Allumni can afford cable, or other video sources. That is a false idea.

WDAZ provided the games free to the public within their broadcast area. Free! Did that effect ticket sales?

There are some Allumni that for reasons beyond their control are not able to spend 30, 40 50 dollars or more a month for cable.

If they have a little extra money, they more likely to send it to feed childern in some far off place then spend it on a cable bill.

Even the annual fee for the webcast may mean a choice between not filling a months worth of prepscriptions during the year or a few less meals. That is all based on if they happen to live somewhere that Midco provides services. That is what is wrong with the current system. If you have, you get. If you are struggling, your screwed.

Maybe the University should direct funds to a foundation that helps those UND Allumni or hockey fans on hardtimes by paying the fee Midco and/or Neulion expect. A new charity could be born!

*While it does appear to be a nice idea in theory, if I can be completely frank here, there is no way this would fly with a fan base as demanding (and I use the word in the most complimentary way) as ours. Having seen so much vitriolic criticism from some fans over the years of professionally-run broadcasts (Midco, FOX Sports North, CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc.), I find it hard to believe our hockey viewership would tolerate some of the hiccups that often come with a student-run broadcast and the production quality. You would demand better, and rightfully

Originaly that is all Ralph expected was a two camera student production of the hockey to be uplinked nationwide for all Allumni. That is why the TV control room was built into the REA with two cameras.You seem to assume that everyone who is a UND hockey fan or Allumni can afford cable, or other video sources. That is a false idea. There are some Allumni that for reasons beyond their control are not able to spend 30, 40 50 dollars or more a month for cable.. Even the annual fee for the webcast may mean a choice between not filling a months worth of prepscriptions during the year or a few less meals. That is all based on if they happen to live somewhere that Midco provides services. That is what is wrong with the current system. If you have, you get. If you are struggling, your screwed. Maybe the University should direct funds to a foundation that helps those UND Allumni or hockey fans on hardtimes by paying the fee Midco and/or Neulion expect. A new charity could be born!

And here I thought they put a production control room in the Ralph for that big thing hanging over the ice...

There are some Allumni that for reasons beyond their control are not able to spend 30, 40 50 dollars or more a month for cable.

Even the annual fee for the webcast may mean a choice between not filling a months worth of prepscriptions during the year or a few less meals. That is all based on if they happen to live somewhere that Midco provides services. That is what is wrong with the current system. If you have, you get. If you are struggling, your screwed.

Maybe the University should direct funds to a foundation that helps those UND Allumni or hockey fans on hardtimes by paying the fee Midco and/or Neulion expect. A new charity could be born!

So you're expecting the University (or Athletics) to foot the bill for some, but not everyone? With all due respect, if that's the case you and I will probably never come to agreement on this. Like I said, in a perfect world, everything would be free for everyone, Oprah-style (You get a webcast, and you get a webcast, and you get a webcast...).

But it's simply not realistic. I am sorry. I can say with all sincerity that we are doing everything we can to produce high-quality programming that reaches as many people through as many platforms as possible. Having said that, we still have to operate within our means in terms of budget and manpower.

• Upvote 3

Originaly that is all Ralph expected was a two camera student production of the hockey to be uplinked nationwide for all Allumni. That is why the TV control room was built into the REA with two cameras.

You seem to assume that everyone who is a UND hockey fan or Allumni can afford cable, or other video sources. That is a false idea.

WDAZ provided the games free to the public within their broadcast area. Free! Did that effect ticket sales?

If they have a little extra money, they more likely to send it to feed childern in some far off place then spend it on a cable bill.

Yeah, but WDAZ didn't have a penalty clock!!

Also, whole lot of dreaming and wishful thinking in your post.

I obviously don't speak for all fta'ers....but I think I can speak for most. Most of us were very happy that und sports were available via Fta satellite. Every fta'er realizes that feeds come and go and most don't expect feeds. They are always a pleasant surprise. I for one will miss und being Fta. But will definitely appreciate every game that may happen to be up there in the clear.

• Upvote 1

So you're expecting the University (or Athletics) to foot the bill for some, but not everyone? With all due respect, if that's the case you and I will probably never come to agreement on this. Like I said, in a perfect world, everything would be free for everyone, Oprah-style (You get a webcast, and you get a webcast, and you get a webcast...).

But it's simply not realistic. I am sorry. I can say with all sincerity that we are doing everything we can to produce high-quality programming that reaches as many people through as many platforms as possible. Having said that, we still have to operate within our means in terms of budget and manpower.

Jayson, it seems that you purposely left out this line from my post:

If 2500 people decided to not spend the $79.95 for an annual video feed, that would be $199,875. About what UND receives from Midco for broadcast rights. Most charities can feed a child for about a dollar per day, that would be 199,875 children fed for one day.

Now I hear the rumblings of well that doesn't help world hunger much! True it doesn't unless you are one of those hungery kids being feed. Then it is a HUGE DEAL. I say listen to hockey on the radio and spend your money to feed a child somewhere. Or maybe UND should start donating a small porition of the online media sales toward feeding kids. A couple dollars from each subscricption would feed a lot of empty stomaches.

So seeing the statement about manpower and budget is hard to digest when UND is now receiving 5 times as much money then they were three seasons ago. WE would ALL love to receive five times as much money then what we functioned on three seasons ago.

If 2500 people decided to not spend the $79.95 for an annual video feed, that would be $199,875. About what UND receives from Midco for broadcast rights. Most charities can feed a child for about a dollar per day, that would be 199,875 children fed for one day.

Now I hear the rumblings of well that doesn't help world hunger much! True it doesn't unless you are one of those hungery kids being feed. Then it is a HUGE DEAL. I say listen to hockey on the radio and spend your money to feed a child somewhere. Or maybe UND should start donating a small porition of the online media sales toward feeding kids. A couple dollars from each subscricption would feed a lot of empty stomaches.

So seeing the statement about manpower and budget is hard to digest when UND is now receiving 5 times as much money then they were three seasons ago. WE would ALL love to receive five times as much money then what we functioned on three seasons ago.

Did you really just try to turn this into a "what about the starving kids in Africa" argument?

Most people are already spending that money on an expanded package for their cable or satellite in order to get FCS. I believe Midco's ran around $6/month before taxes, which is $72, just short of what the annual subscription your talking about costs.

Most people are already spending that money on an expanded package for their cable or satellite in order to get FCS. I believe Midco's ran around $6/month before taxes, which is $72, just short of what the annual subscription your talking about costs.

Then maybe most people should reassess where they spend their money. The subscription I mentioned is the annual fee on the UND Sports site.

if you are paying for cable or satellite, then you have already flushed a large amount of money down the drain. What 30,50 75,or 100 dollars a month.

More then that? 360, 600, 900, or 1200 dollars a year. Or more? Now take that times years say $75 a month x 10 years = $9000.out of your savings. Put $67.50 in a savings account, donate 10% of the $75 or $7.50/month to feed kids.Then learn to read a book and listen to the radio at the same time. Its good for your brain. It will make life much richer.

Then maybe most people should reassess where they spend their money. The subscription I mentioned is the annual fee on the UND Sports site.

if you are paying for cable or satellite, then you have already flushed a large amount of money down the drain. What 30,50 75,or 100 dollars a month.

More then that? 360, 600, 900, or 1200 dollars a year. Or more? Now take that times years say $75 a month x 10 years = $9000.out of your savings. Put $67.50 in a savings account, donate 10% of the $75 or $7.50/month to feed kids.Then learn to read a book and listen to the radio at the same time. Its good for your brain. It will make life much richer.

This thread has officially jumped the shark.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you should look into donating what you spend on internet each month to starving children. Seems like a win for everyone involved.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you should look into donating what you spend on internet each month to starving children. Seems like a win for everyone involved.

Many mouths are fed daily from this home.

Can I stop past your place for a donation?.......................................................................Don't bother answering. I already know the answer.

To you and all the others on this site: "may peace be with you".

Thanks.

Actually, it's not a bad idea to alert me via PM if a question has been directed to me. I can't say that I see every post on every thread, so that would be helpful.

Regarding iPad streaming, our iPad app has actually been in development for some time now and we're a little frustrated ourselves that we haven't been able to launch it yet. I went to our own Matt Schill for an update. Here's what he gave me:

"The short answer is yes, but we don't know a specific timetable. Men's hockey will be streamed to the UND Sports Android and iPhone apps for the upcoming year. We continue to work on a specific iPad app, but continue to find roadblocks along the way. I believe iPad users can use the iPhone app and stream the games, but we can't guarantee the results yet. Finally, Neulion (our web provider) is moving away from Flash to HTML5, which will allow all UND Insider to be viewed through tablet browsers. Neulion is currently in the test phase and should be available in the near future."

I hope this answers your question.

That's VERY good to hear (about using HTML5 instead of Flash). Now that you mention it, I emailed them a couple months ago asking why they were still using an old, archaic technology to stream the content (Flash) and I never got a response from them. Hopefully they get this transition done quickly.