SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I just can't believe we're even having this discussion right now.

Jerry York: 12 seasons (then went 17 more)

Ron Mason: 20 seasons

Red Berenson: 12 seasons

Don Lucia: 15 seasons

George Gwozdecky: 15 seasons

Shawn Walsh: 9 seasons

"Badger" Bob Johnson: 10 seasons

These are the supposed legends of college hockey coaching, at least in the last 30 years. What would have been if people had given up on them, as people did with Hak, after about 8 years?

Or look at other sports.

Nick Saban: 9 years

Mike Krzyzewski: 17 years

Geno Auriemma: 10 years

Dean Smith: 21 years

Dean Smith went 20 seasons in which he won 9 regular season championships, 8 ACC tournament championships, and never sniffed the big one. Ask Carolina fans whether they think Dean should have been canned.

Even the great John Wooden, probably as close to a deity as this country has in coaching, went 19 years as a head coach, including 16 at UCLA, before he won a championship, then won what, like 10 in a row?

I could probably go on all day with examples. Winning a championship is about being a good coach and recruiter, which Hak clearly is, but it's also about timing, luck, a hundred variables that you can't control. For every situation like a Dean Blais who comes in and wins one in his first 3 seasons there are many other great, great coaches who go many years without savoring that first championship.

9-10 years is nothing in a coaching career. I want to win as bad as anyone, but man some in this fanbase have really become cliffjumpers in a hurry.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Fans or media from other teams, or any outsider looking in on this forum with 59 pages of "Fire Hak" discussion, have to be laughing or thinking what kind of crazy fan base we have. I realize that this topic was kind of created out of jest, but it has to appear to others that we are a bit delusional in our thinking, especially when you juxtapose it to the problems our football team has had. Certainly by posting I am only adding to the post total, but if there was a better titled thread that addressed issues the hockey team needs to get better at, that would be more fitting in my eyes, and not make the fan base look so bent on firing every coach that doesn't fulfill the ultimate prize within the expected time frame.

Fans or media from other teams, or any outsider looking in on this forum with 59 pages of "Fire Hak" discussion, have to be laughing or thinking what kind of crazy fan base we have. I realize that this topic was kind of created out of jest, but it has to appear to others that we are a bit delusional in our thinking, especially when you juxtapose it to the problems our football team has had. Certainly by posting I am only adding to the post total, but if there was a better titled thread that addressed issues the hockey team needs to get better at, that would be more fitting in my eyes, and not make the fan base look so bent on firing every coach that doesn't fulfill the ultimate prize within the expected time frame.

I imagine this same thing happens with various big-time FB programs as well. For example, I would imagine a lot of Florida FB fans are chomping at the bit for a change after losing to Georgia Southern (a team without a passing game) last weekend. Same thing with Alabama and Auburn FB. If coaches there don't win conference and/or national championships, they are gone. The more passionate the fan base, the more "crazy" the comments are. I don't think it's a vice, I think it's a virtue. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Regardless of what side of the debate one is on...I don't see 59 pages of crazy, I see 59 pages of passion! :lol:

I imagine this same thing happens with various big-time FB programs as well. For example, I would imagine a lot of Florida FB fans are chomping at the bit for a change after losing to Georgia Southern (a team without a passing game) last weekend. Same thing with Alabama and Auburn FB. If coaches there don't win conference and/or national championships, they are gone. The more passionate the fan base, the more "crazy" the comments are. I don't think it's a vice, I think it's a virtue. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

But sometimes, fightingsioux4life, that passion can't be taken back. Tennessee fans couldn't wait to get rid of Phil Fulmer...think they'd like to have him back now after the past several years of coaching fiascos they have undergone there?

But sometimes, fightingsioux4life, that passion crosses the line. Tennessee fans couldn't wait to get rid of Phil Fulmer...think they'd like to have him back now after the past several years of coaching fiascos they have undergone there?

Yes, coaching changes don't always work out. But that falls squarely on the Presidents and Athletic Directors, who are constantly besieged by wealthy donors and alums to make changes for whatever reasons. They have to have the discipline and the guts to say no when a change is not really warranted. Otherwise, they shouldn't be in their jobs.

...Presidents and Athletic Directors, who are constantly besieged by wealthy donors and alums to make changes for whatever reasons. They have to have the discipline and the guts to say no when a change is not really warranted. Otherwise, they shouldn't be in their jobs.

Spot-on. It's a shame that some good coaches are run out of town (especially in college football) because they can't win an NCAA title. It's not that easy.

One hockey coach I'd like to see win an NCAA title before he retires: Dick Umile of UNH.

Spot-on. It's a shame that some good coaches are run out of town (especially in college football) because they can't win an NCAA title. It's not that easy.

One hockey coach I'd like to see win an NCAA title before he retires: Dick Umile of UNH.

One hockey coach I'd like to see win an NCAA title before he leaves: Dave Hakstol of UND.

• Upvote 3

UNH has gotten close a couple of times (they lost to Maine in OT in the 1999 title game for instance). Yeah, it would be cool if he could finish his coaching career with an NCAA title.

Actually a lot of media from around the country are calling for Muschamps head at Florida, whereas you get guys like Dave Starman and even the Twin Cities announcers that have nothing but kudos (except for how his teams play :silly: ) for Hakstol and the way he gets his guys playing well the second half of the year. Both programs have a lot of built in advantages, but lately Florida hasn't been able to compete that well even with the cream of the crop players.

UNH has gotten close a couple of times (they lost to Maine in OT in the 1999 title game for instance). Yeah, it would be cool if he could finish his coaching career with an NCAA title.

And got smoked by Minnesota in 2003. UNH's big player (forget his name) was injured in the semi-final win. The Gophers took UNH out behind the woodshed in the title game.

Actually a lot of media from around the country are calling for Muschamps head at Florida, whereas you get guys like Dave Starman and even the Twin Cities announcers that have nothing but kudos (except for how his teams play :silly: ) for Hakstol and the way he gets his guys playing well the second half of the year. Both programs have a lot of built in advantages, but lately Florida hasn't been able to compete that well even with the cream of the crop players.

Another factor in the Florida FB situation is that there are so many other FBS programs in the state that will take advantage of the current putrid state of the program in recruiting. The path from greatness to mediocrity is short and the path back to prominence is much, much longer (and rockier).

But sometimes, fightingsioux4life, that passion can't be taken back. Tennessee fans couldn't wait to get rid of Phil Fulmer...think they'd like to have him back now after the past several years of coaching fiascos they have undergone there?

That's like the girl who won't break up with her high school loser boyfriend...fear of the unknown...

Dave's Father-In-Law has nothing to do with this. Hak was recommended by coach Blais himself... Hakstol stands on his merits alone.

Dave got the job on his merits, yes; but this rumbling is out there.

I noted the alignment of Dave's latest deal just before O'Keefe's announcement. To me that signals a clearing of the way to a change, if need be, down the road.

Because the Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley eras were much better than Fulmer, right?

Have to be honest with you, I couldn't tell you who any of those people are without google

I was actually just saying that you don't know what might or might not happen and you can't be paralyzed into complacency by a pretty good thing. The grass might not always be greener, but sometimes it is, and you'll never know if you don't give it a shot. The result isn't what you want, move on.