SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Agree, and I didn't write that very well...I meant to imply that the woman was in college or older and still with her high school loser boyfriend and wouldn't break up.

Or the loser they found when they were in thier 50's. Worse are the ones in their 20s and 30s with the loser who abuses her kids, then sticks up for him. Best I could find.

"I wondered how often this was happening. But in trying to quantify the problem, I came to find that no one really knows how bad it is or whether it's getting worse. No one keeps track.

"The data availability is disappointing," said UNLV assistant sociology professor Andrew Spivak, an expert in examining FBI Uniform Crime Reports and Supplemental Homicide Reports. He pointed out the documents list 17 categories for a homicide victim's relationship to the killer, and "mother's boyfriend" isn't one of them. They would fall under the broad category of "acquaintance," which happens to account for 38 percent of solved homicides from 2009, the most of any subset". http://www.reviewjournal.com/glenn-cook/single-moms-boyfriends-and-dead-kids

I just can't believe we're even having this discussion right now.

Jerry York: 12 seasons (then went 17 more)

Ron Mason: 20 seasons

Red Berenson: 12 seasons

Don Lucia: 15 seasons

George Gwozdecky: 15 seasons

Shawn Walsh: 9 seasons

"Badger" Bob Johnson: 10 seasons

These are the supposed legends of college hockey coaching, at least in the last 30 years. What would have been if people had given up on them, as people did with Hak, after about 8 years?

Or look at other sports.

Nick Saban: 9 years

Mike Krzyzewski: 17 years

Geno Auriemma: 10 years

Dean Smith: 21 years

Dean Smith went 20 seasons in which he won 9 regular season championships, 8 ACC tournament championships, and never sniffed the big one. Ask Carolina fans whether they think Dean should have been canned.

Even the great John Wooden, probably as close to a deity as this country has in coaching, went 19 years as a head coach, including 16 at UCLA, before he won a championship, then won what, like 10 in a row?

I could probably go on all day with examples. Winning a championship is about being a good coach and recruiter, which Hak clearly is, but it's also about timing, luck, a hundred variables that you can't control. For every situation like a Dean Blais who comes in and wins one in his first 3 seasons there are many other great, great coaches who go many years without savoring that first championship.

9-10 years is nothing in a coaching career. I want to win as bad as anyone, but man some in this fanbase have really become cliffjumpers in a hurry.

im not saying to fire hak because of the ten years at und but the whole of his coaching career...iirc someone on here looked up his entire coaching career and hak has never won one championship...at any level...ever.

• Upvote 1

So, if I understand this, Hak should be fired not because he hasn't won at UND, but because he didn't win a USHL championship before coming to UND. This site is getting to be painful to read. What an entitled bunch our fan base has become.

• Upvote 4

Have to be honest with you, I couldn't tell you who any of those people are without google

I was actually just saying that you don't know what might or might not happen and you can't be paralyzed into complacency by a pretty good thing. The grass might not always be greener, but sometimes it is, and you'll never know if you don't give it a shot. The result isn't what you want, move on.

Tennessee fired Fulmer after a couple of down years at UT - he had won a national title there but folks were antsy after Florida won a couple and - POOF! - Bye bye coach. Dooley was a disaster and year one of another new coach doesn't look much better.

im not saying to fire hak because of the ten years at und but the whole of his coaching career...iirc someone on here looked up his entire coaching career and hak has never won one championship...at any level...ever.

So now it's a requirement that a coach at UND has to have on his resume a national championship of some sorts? What's next? UND only recruiting kids who played on teams that have won national titles as Pee Wees?

• Upvote 2

So now it's a requirement that a coach at UND has to have on his resume a national championship of some sorts? What's next? UND only recruiting kids who played on teams that have won national titles as Pee Wees?

Pretty stiff requirements.

If you don't go top 10 in the bantam draft you might as well hang 'em up

He's a very good coach but no Championships is THE issue and UND expects championships. Maybe it's bad luck, bad mojo, bad karma, whatever, in the final analysis his teams don't get it done.

We aren't here to get to the Final Four. We are UND hockey and we seek titles. If the coach can't bring them we bring in a new coach.

As another poster noted, no one thought Gino (who won Titles) would be shown the door. Hak does NOT have Ginos record so this would not be unprecedented.

• Upvote 2

Why is that idiotic? Why don't we seek more? Why isn't a title in ten years a requirement to keep your job? Who couldn't recruit to this program? What kid wouldn't want to play in this arena with that many fans?

Look at how long so many of the other marquee programs have gone without a title. Under Hakstol, UND has yet to have a down season. Always very competetive, always relevant, always a winner. At this point, to fire a coach with Hakstol's track record would be shortsighted, rash, and foolhardy. The title will come.

...no Championships is THE issue and UND expects championships.

We are UND hockey and we seek titles.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College, Maine, Boston U, and UNH all expect championships and seek titles too. Hell, so do Yale, RIT, Northern Michigan, UMD, St Cloud, Denver, Lake Superior State, RPI, Vermont, Yale, Mercyhurst, Harvard, Bemidji State, Notre Dame, Ferris State, Providence...

He's a very good coach but no Championships is THE issue and UND expects championships. Maybe it's bad luck, bad mojo, bad karma, whatever, in the final analysis his teams don't get it done.

We aren't here to get to the Final Four. We are UND hockey and we seek titles. If the coach can't bring them we bring in a new coach.

As another poster noted, no one thought Gino (who won Titles) would be shown the door. Hak does NOT have Ginos record so this would not be unprecedented.

3 of them in an 9 years even. Hak how many...

Why is that idiotic? Why don't we seek more? Why isn't a title in ten years a requirement to keep your job? Who couldn't recruit to this program? What kid wouldn't want to play in this arena with that many fans?

Minnesota went 1979-2002, how many coaches would that school have to fire? Yale just won it's first title. Some are starting to sound like entitlement fans.

Minnesota went 1979-2002, how many coaches would that school have to fire? Yale just won it's first title. Some are starting to sound like entitlement fans.

But, Goon, we have the nicest arena and it's full. Nobody can hold a candle to that, can they?