SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

yeah, but he was supposed to be a gopher... they just ran out of scholarships. :silly:

Well, everybody knows that the only reason Herb Brooks wasn't allowed to take the 1979 Gophers and nobody else was because the Olympic committee only felt it fair to have a few kids from outside of Minnesota represent the USA.

Marc Johnson (Wisco), a few BU guys Ken Morrow (stud defense, don't know where he played), Eruzione (captain, BU), Christian (UND) changing to D, those were the most important players on the Olympic team. Several MN guys also, which is why Gopher fans like to pull a Bison and claim a paper NCAA championship that the Sioux won.

9 Gophers, 12 Minnesotans overall on the roster plus the head coach so yes Minnesota hockey fans certainly have a lot of pride when it comes to that team.

'85 Georgetown beats Villanova 9 times out of 10...but not that ONE time.

2011 fighting sioux beat michigan 7 out of ten times, but unfortunately not that ONE time either. in a one and done these things happen and that is the beauty of sports, on any given night.

2011 fighting sioux beat Michigan 9 out of ten times, but unfortunately not that ONE time either. in a one and done these things happen and that is the beauty of sports, on any given night.

FYP. Yes, even in hockey. UND was way better than EVERYBODY that year.

1998 fighting sioux beat michigan 9 out of ten times, but unfortunately not that ONE time either, especially since it was in Ann Arbor and Michigan had the hometown Yost folks going mad. How on earth Michigan was a #4 seed while Michigan State and Ohio State duked it out in the #2 vs #3 game is beyond me. in a one and done these things happen and that is the beauty of sports, on any given night.

Fixed your post.

So was the bigger upset BU beating the 97 Wolverines in the Frozen 4 or the 98 Michigan squad taking down UND? (disregarding the fact that it was likely MafiaMans fault in 98)

In all seriousness, the '98 Wolverines beating the Sioux at Yost wasn't nearly as big of an upset as people think...that Michigan team was loaded.

Had that game been in Grand Forks and UND pounced on that 2-0 lead like they did, I think Michigan would have folded like a pup tent and lost 7-0.

• Upvote 1

In all seriousness, the '98 Wolverines beating the Sioux at Yost wasn't nearly as big of an upset as people think...that Michigan team was loaded.

Had that game been in Grand Forks and UND pounced on that 2-0 lead like they did, I think Michigan would have folded like a pup tent and lost 7-0.

agree and I don't care what people say the fact it was at yost(it is very difficult to win there) doesn't make it as big as mich losing to bu or even mich beating und in 2011. those two were bigger, but not as big as minny losing to holy cross.

• Upvote 1

Allow me to be blunt:

Hakstol signed a new deal (to 2017 I think) as his father-in-law stepped away from heading the Alumni Foundation.

I think everyone, including Dave, knows he needs to hang a green banner (north end rafters at REA) under this deal or (a) he'll be confirmed as UND's "Doug Woog" and (b) he won't be signing a new deal.

He's setting his defensive corps for the future as they take longer to mature. The forwards are lined up.

Dave knows. He'll execute, or he won't.

• Upvote 4

Allow me to be blunt:

Hakstol signed a new deal (to 2017 I think) as his father-in-law stepped away from heading the Alumni Foundation.

I think everyone, including Dave, knows he needs to hang a green banner (north end rafters at REA) under this deal or (a) he'll be confirmed as UND's "Doug Woog" and (b) he won't be signing a new deal.

He's setting his defensive corps for the future as they take longer to mature. The forwards are lined up.

Dave knows. He'll execute, or he won't.

That is a pretty good analysis of the situation.

Allow me to be blunt:

Dave's Father-In-Law has nothing to do with this. Hak was recommended by coach Blais himself... Hakstol stands on his merits alone.

Mafia Man jinxed the team didn't he? :D